Note to New Members ×

On Mountain Shooting of Hardboters - Board or Skis?

fishrising

My guess is that if taking photos of hardbooters is your primary objective, then the best platform for doing this would be on a pair of skis.

You can get a much higher level of versatility and mobility when taking photos or video on skis- every time I try to do this on a snowboard i end up with less than stellar results.

For video if you are going to try to follow the riders at all, obviously skis.

Other than that, you can do whatever you need to do on a board. Just take your back foot out. This is easier with step-ins. At the ECES where I was camped out in one spot shooting a lot of riders streaming down the trail I just took the board off completely.

Other than that, you can do whatever you need to do on a board. Just take your back foot out. This is easier with step-ins.

Yet another shamless plug for people too lazy to bend over and flip a lever...........

Step ins are the Nava system of snowboarding. loss of proformance for lazy folks... so sad;)

We film on skiis most of the time.

Har har. Some riders can handle the extra response. ;)

I don't mind the bending over, it's the stopping and sitting down that sucks. Makes me feel like a gd softbooter. I really love being able to get off the lift, skate, glide, step-in and go.

Har har. Some riders can handle the extra response. ;)

I don't mind the bending over, it's the stopping and sitting down that sucks. Makes me feel like a gd softbooter. I really love being able to get off the lift, skate, glide, step-in and go.

Thats How I do it get off the chair glide bend over clip in keep riding!

unless of corse I catch the toe clip in the snow being stupid, then its..

Fall, get up, brush off the snow, clip in and ride. Just not as cool!

I am trying to get better at snowboarding so I can ride step ins but I am still learning:)

I did want to add that haveing skiis on can really make it easier to stay in on place, of corse if you are just in boots snowboard hardboots tend to have much better traction then ski boots...

Teles are best for...well...everything but carving :p

If I'm out for photography, you can bet that I'll be on my teles. They're just SO versatile...like the Jeep of snowsports :biggthump. If you were going out on variable terrain with the good chance of needing to get around in some unconventional ways, would you rather a Wrangler or a Porsche?

Is that the Sit In for sexually transmitted diseases?

Really Jack...I keep my photo gear in a pack and I stop and take off my board to shoot...and did you need to say gd softbooter...or just to kiss it up to Bordy

by saying as much...:smashfrea

Way to take a responsible and friendly thread and make it suck. Good work, it's impressive.

why was it necessary to say gd softbooters?

how does that relate to shooting photos or video...?

it doesn't!

I take photos and shoot video with softboots and they are no hindrance

whatsoever...though if you want to follow someone then you really need skis.

It is total BS to say gd softbooters period...Got It!

give me a break. I highly doubt that Jack meant to hurt your feelings with his remark. There are softbooters and then there are softbooters, I assume that since you're here that you're the latter, but your attitude in this thread leads me to believe otherwise.

When I started...

25 years ago it was skiers yelling "gd snowboarder!"

25 years later it is a snowboarder saying "gd softbooter!"

maybe you see a difference, but I do not...

My attitude is that all the folks on this site who carve in soft or hard boots

are carvers one and all...enough said!

You actually get butt-hurt about things that people say on the slopes? Nobody said that YOU were a gd softbooter IIRC. His comment was directed at the GD softbooters that stop and sit down in the middle of the trail. Enough said!

So, when you are on the mountain with camera or video gear, and your mission at that point is to shoot other hardbooters, are you riding your board, or are you on skis? And why which one?

Depends,

If I don't know if any other alpine riders are going to be there for sure. I just use my point and shoot, slips in and out of the pocket fast and easy. I take allot of photos from the chair lift. Then I just ride normally.

If I know there will be some "Subjects" and it will be good conditions, sun + not crowded + good grooming, then I bring a better camera and or video or both in a Slingshot backpack.

I am mostly interested in riding, so I am fast, quick stops, no dinking around.

Step-ins are good for this.

If I am really serious about get good video/ photos and I am certain of the people being there then I will ski, without poles, Fast and more utility. Plus my starts and stops are very fast and I can really haul ass between locations.

Now back to the banter.

stepins make quick stops on steeper slopes much easier.

I'm in Bryan's camp, if I'm riding and taking a few pics the board is fine;

if I'm playing photographer skis are more comfortable, versatile and most importantly stable, especially on the move.

Jack's comment seemed pretty tongue in cheek to me,

hardly worth a dead horse flame war resurrected from a dozen other threads

the convenience of quick stability while taking pics riding in a group is relevant.

ot ps

I truly hate toe levers banging the edge of the board, that warrant's stepins regardless of rigidity

I'm using a Hand Strap with my Canon SLR. I'm leaving the camera "on", always ready even going down, taking the chairlift, etc. The Canon hand strap make the thing so comfortable. For this reason, I'm using skis w/o poles, all the time.

Maybe one day, I should try to get back to Telemark. But last winter as I was watching a ski patrol on Tele coming in for an injured skier, he removed his tele and forgot few seconds about them...it was funny to see the ski patrol running downhill like hell, trying to catch his telemark skis...

When I shoot, I'm not there for any other purpose. I will frequently make 5 to 10 stops on a single run with the intent of getting the best shot I can. For me, it simply isn't possible to keep your subjects happy if you are on a board. Getting in and out of your board is a pain. Relocating 15 to 30 feet with a board attached to one foot is cumbersome. Getting low is harder to do and most of all you can't swivel at the hips as easily. If your only objective is to get great pictures, skis are going to provide the best platform. Short ones are best.

When shooting a race, I find that abandoning my board/skis at the bottom of the course is best. Hiking the course provides the opportunity to scout the best position/angle. If I start at the top on a board or skis, I rarely get the best spot and I have to find a place to stash my board. I then wind up moving around a bit, but feel tied to my gear. At the end of the race I'm tired and the last thing I want to do is hike up to my board. Sliding or walking down to it is easier.

• 4 months later...

(just found this section)

Me, I shoot exclusively from boards.

In powder (which I ride most) it seems much easier than skis: you're faster; you're more stable; you can set-up without worrying about sticky things, what's not to like? Yeah, you can take your two planks off, but then you'll sink so you're not going to do that. My goal is not to interrupt the flow of the riding, so I need to ride fast and set up quickly. I can do both with my board; most people can't manage that on skis. For piste stuff, on occasion I need to take my back foot out as balance is harder; Intecs help.

I've done stills a bit with a TV crew, who also rode boards. The main difference there was that they tended to need a backpack for the video stuff, where I as I can use a chest-harness for my rig.

I find races or park/ pipe stuff a bit different, although you'll never find me more than a few meters from my board. The next time I do a speed-boarding event I'll take crampons and a pair of axes too.

On the original question... if it's a hard-boot event (I only ever shot one) then there are going to be a lot of carvers and they are going to come past you. So preferably you want to brief them (I'm too young to be killed should they lose control), and then set up in a sequence of static places (all with board of course). Start with a medium lens and tell them not to come too close. Then pick some of the competent riders and tell them to come closer and try to use something wider.

For general riding, I just ride with the camera chest-mounted and shoot when I see something interesting. It's best to ride with people who know how to ride and also "how to be shot". Which in my view is basically:

- don't stop "at the photographer", ride past!

- don't ride "at the photographer", aim to miss even if you lose it

- if I point at something, ride between me and that if you can

- try to think about the background: I will be trying to get you against it

- smile (no kidding)

- I only need one turn and I don't care if you don't make it out of it, although if you're going to crash, please clear the area so someone else can crash in it.

Ride the same board you'd normally ride, the one you're most comfortable with in those conditions.

Nice bump on this important debate. I am surprised no one came up with this before - snowblades are the best to shoot from. You can hike with them. You don't have to change boots from your regular HBs.

Very versatile. That or RAX skis. :rolleyes:

I've never really had much problem on my regular gear though and I have shot tons of races and lots of regular shooting.

I suck at skiing though.