Note to New Members ×

me vs. The oxess

A.Leal

so i just got my first oxess snowboard for bx its a 163 effective edge of 143

Radius of 14.5

Its pretty stiff board i rode a palmer crown 165 last year witch had a 8.5 sidecut i rode it really hard an would over power my turns i race hard boots in sl an gs i ride very aggresively but i am having second thoughts about this board it has a 14.5 radius witch will be very hard to make threw tight turns in a 6 pack in bx

Does anyone have any ideas or tips or anything on wat i should do ?

so i just got my first oxess snowboard for bx its a 163 effective edge of 143

Radius of 14.5

Its pretty stiff board i rode a palmer crown 165 last year witch had a 8.5 sidecut i rode it really hard an would over power my turns i race hard boots in sl an gs i ride very aggresively but i am having second thoughts about this board it has a 14.5 radius witch will be very hard to make threw tight turns in a 6 pack in bx

Does anyone have any ideas or tips or anything on wat i should do ?

have you ridden it?

AFAIK oxess is shaping their boards like kesslers, so it should be similar to a kessler BX and also some of the palmer boards that were shapes that were by kessler.

here's a link http://www.palmersnowboards.com/palmer08/en/pages/shapedesign/page1

the SCR is misleading possibly due to the scr is variable, tight in the front wide in the back

no not yet but do think it is possible to learn how to ride a board like this if i rode it 5 days a week for half days ? I need to beable to handle it before races start the oxess guy said its possible but could take a long time for me to learn how to ride the board an not let the board ride me

I think that a larger scr is a good thing in bx. Don't forget that the turns are banked and generally they are not that tight of a radius. The larger scr will allow the board to track the snow better enabling it to hold speed. It will also be more stable at speed and I also believe that the larger scr will be more stable landing the jumps.

A tight scr may need to be adjusted multiple times through out a turn to allow it to stay on track and aren't as good for the speeds attained in bx. SL is a great place for a smaller scr.

There would definately be reasons that the top companies are going to larger scr, whether it is radial or multiple.

A friend/athlete of mine picked up several Kesslers (gs, sl, bx) and was thinking "it's a snowboard, I can rock it" only to be very surprised that they don't ride like normal, production boards. It took him a while to get used to the gs. The sl, and bx boards didn't take very long to get used to. Give it a good shot and I think you will find it to be better.

Ink

update: Mort will have you rockin' that board in no time if you are still training with him next season. Mort knows his stuff.

thanks man an ya this year i rode like 2 to 3 days aweek with him training cause i could never get a ride but next year im gunma go a full 5 days maybe plus every week! How do u know mort ?

I used to coach for Team Summit in CO a while back. We met way before that as racers and would travel together from time to time. We even split lodging costs between SV and TS a few times. Mort would even have me play guest coach when I was out in SV. We go back quite a ways and still keep in touch.

Keep up the training and you will get better quickly with Mort.

Ink (Derek Runes)

PS. Tell the old man I said "Hi" next time you talk with him.

• 4 weeks later...
have you ridden it?

AFAIK oxess is shaping their boards like kesslers, so it should be similar to a kessler BX and also some of the palmer boards that were shapes that were by kessler.

here's a link http://www.palmersnowboards.com/palmer08/en/pages/shapedesign/page1

the SCR is misleading possibly due to the scr is variable, tight in the front wide in the back

The Kessler SBX boards and the Oxess boards are actually very different. Some of our guys liked the Oxess' over the Kessler, others liked the Kesslers better. But for sure they all said that they were quite different.

As far as that radius being too big for SBX and if he can handle it or not....It's kind of course dependant. For Copper it maybe be a bit big. But for the Boreal course it would have ruled. Actually I can think of a few courses last season where I wish most of our guys had larger boards, Hood and the Ontario Nor-Am come to mind (both events our were won by our guys though).

Ross Powers is probably going to be on Oxess next season. We are working on getting him on their 163's some built with 12m and some built with 14 meter radius. JJ Tomlison is also going Oxess though he will be on the 163 with 12 meter radius. Cleve will probably also be on Oxess next year.

I'd say ride it early season. The first event you will be in is probably in mid-Jan. If by mid-Dec you feel it is too big see about getting the 163 with a 12m radius.

We had great feedback after our riders tried out these boards. You will not be dissapointed, even if it is a little big. WAY better then the Palmers, just ask Cleve.

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to racing bx and having been using a burton custom x in USASA races, including nationals. I've been wanting to buy an oxess or kessler board, but am not sure what size would suit me. I weigh about 200 pounds. Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Mike

I have almost the same board.. Its bit stiffer and with a 23cm waist for hard boot carving.. it can be ridden hard!! Im pretty sure it does not have variable sidecut at least thats what I was told when I ordered it..a few years back they used to make a few that way.. I'll have to call on that but it does't look like it.. it does have a lot of taper 20mm worth. the 14.5m side cut is set back, looking at it its one continous sidecut..

Its my favorite board right now on the groomers.. it does it all.. Its as smooth as titanal and pops out of hard turns.. fun as hell..

The inserts I had placed at center stance, NO set back .. 53cm center width, but Im up on the board a bit with the bomber bindings on the front foot so Im at 54.5cm wide stance.. I moved it all over the place and found it was less twithy on center with my front foot one click more forward.. before I found this spot, if I leaned on the tail out of a carve it would shoot me out like a cannon.. fun stuff but gets tricky at times.. The board loves to ride big fast GS turns if you just let it.. other wise you can crank it around in no time.. Its in my top two boards I ride.. which says a lot.. Already have my second one on order..

Sorry for the photo.. no matter what I did,,it just kept posting sideways..

You got a really great board..

On a side note from Oxess.. they doen't make the BX with titanal..although if you wanted it that way Im sure it could happen.. They said the carbon was faster on the course than the titanal..hmmmm

post-186-141842333992_thumb.jpg