Note to New Members ×

North-Eastern Resorts for Carving?

Ian M

Stratton certainly has challenging terrain, but I do remember getting caught on a number of long, flat sections when I was there a few years back and thinking it was a pain. (Same with Gore Mtn. in NY) But, I was also riding a 154cm back then! And honestly, price has been more of a deterrent to my returning than anything else. So, I'm looking forward to giving it another chance this year.

Actually, it will be interesting to reevaluate a number of mountains through the new lens of being on a carving board. That being said, I always thought Sugarbush was one of the best in VT.

On the other hand, Okemo has let me down the last few years. First time there as a teenager, I loved it. Really BIG superpipe!!! Now it just seems crowded and a bit monotonous. I'm not really a fan of how resorts are adding new trails by just squeezing them in between existing ones (same pitch and same terrain as the trails to the right and left.) It starts to feel like a beehive, or an ant colony. Oh well, I'm still glad there are choices out there!

I'm suprised no one from Maine has put a vote in for Saddleback. I went there last year for an AASI event and wish I had brought my carving gear. 2000ft vertical drop, the definition of uncrowded, overlooks Rangely Lake. It has a great mix of terrain from runs straight down the mountain to twisty, turny trails. It's not a resort, so you don't get the resort ammenities and village(which I am content without).

http://www.saddlebackmaine.com/winter/html/trailmap.php?s=249

Also, I'd like to say that any mountain is fun and challenging, just sometimes you have to be more creative.......

It's the only mountain I've been to in the US northeast, but I'll second this for a "cheap alternative." (Everything was far more reasonably priced than Sugarloaf, which is just next door!) The black diamond "Tight Line" (at the top, highlighted in orange) was a beautifully groomed wide, steep run that must be every carver's wet dream! "Grey Ghost" was also fun too.

It generally got a little boring/flat near the bottom, but it was definitely a great alternative. Worth checking out, especially since it's so close to Sugarloaf and could provide some variety!

greg

Killer!

When I have half an hour, I'm going to go through this thread and tally how many times everyone said 'good' or 'bad' for a resort :p

Keep in mind kids; everyone has different riding styles and preferences. :D No one has to agree or convince anyone...just share why you love a place!

I like your attitude Steph...can I come and accept your carve challenge if I come to Vermont?

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

When I have half an hour, I'm going to go through this thread and tally how many times everyone said 'good' or 'bad' for a resort :p

Sugarloaf++;

Saddleback may have some good terrain (I don't know) but it is not a resort.

Sugarloaf has, imo, the best carving in the east, and a good resort experience. Their ski school is outstanding if you have small kids. Stratton as a resort is more polished, and they have more/better intermediate terrain.

Saddleback may have some good terrain (I don't know) but it is not a resort.

Yeah true, and I'm sure the terrain isn't as good as Sugarloaf, but again - the price ratio was very, very good, and probably because it isn't a resort. We rented out a 10-person cabin a short drive away for very very cheap, and Weber barbequed on the deck like kings! In -20!

So yeah, if you're looking for a resort I'm sure elsewhere is better, but well... I think I paid $62 for a two-day student lift ticket. Hard to beat that, huh? :cool:

greg

Agreed, Saddleback is not a resort, there is no resort village, no resort hotel. Sadly, there isn't much to do there but ride. There are some nice inns maybe a mile from it. But the lodge is gorgeous(just re did it last year I think), has a nice bar for some post riding beers.

I realize the original poster said "resort" but I know alot of people just throw that out there when they mean ski area.

The lack of people meant, at least while I was there, that there was still untracked groomer to be ridden at 3:00 in the afternoon, never had to wait in a lift line, and most importantly, could rip down the runs with little to no danger that there would be a pack of snowplowers or sideslippers around the corner. It's not the place I would go to for a wild night life....but it's a good pick if you want to bang turns all day, get a few beers, a good dinner, and a good night's sleep and do it all again the next day.....hmmm on second thought....it's a terrible place....just go to the 'loaf with everyone else......yeah....;)

Hey Ian M! It looks like you've got some great ski areas to look into. Sorry for hijacking your post earlier, but I felt it was deserved. I do enjoy where I live and ride! If you do ever come to ride at Stratton, send me an email. I'd be happy to have a "carve challenge", or just make some turns with you. Happy ski area shopping!

I think the grooming has gone down at both places. They either don't have or don't want to spend the money. Sunapee, though a small place, has great grooming.

I hate it when trailer rash is right.

prior to sugarloaf being sold off from ASC, grooming was one of the departments that took a hit per ASC overlord orders, same as sunday river at the time though they were both ahead of the game as far grooming goes. Stratton had similar issues with intrawest bleeding the place dry. seems like in the case of sugarloaf the sale of the place has not changed the management style I guess.

Intrawest seems to be more interested in making their resorts uber expensive and skimp on things you'd expect at a "premier" destination. that said, stratton is still one of the more consistent places to ride in VT.

plus, I lost my virginity at a US open.

I'm so tired of comments like this from people that I have no idea of their skill set, that I'm willing to throw down the carve challenge! Come to Stratton anytime Bob, and you can follow me down any trail. I'd love to finally see if you can put your money where your mouth is!

Stratton...Carving Challange...Money involved...Where have I heard this before???

Wait a minute...It's all coming back now...

The CarveMaster Challenge :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

Speaking of CMC, does anyone even know if he can still carve???:p:flamethro

Stratton...Carving Challange...Money involved...Where have I heard this before???

Wait a minute...It's all coming back now...

The CarveMaster Challenge :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

Speaking of CMC, does anyone even know if he can still carve???:p:flamethro

curt's online persona aside, the dude does ride very well