Note to New Members ×

Coney vs chilli dog

photodad2001

I want everyone here to try this. This is a recipe for coney's. NOT CHILLI DOGS!!!! There is a difference and once you try it you will know.

Only the sauce. Put it on your favorable weiner or dog. Nathans is good, but honestly the cheap stuff taste great with this topper.

Da Sauce:

Ingredience:

1 lb. of ground cow

1 finely diced onion

fry it up so the onion if soft and juicy

Drain it.

Put it back in the pan and add the following.

2 tablespoons of white vinegar.

2 tablespoons of white sugar.

2 tablespoons of yellow mustard.

half a teaspoon of celary seed.

half a teaspoon of Tabasco, or double it if you want it spicy.

1 table spoon of Warstersier Sauce

And finnally Ketchp. Somewhere between half and a whole cup depending on taste.

Let all that simmer for about 20 minutes.

Grated cheese, finley diced onion and a spot of mustard makes a delisious dawg.

No seriously, try it.

It's too hot here to cook dutch oven during the day so, I'll cook your recipe up tomorrow morning and serve it up with some grilled kosher dogs (Hebrew National) tomorrow night with some suds. I'll let you know how this goes.

I've learned from making cole slaws and (cold) potato salads that if you let them sit a while, the flavors seem to intensify. Besides that, I have have to sell booze for 8 hours tomorrow. So, I can make the sauce in the morning, let it sit in the icebox, and warm it up just before I serve it to my guests tomorrow night.

Thanks, PD!

Mark

I've been toying for a while with an idea for a brat sauce that would be different. I love Malay/Indonesian satay with peanut sauce. So I was thinking that that peanut sauce would make a great sauce for hot spicey brats/hot Italian brats.

Indian tamarind sauce is good too.

BobD

I've learned from making cole slaws and (cold) potato salads that if you let them sit a while, the flavors seem to intensify. Besides that, I have have to sell booze for 8 hours tomorrow. So, I can make the sauce in the morning, let it sit in the icebox, and warm it up just before I serve it to my guests tomorrow night.

Thanks, PD!

Mark

Absolutely. Make sure when you add the ketchup at the end that you start out with a small amount and add to taste. I use just over half a cup, my friend uses less than half, and the lady who serves it up at the little league games uses about a whole cup. The more ketchup you use the milder the flavor is and the less ketchup the more the mustard stands out.

I've been toying for a while with an idea for a brat sauce that would be different. I love Malay/Indonesian satay with peanut sauce. So I was thinking that that peanut sauce would make a great sauce for hot spicey brats/hot Italian brats.

Indian tamarind sauce is good too.

BobD

That sounds crazy. So crazy it just might work.

If you wanna try something completely off the wall I have just tried some variations of the coney recipe I gave. Do the sauce just like I laid down, but add these toppings to bring new flavors. Here are some suggestions. My new favorite is adding a sweet southern style cole slaw with mustard, no cheese. A garbage dawg, complete with onion, sliced tomato halves, mustard, and a pickle wedge is good. And this wasn't my favorite, but my friend was all about it (he had been drinking so keep that in mind) pickled Jalepenos, onions, sour cream, and tabasco with shredded cheddar and mustard. I won't be hanging out with him tomorrow.

Honestly the cole slaw and mustard with the coney sauce was pretty friggin' awesome. A bit off the wall, but it worked. Kinda like some BBQ places that put the slaw on the BBQ sandwich. It's a "Slaw Dawg". Also we tried just putting relish and mustard and that was alright too.

OK, so I made the sauce and let it sit as I indicated I would. When I put the sauce on the grilled dogs, what I liked about it was the saltiness of the celery salt. WAIT! Not celery salt, celery SEEDS, dimwit (ME)!!!! Dammit.

Back to the drawing board. Remake the sauce and I see the error of my ways. Still, celery seeds seemed odd. But, the sauce stood on it's own. I remember from living in Chicago years ago that the practice of putting celery salt on your dog really amped the flavor. That's prolly why I kept thinking celery salt instead of celery seed.

Third batch: This time, I grilled and buttered the hot dog buns and toasted them on the grill. Next, I added my own sweet-hot pickles as a relish. This was then paired with kettle chips (Lays) from the larder, and a delightful local hefeweizen. I must say, it was most improved. I also backed off on the ketchup and let the mustard 'speak' more. I added some chopped onions on one bite but found it to be too much. The pairing of the sauce, pickles, chips, and mustard (and beer) made a great meal. Cheap, and easy to make over and over again.

Thanks, PD!

Mark

Snowsuit season will soon be upon us;)

Two seasons ago I added a pair of suspenders to keep my snowpants up as my belly would pop my pant button on occasion.

Pat, it's not so much the dogs as it is the quaffing of liquid refreshment with the dogs that makes those snowbunny bellies so unsightly to look at. I'm sure the dogs don't help keep the poundage off either.

Short of becoming a gastropod, which is a worthy goal for any beer muscle adherent, I hope to be in trim by the time the snow flies in just a few weeks. Yes, weeks. At elevation, it'll start cooling down in about 5-6 weeks from now in the mountains where I live (Bear River Range). I hope your summer is going nicely.

Mark

But... Hands down.. Hebrew National is the worlds best hot dog..... best taste ever! and it probably has less cow houfs than the rest!:eek:

RSS

Have to give it to Shred. I grilled some tonight and they were D-LISH-US! I thought kosher food wasn't supposed to taste as good as the full on gentile versions.