Note to New Members ×

Snowboard Helmets vs. Bike and Snowmobile Helmets

DPronin

I'm almost set for the season except for the helmet. I'm looking for a helmet with the jaw protection. I noticed that the snowboard helmets are more expensive than the bike and snowmobile helmets, plus there is not much variety when it comes to full face snowboard helmets. I was comparing Giro Remedy S Comp to the regular motorcross helmets and modular helmets. Is there a specific reason why snowboard full face helmet is more expensive than the bike or snowmobile helmet? I know that bike helmet would be bigger than the snowboard helmet but would that creat a problem or discomfort? Can you guys help me out with this? Thanks!

...if you are buying a motorcycle helmet that is cheaper than a snowboard helmet, you are buying one cheap-ass helmet.

That's not necessarily a bad thing - if it's passed the CE tests then it qualifies as safe, and there is a certain school of thought that the further certifications only help in some very track-oriented edge cases, and *decrease* protection / increase risk of concussion in "normal" crashes. The only safety-related reasons to plonk down bigger money on a lid are fit and noise issues (both of which are major concerns on a bike - if it doesn't fit, then it doesn't protect as it should, and long-term exposure to high noise levels is bad for you). If you can find a cheap helmet that fits, and you're either not worried about the noise issue, or you don't blast around at silly speeds all day, then there's no good reason *not* to buy it.

For example, the predecessor to this helmet - http://www.motostrano.com/z1rphantom.html - under $100 retail - beat *all* the massively expensive helmets in terms of energy transmitted to the skull in testing, to the point of being "safe" in tests far exceeding the most violent tests currently used (marginally over 200G on a 185J hit, with Snell's hardest test specifying no more than 300Gs on a 150J hit)

That said, yes, a bike helmet would probably be too heavy for boarding (not to mention that the testing for bike helmets takes into account a totally different set of parameters to that used for ski helmet testing, hence the different CE numbers). Personally, I find that anything heavier than a hat is too heavy for snowboarding, but that's a whole different can of worms.

As far as DPronin is concerned, presumably the reason for wearing a helmet is for safety - it's worth considering that, should a major injury happen and your insurance company find out you were injured whilst wearing a helmet *not* tested for use in snowsports, you'd probably find yourself SOL as far as getting any insurance payout. If you're gonna buy a helmet, make sure it's tested to CE standard EN1077. And remember - helmets are disposable; if it's taken a hit, bin it.

Simon

I think motorcycle helmets (I assume this is what you mean) would be too bulky and heavy for snowboarding. Plus, if you are buying a motorcycle helmet that is cheaper than a snowboard helmet, you are buying one cheap-ass helmet.

Total thread-jack, but the winner of this extensive and scientific test was an $89 DOT-only (non-Snell) helmet:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

long article, but very very good. Snell has since changed their standards due to being "outed" in that article.

Back to the OP, I would say it's supply and demand. Very few people want full-face SB helmets. Motorcycle helmets are way too heavy for snowboarding, and I suspect BMX helmets would be too.

Helmets for board, there are few major points:

- as light as possible to save your neck

- sound, you really like to hear all possible warning sounds of other moving objects ( this confuses me allways that some persons ride and play music same time as they ride :eek::nono: )

Total thread-jack, but the winner of this extensive and scientific test was an $89 DOT-only (non-Snell) helmet:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

long article, but very very good. Snell has since changed their standards due to being "outed" in that article.

Yeah, I remember that one. Can you point me to where Snell changed their standards? Their initial response in 2005 was pretty critical of the article.

- sound, you really like to hear all possible warning sounds of other moving objects ( this confuses me allways that some persons ride and play music same time as they ride :eek::nono: )

Every time I try to ride with music, I have to turn it up too loud to overcome the sound of carving! So I don't bother. I haven't tried the earplug-style earbuds though.

Yeah, I remember that one. Can you point me to where Snell changed their standards? Their initial response in 2005 was pretty critical of the article.

Yes, it was very defensive. Surprisingly it appears Motorcyclist doesn't have the follow-up article online where Snell changed their standards.

Every time I try to ride with music, I have to turn it up too loud to overcome the sound of carving!

I'm not so much worried about noise my board makes but small sound guy straightlining behind me does not make, that is why i switched to super light open ear model of Giro 9 :ices_ange

One thing I can say about motocross helmets is the are VERY well vented. If I rode with mine my head would freeze. My boarding helmet is much warmer.

If you live where it doesn't get real cold this may not be an issue.

As far as the weight goes, mine is actually about the same as my boarding helmet. But it cost ALOT more than ANY boarding helmet.

Thanks, but that article doesn't really address the points made in the original article, it was more about Snell covering the European standard. According to the article, Snell claims their standard has always been inclusive of DOT.

If I were going to ride with a full face on a regular basis, I'd get a Sweet Trooper FF. Its comfy, great protection and the chin bar is dropped. Unlike so many other FF helmets that have that stupid raised part right in front of your mouth (like a MotoX helmet). I hate that part of FF helmets. It gets in the way visually, plus makes you shout to be heard.

For me though, FF helmets are just too damned hot to wear when I'm not either in a speed race or planning something really stupid.

Sweet:

trooper-ff_velvet-red_low-res.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not sure they're selling sweet helmets in North America this season. Not sure why.

Thanks, but that article doesn't really address the points made in the original article, it was more about Snell covering the European standard. According to the article, Snell claims their standard has always been inclusive of DOT.

More accurately, Snell has <i>come down to</i> the European standard, which allows for a softer helmet, and also conducts tests with lighter headforms for smaller sizes. Snell only tested with the same weight headform inside every helmet. Dumb.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure they're selling sweet helmets in North America this season. Not sure why.

Exchange rate. Last time I checked that helmet would go for more than $350 over here, and the dollar is lower now.

I gotta say, it is a sweet helmet though (he he).

More accurately, Snell has <i>come down to</i> the European standard, which allows for a softer helmet, and also conducts tests with lighter headforms for smaller sizes. Snell only tested with the same weight headform inside every helmet. Dumb.

Yeah, that's pretty much it - lower transmitted G's allowed on higher energy hits, and a more sensible testing regime (although the multiple high energy hits to the same impact site thing is still pretty dumb). Pretty much everything that the 2005 article covered, really.

It's horses for courses, though, really, and the most important discriminator is still fit, as long as you try to understand the compromises made in the various testing scenarios. 99.9% of consumers don't, of course. Which almost brings us back on-topic, as 99.9% of snowboarders don't understand the compromises made in designing their "gnarly", "core" planks and softboots.

Google it.

Great clear-outs on this full face helmet now that it has been replaced by the D3.

Worn by just about every snowboard cross competitor out there and an amazing lid. Also very stylish, unlike that ugly thing pictured above.

I wear mine alone in all but the coldest conditions (I live in Alberta and it gets COLD here), when I'll run a thin balaclava underneath.

This helmet gets used all year-round, on bikes, my snowmobile and electric MX... I know it's not a motorsports helmet, but whatever. I leave it on all day snowmobiling, including taking NoBoard runs.

I have this Pryme helmet sitting in my closet for 2 years. I bought it for my son but he refused to wear a full face. I know you're not supposed to buy used helmets but I guarantee this thing has never been outside.

It's a size L/XL. Let me know if you're interested and we can work out a good deal.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693161&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442499169

Thanks skategoat but I'm looking for something a little bit more different. Ideally I'm looking for a completely closed face helmet. Most of you are saying that it is too bulky and too heavy for snowboarding. I really want to know how much heavier and bigger it is so my friend is going to bring his motorcycle helmet and will let me try it on.

• 2 months later...

I have recently started wearing a Giro Remedy S carbon fiber and love it. It doesn't feel too heavy (that's why I got the carbon fiber version). The mouth guard is surprisingly low (in photos, you can see some of my mouth) so it doesn't block my voice and doesn't block my vision except extremely low. I was a bit surprised that it retained as much side-to-side and upward visibility. I thought the visor would be more useable in blocking the sun, like on my motocross helemets, but the top front of the helmet actually comes into view before the visor, so the visor seems to just be for looks. The visibility is more open and wider than any of my motorcycle helmets and, again, is the same side to side as my open face helmet.

I bought both a medium and large and decided on the large, so I have a medium for sale here: (I might be able to exchange it for a large if someone needs that size). This is a new in the box Giro Remedy S carbon fiber.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27995

pm'd :)

I have this Pryme helmet sitting in my closet for 2 years. I bought it for my son but he refused to wear a full face. I know you're not supposed to buy used helmets but I guarantee this thing has never been outside.

It's a size L/XL. Let me know if you're interested and we can work out a good deal.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693161&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442499169

Thanks skategoat but I'm looking for something a little bit more different. Ideally I'm looking for a completely closed face helmet. Most of you are saying that it is too bulky and too heavy for snowboarding. I really want to know how much heavier and bigger it is so my friend is going to bring his motorcycle helmet and will let me try it on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply: Ya , weight , bulk & lack of hearing is the issue with motorcycle helmets, but here is the best most versatile one around, its my road-sport bike helmet.

If I ever get up to the 60's or above in speed I will bring my Nolan N43 Air along, till then I will stick with my Scott.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n43trilogyncom.htm

PS: Yes some very cheap helmets meet or beat some of the much more expensive helmet's in A.N.S.I testing , "but" they are usually very UN-comfortable to wear lacking all the plush cushiness & extra goodies that high end lid's have.