Note to New Members ×

The first contender has arrived

Jack M

Bernd Wallner and Hans-Peter Maier from Salzburg started the company in 2005, I think.

At first they were specialized in making custom boards. With the help of Mario Fuchs and Doresia Krings (excellent BX riders) they started developing BX boards and later also alpine boards.

You can still order custom boards for all different aspects of the sport or get one of their production models.

Their flex plate - does it require special holes in the board or not. I can't tell. Seems like the additional screws may just be to connect the upper pieces to the lower pieces (pics from their site show a bit of a side angle and there seems to be some kind of sandwich going on), with the only connection to the board being through the center piece using Standard 4X4 pattern, but at the same time, I suspect thats just wishful thinking on my behalf.

see:

http://apex.snowboardcontest.com/wp09/?p=358

Should have gotten the black top.... Much more durable for freeriding.

Oh well, I'm pretty careful/gentle with my boards.

Jasey is really the only rider who is switching from Black tops to metals on a per condition per event bases(He can tell the difference but not many others can) Almost all other riders have picked one or the other based on there personal feeling. The black top is just another peice of base on top of the metal...

Good, sounds like the ride isn't significantly affected.

Any one could have bought a Kessler from Catek last year and they are all over BOL classifieds used for the last two years with or with out plates.

True, but I wanted a new race stock board built for me. That's what I asked Bola for, of course I have no way of verifying if that's what I got.

As a side note when Hanserg ask what side cut my athletes like for their boards they always say the same thing PGS or SL thats all. I hope he didn't make you a long board with a girls radius which is what 16 is...

I quess its fiting that you ordered your board just like any other free rider would though. with only help from the sales person and not input from a racer. Since your doing your own personal review.

Well I dunno, the form asked for a radius, so I put one in. I also stressed to Bola many times that I want whatever is on the feet of World Cup PGS racers. I've measured the tip and tail widths and the board has a 20mm taper, so hopefully I got the real KST PGS sidecut.

I also asked for inserts for Vist, so I'm not sure what happened there. Someone suggested that they might be in the board but not drilled out, haven't heard back from Bola yet.

Their flex plate - does it require special holes in the board or not. I can't tell. Seems like the additional screws may just be to connect the upper pieces to the lower pieces (pics from their site show a bit of a side angle and there seems to be some kind of sandwich going on), with the only connection to the board being through the center piece using Standard 4X4 pattern, but at the same time, I suspect thats just wishful thinking on my behalf.

see:

http://apex.snowboardcontest.com/wp09/?p=358

I suspect that there are special inserts involved :(, but hopefully I can tell you more soon ...

Yea your going to love it. It makes you a super hero like even.

what is the tip mid and tail?

Yea there are some times "hidden" inserts. Most builders make a bunch of cores at once so you can get after them. I hear the trick is magnetic powder? Try it out and let me know I have a board with the same issue. The hangle riped out and it should have four hole. Havent tryed it my self.

I have drilled Vist center hole. They are the easiest ones the plate is the template.

The good thing about the broker is his advise. Bolas pays attention to the race world, and has gotten boards for Nora Am podium riders.

Just think just to run the series you need 2 maybe 3 to 4 boards. Crazy huh. The US sucks at funding alpine athletes.

Yea the durable is reall the issue in my opinion, Unless your Jasey He likes the Metal top on the firmer snow.

Most of the big guys seem to like black while the lighter rider silver.

I think a bunch of racers are just jaded based on budjet though, Since the price is high they have to keep there boards for longer so some riders haven't ridden both enough.

Yea your going to love it. It makes you a super hero like even.

hope so!

what is the tip mid and tail?

measuring with a tape measure and converting to metric gives me:

25.87cm, 20.55cm, 23.97cm at the widest/narrowest points.

So I guess 19mm taper, but I could be off a little.

Yea there are some times "hidden" inserts. Most builders make a bunch of cores at once so you can get after them. I hear the trick is magnetic powder? Try it out and let me know I have a board with the same issue. The hangle riped out and it should have four hole. Havent tryed it my self.

I hope this is the case I'll report back.

The good thing about the broker is his advise. Bolas pays attention to the race world, and has gotten boards for Nora Am podium riders.

Good to know.

Just think just to run the series you need 2 maybe 3 to 4 boards. Crazy huh. The US sucks at funding alpine athletes.

I can understand the need for backup equipment, which I have to have for my side job as a photographer.

Yea the durable is reall the issue in my opinion, Unless your Jasey He likes the Metal top on the firmer snow.

Well we got lots o' that here!

Most of the big guys seem to like black while the lighter rider silver.

I guess I would be considered a middle-weight at 180 (should be 175 :rolleyes:)

post-5-141842282029_thumb.jpg

I contacted the builder of the Apex boards.

The Flex-Plate does require special inserts and is only sold together with the boards at the moment. But the plate costs less than half the price of a Vist and I think it looks pretty interesting.

The vist plate is the best deal out there currently, Its a single platform vrs 2 seperate peices. Plus it has "tunablility" If you consider the cost of the Apex plate and a board from them, vs using a vist on a board you already own whats really cheaper?

The vist plate is the best deal out there currently, Its a single platform vrs 2 seperate peices. Plus it has "tunablility" If you consider the cost of the Apex plate and a board from them, vs using a vist on a board you already own whats really cheaper?

The real questions are - How good are the boards? And how well does the plate work?

Because the 2010 models are titanal boards. They are also pretty successful on the race course and not only is the plate cheaper than other systems, but the boards are also cheaper than other metal raceboards. The combination is about 1/3 cheaper than from other brands. And they also do some customisations (like the flex), which are included in the price.

I have no first hand experience, but it seems pretty intriguing.

But Obama says I'm filthy rich so if the idea of a $1500 snowboard makes me swallow hard, I have to assume it does for most people here too!

LOL, you filthy rich bastard, I'm just filled with class envy!

Seriously....thanks for doing this subjective test on these boards. It's a real service to the community and....although painful for the #4 board....it may help raise the performance of the alpine snowboard.

LOL, you filthy rich bastard, I'm just filled with class envy!

Seriously....thanks for doing this subjective test on these boards. It's a real service to the community and....although painful for the #4 board....it may help raise the performance of the alpine snowboard.

Ha, my pleasure! Although I'm not going to be ranking them winner to loser. I think I'll concentrate more on how close (or better?) they are to the Big K and how usable they are and how much of a value they represent to the freecarver.

Sorry WinterGold, the board is out on test, so I cannot get numbers for you. It is full metal, I think waist is about 20, length is 183. Please contact Frank for details.

Ok, thanks anyway. Will be interesting to see, if they are on par with the other big raceboards companies next year ...

• 2 weeks later...
So you got one. After testing it are you going to use it to race with? I'll buy it off you if you decide to sell it.

Also did you ever get into racing during your years of alpine?

I plan on getting the NSR as you said it's great for getting g your pass pulled so it sounds like the one for me.

So from your personal recomendation who should I seek out for an instructor? I plan on riding in NH next season as I can't afford my cabin in Kingfield anymore. I'd like to test myself and bomb some gates and I don't know where to start.

I sent an email to Noah on ridemass.org but have not heard from him so I'm lost on where to start.

I dabbled in racing here and there. The actual race itself is a blast, but I didn't find "racing" as a whole to be much fun. My hat is off to those who do.

Instructor - Brammer... you seek Eric Brammer (aka PSR). May have to go to VT to find him.