Note to New Members ×

Any predictions for "Le Tour"?

AaronG

For those cycling fans I was just wondering what your thoughts are with Team Astana. Being that there are 3 tour contenders on one squad, Levi, Lance and Alberto. I know that it has just started but I have a sneaking suspicion that things are going to blow up like they did in 1986. I see Astana riders taking up sides with their favorite contender and splitting the team down the middle, ala Le Tour 1986.

In 1986, Bernard Hinault(tour winner of 85) pledged that he would ride in support of Greg Lemond, they were both on the same team, La Vie Claire. During the race, Hinault rescinded that promise and went on to try to win Le Tour. There were two strong teamates going at each other, attacking one another, solo escapes by Hinault. This split the mostly french team with some teamates riding in support of Hinault and some riding in support of Lemond. In the end, Lemond won the tour but the rift between Lemond an Hinault would never be healed

Just wondering with all the great GC riders on Team Astana if this same scenario might take place. I surely hope not.

Anyone have any thoughts on this years tour??

Contador just had his rookie ass handed to him by being at the back at a crucial point.As did many other podium contenders.Looks like a Hinault/Lemond could develop.This could wind up being one of the most interesting tours ever.Oh,and I always root for the 'old' guy when it comes to athletic comebacks.

How about a conspiracy theory. I wonder what would have happened if Lance had said to his old friend George (Hincapie) "George, if you and your boys stage a breakaway when we get to the tricky crosswinds, I'll help by kicking in some horsepower"?

Interesting thought Dave. I like it.

Although my theory is far less sinister. I think Armstrong was told by the team to be up the front just in case there was a breakaway, so he could try to dictate the pace. But when it happened, he found himself with almost the entire Columbia team and there was nothing he could do except hang in there and see how it played out.

But you are right that the TTT will be interesting today. I just hope I can get a stream through our firewall at work.

A few years ago vs (the tv station broadcasting the tour) had a group called the merry pranksters as comic relief making lite of the situations they happened upon, live on the tv, well they ran into Eddie Merckx in a hallway and started making fun of him, needless to say the merry pranksters played their last prank, they were disbanded with dishonorable merits, never to be seen or heard from again, what's my point

one of them must be writing commercials for V.S., they are putting high rpm two cycle engine noises in the background when bike riders are on the screen, to me the beauty of biking is the silence, the man made energy

psyched for more racing, can't wait for the mountains

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations.

Um, yeah....

What he said.

(It was an interesting stage... How 'bout those two newb's? One winning the stage and one taking the yellow jersey? And Contador looked pretty much untouchable. Is the controversy within Astana over now? I hope not...)

Definitely a strange stage today. To see Alberto rocket off the front and Lance not going with was a strange sight. Cadel Evans, what was he thinking?? You have two of the world's best climbers and you try to attack?? Nice try Cadel.

Still two weeks left in this thing, I will expect to see some more perplexing situations with regards to Astana.

If you want to watch some cool vids with some insight into the inner workings of the tour go to www.livestrong.org

Definitely a strange stage today. To see Alberto rocket off the front and Lance not going with was a strange sight.

The only thing that's strange is that Lance isn't clearly wearing the pants on the team. But the way he played the race after Contador's attack was textbook. He sat on and covered, just like any good teammate should.

But the way he played the race after Contador's attack was textbook. He sat on and covered, just like any good teammate should.

I agree with you there, Lance stayed back slowing the tempo of the group to let Alberto extend his breakaway.

I meant that after seeing so many TDFs where Jan, Marco, Ivan, Iban, Joseba, Alexander, or....(insert any other name here who was supposed to be a contender) attacked it seems that Lance was right there next to them. Oh, wait, I do remember one tour where Lance played chicken until the last climb and then just hammered the crap out of the field.

Personally, I hope Alberto wins the TDF. Lance has had his run, let someone else enjoy the crown for a year. I know, I know, Alberto has already won one TDF, maybe Yaroslav Popovych can step up this year???

Personally, I hope Alberto wins the TDF. Lance has had his run, let someone else enjoy the crown for a year. I know, I know, Alberto has already won one TDF, maybe Yaroslav Popovych can step up this year???

What I'd love to see is the two of them put a ton of time into the field and then have to slug it out mano a mano on ventoux on the penultimate day.

BTW have you seen the power numbers for the last flat stage (where they were all escheloned in the x-winds)? Velonews posted numbers from a guy who's currently sitting in 161st and holy crap... something like 240w average for 4 hours and over 4000 Kj burned. On an "easy" stage.