Note to New Members ×

Exotic Materials?

tex1230

If the US wasn't so busy flexing it's muscle and using all the good Carbon for "military" stuff then there would be more at a cheaper cost here in the US for building snowboards... I quess what I am saying is Make boards not Bombs....

you still have not told us how the texalium in tinklers is better than regular glass

since you seem to speak as a rep for tinkler and you said

silver texalium which is a material which is similar to carbon fiber in strength and lightness but uses glass fibers which are power coated with aluminum

another reference-Compared to graphite, it's more durable. Compared to fiberglass, it's lighter.

the company that makes it claims it's slightly heaver than regular glass. it can't be both

I'd like a explanation

I smell marketing

Hi Bobdea,

It looks like some people including Bryan think I use Texalium for some quality other than cosmetics and I don't. I ended up using it as a top sheet because I liked the look . Texalium is actually very difficult to make look good , because the top sheet becomes part of your laminate. I am going to start introducing some plastic graphics and make my life a little easier.

It looks like Jack first asked the question about Texalium . I first want to say thanks to Jack for giving me a pass on a comment I made to him. I am still trying to figure out how to act here. Hope this answer's the question .

Thanks Mike for helping to clear this up.

My post was in reply to a guestion, the description was from a google search on the materials. They are not original nor unique comments.

In hind sight Jack is quite capable of doing his own research on materials as it is only a search engine away.

Thanks Mike for helping to clear this up.

My post was in reply to a guestion, the description was from a google search on the materials. They are not original nor unique comments.

In hind sight Jack is quite capable of doing his own research on materials as it is only a search engine away.

That is why I asked.... I did some googling and couldn't find anything that said it was anything other than cosmetic. Just wanted to know if there was something juicy about it I couldn't find. It <i>does</i> make a sexy topsheet!

That is why I asked.... I did some googling and couldn't find anything that said it was anything other than cosmetic. Just wanted to know if there was something juicy about it I couldn't find. It <i>does</i> make a sexy topsheet!

Sort of like Carbon Fiber is cosmetic? Let's not discount that it is a contributing material.

Jack if you remember Mike Banker and I had this same disscusion at ECES years back, He tried to convince me that Texellium had some damping effect, I agreed it may have a different freq that it ossilates at then just glass since there is suspended aluminim in it, but thats all its just glass with pretty shiny powder, no more no less. plus its all usally only biaxel so who cares.......

We have made skateboards n snowboards with it, some of my friends have built kite and surfboards with it also, I think using it in the water sports industry is cocky since you just made a big lure to attract big fish:eek:

Very soft and rubbery glues, metal and carbon n wood are in the boards on the poduim.

Sort of like Carbon Fiber is cosmetic? Let's not discount that it is a contributing material.

Carbon Fiber is <i>also</i> cosmetic in addition to having higher strength-to-weight. Texalium appears to contribute as much as E-glass. I could see how this could be a good thing if it is used to perform double duty as both the functional top layer of glass in the layup and as the topsheet, so that would save you the weight of a purely cosmetic topsheet.

Fishing lure... ha! I believe I was privy to that conversation.

no, it seems like you're still trying to make it like a unique material like carbon is..

texalium is contributing in that it's fibreglass, like any similar weave without the powder.

maybe like comparing carbon to carbon with red or blue dye like people are doing with car parts these days.

What I know from Virus. Frank is using the Texalium topsheet for cosmetically reasons only (rarely these days). It sure looks cool, one of my first Virus (Terminator) had it and I really enjoyed the look. Carbon as a topsheet on the other hand looks cool, but sure will be used to create certain characteristics of the board in the first place. As far as I know, Texalium is also the least expensive material of the so called exotic materials… if it matters…

Cheers!

no, it seems like you're still trying to make it like a unique material like carbon is..

texalium is contributing in that it's fibreglass, like any similar weave without the powder.

maybe like comparing carbon to carbon with red or blue dye like people are doing with car parts these days.

Ok, sounds fair enought, fiberglass contributes. Texilium contributes and it's pretty. I think that that dead horse has been flogged. :smashfrea

Of course it can certainly be argued that the plastic topsheet too.

I am just glad I got my Tinklers prior to Mike switching to the easier

topsheets.

Mike, I hope you plan to build my "Quiver Killer, Neu School, Ole School, metal, longboard, TNT", board this fall with Texilum or Carbon or ?? Something cool, sexy, that does little, instead of plastic? Pretty please? ;)

Bob, congrats on the birth of your child. Very cool!!