*Ace*

Searching around and came across this.

Reverse camber/sidecut.

5864_b.jpg

les-contres-pentes,14399-5.jpg

Here is some video.

http://vimeo.com/2475023

Looks like it makes some nice turns!

This was an updated version that has the sidecut extended.

6666_b.jpg

6669_b.jpg6670_b.jpg

All info was pulled from:

http://skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1648&sid=5ce14304fff51aa01449b7b0db1248df

Thoughts?

Searching around and came across this.

Reverse camber/sidecut.

5864_b.jpg

les-contres-pentes,14399-5.jpg

Here is some video.

http://vimeo.com/2475023

Looks like it makes some nice turns!

This was an updated version that has the sidecut extended.

6666_b.jpg

6669_b.jpg6670_b.jpg

All info was pulled from:

http://skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1648&sid=5ce14304fff51aa01449b7b0db1248df

Thoughts?

I've talked to Sean, (Donek), some about a powder Skwal. I have to admit I didn't think about the reverse sidecut. I'm not sure how it would act on the groomed. I was thinking more along the lines of the old Monoski Pintail design.

Whatever would work I want one.

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

I rode with a guy on cat at revy two years ago with some reverse sidecut/reverse camber skis (sorry, cant remember what kind - not a skier) and he ripped in the deep, but at the end of the day heading back to the lodge the guy was a disaster on the cat tracks. Reminded me of an old trick when you'd put clear tape of some poor guys skate blades and wait for him to jump over the boards on his first shift. That and they chattered something fierce on the groom throwing up enough snow that i made a point of not riding behind him. Over beers he said it was worth the problems for the benefits in the waist deep. He said they got up on top and handled like water skis.

I would think you could make it slightly more manageable on groomers and cat tracks by talking an 18" portion right between the feet and flattening out the reverse sidecut or even adding slight positive sidecut there, while still maintaining the overall shape. I would think that would have little to no negative effect on the pow ride, while making it a bit safer/manageable on the groomed runout stuff.

Wow, didn't think was Off Topic.

:confused:

I guess some people have no love for the Skwal...

ANYWAYS...

Its almost has to be a dedicated POW board with that shape.

Something you only ride in the back country, or when it really dumps.

Its a purpose built board.

Similar to the Lib Tech Travis Rice Banana Hammock.

LIB9-WB9180.jpg

Don, mind posting some pics of a pintail monoski?

LOL. I have Reverse Camber, Reverse Sidecut skis that are about that size. And I got a pair for $400. They're 136 under foot and are absolutely killer in pow and soft snow. But I really don't get the idea of a Skwal for pow. But I'd love to see someone on one.

If you want a custom Skwal, I suspect this guy could build one for you cheap. Hell, he only charges $333 for a pair of skis. And I know for sure that he could add a set of binding inserts for your skwal bindings. www.333skis.com

Sinecure

Thanks for sharing that link.

Its a very interesting build process.

Very low budget, but also pretty simple.

Very interesting shop too.

I like how you can join him in the build process too.

I sent him an email about a Skwal.

He responded and said he couldn't do it, but he could make a board if I wanted. :confused:

His build process has limitations on width, so an alpine board *MIGHT* be possible, depending on width.

He makes FAT skiis, and possibly boards, so why not a skwal?

Awaiting an answer to that question.

Sinecure, thanks for bringing up 333, I never could figure out what it was called.

I first heard about them one of the times we met up with in Mammoth, I borrowed a screwdriver from a fellow with way too many PMG Bro Models in his car (some would argue there's no such thing) who explained the big trailer with a crowd around it next to Stump Alley!