Note to New Members ×

Upsizing liners

dshack

New year, new liners...I'm done with the non-thermo raichle ones in my boots at the moment. I think I'm going to pick up some intuition or thermoflex liners, but I had a question: has anyone heard of *up*-sizing your liners, ie buying bigger than the shell? My shells are the right size according to the finger test (24), but with an unmolded 24 thermoflex liner (Scarpa-branded, but I think it's a Raichle OEM), my toes press up against the front of the liner pretty painfully, and I wonder if a half size up on the liner would even be enough to give them some room.

Would a 25 liner in a 24 boot be a bad plan?

Intuition makes their liners in low & high volume for a given mondo size.

My raichle thermo flex are starting to feel sloppy so I bought the high volume luxury liners as replacements (I have skinny heels & ankles), haven't molded them yet but I think they'll be great after test fitting in the shells.:biggthump

Contact # on the website (google intuition liners) to ask what type would fit best.

New year, new liners...I'm done with the non-thermo raichle ones in my boots at the moment. I think I'm going to pick up some intuition or thermoflex liners, but I had a question: has anyone heard of *up*-sizing your liners, ie buying bigger than the shell? My shells are the right size according to the finger test (24), but with an unmolded 24 thermoflex liner (Scarpa-branded, but I think it's a Raichle OEM), my toes press up against the front of the liner pretty painfully, and I wonder if a half size up on the liner would even be enough to give them some room.

Would a 25 liner in a 24 boot be a bad plan?

yes, a very bad plan

you need to mold the liner for it to fit. I can't even get my foot in a boot that has a unmolded liner and once it's molded they pack out to be too big fairly fast compared to other liners. remolding every 30 to 50 days is what I do.

all a bigger liner will do is add material and add to the potential of creases forming in the liner when you mold it.

If the toe press is all you get from unmolded liners, that's pretty easy to fix when molding. Add more material (piece of neoprene, cotton bud, anything...) at the pressure point and mold like that. It would open the extra space and feel fine when the add-on material is removed.

As for the half size bigger liner, it can be done (but it dosn't sound that you really need it). I can fit into most 25.5 AND 26.5 shells using the 26 Dalbello liner (shell is almost always marked, for example, 25-25.5, on the inner lower). There is no way that I could use 25 liner in 25.5 shell... With 26 liner in 25.5 shell I didn't notice any creasses forming, just really tight fit. Those 26 into 25.5 experiments included Nordica liner in Nordica boot, Dalbello liner in Nordica, Nordica in Dalbello, Dalbello in AF700, Kneissel (Deluxe) in AF700...

Ah, almost forgot the important part of the puzzle - my feet are closer to Mondo 26.5 then 26! :freak3:

Again, I believe that you do not need bigger liners. Just mold them properly.

As the guys above have said, you can solve the toe room issues pretty easily. If you get your liners fitted f/ a shop that knows what they are doing, they should have toe caps - it does exactly what need - makes space for the toes. It's pretty much standard practice. If it's really, really tight, you can even double up on the toe caps.

Liners always feel ridiculously tight before being molded. Don't judge the fit by how they feel on your foot out of the shell on your living room floor. Liners have a bit of forward lean built into them, so they push your foot forward which presses on the toes.

IMO, you can up size your liners. I have done it on my current 25 700T's w/ older 26 Raichle liners. At the shop where I get my liners molded, one of the gals there who tele's and does most of the moldings has a really small foot and thermo's don't come in her size, so she has a size larger liner than shell. She also told me she thinks it's a good practice because the extra foam better makes a tighter fit around your foot and fills in any gaps between your foot & shell. This makes sense to me - the foam is very malleable and will compress/expand where there's space or not.

Another good trick (that Fin does and some shops don't) is after your got the hot liner on your foot, slip a nylon stocking over the liner before you put it into the shell. This helps reduce the risks of the liner twisting or getting creases. If your shop doesn't have stockings, bring a pair with you. Make sure they're fishnets w/ a line up the back and don't forget your high heels. :biggthump

some days ago I successfully used 29 intuitions in 28 raichle 325 shell - to tune down internal volume without going to 27-sized shell. no problems, all was OK. I part with shells long time ago - but intuitions - after possibly 5 rebakes - still going in my touring-mountaineering trips in other boots.