Note to New Members ×

Helmets, Time to weigh in.

bumpyride

The following couple of days I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck and could not lift my head without holding the back of my neck.... The nauseous puke factor did not help much either.

Yup, I agree. Classic concussion symptom.

I had a concussion about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Had a CT scan within 90 minutes of impact. My noggin survived.

If you haven't been to the hospital, you should go now. The dead Richardson refused medical help.

Depends on how valuable your brain is to you. And in that case, maybe you should consider wearing a cup to protect your figs too.

Last year I slipped getting ready to load the Magic Mile chair at Timberline and really slammed the back of my head. I was shook up for 2 days with a mild concussion. Long story short. I am so glad I was wearing my helmet. Cant beat a helmet in all conditions, especially stormy days.

I grew up whitewater kayaking where everyone wears a helmet even on easy rivers and even by experts. It was always just an unspoken universal rule.

Imagine my surprise when I took up snowboarding to see so many people without helmets. Amazing to consider that resorts even let people on the slopes without one for liability reasons. I did not own a boarding helmet the first few seasons and then I had the inevitable downhill backwards high speed edge fall that nearly knocked me out.:smashfrea

Bought a helmet the next day...:)

I grew up whitewater kayaking where everyone wears a helmet even on easy rivers and even by experts. It was always just an unspoken universal rule.

Imagine my surprise when I took up snowboarding to see so many people without helmets. Amazing to consider that resorts even let people on the slopes without one for liability reasons. I did not own a boarding helmet the first few seasons and then I had the inevitable downhill backwards high speed edge fall that nearly knocked me out.:smashfrea

Bought a helmet the next day...:)

I think that the reason helmet use in WW kayaking is standard, is because the Instructors wear helmets to teach beginners, even on flat water, and have done for the last twenty five years. It would be considered irresponsible of an instructor not to wear a helmet at all times while teaching. Safety is a huge chunk of an instructor's training in that sport.

BobD

LIVE LOVE RIDE and anyone else that experiences a concussion: If you have health insurance, get it checked out. Brain injuries are unpredictable and deadly. A friend of mine (the Master Brewer from the Dam Brewery) fell at home last fall and didn't seek medical help. By the time he was in a hospital, it was too late.

Helmets are REQUIRED for park admission at Jiminy Peak. Also for school groups and Kids in lessons under age 12. Has been a rule for 3 years now.

My helmet(s) all have their battle scars and turf-wars but my greatest fall that split a helmet completely in half when I caught an edge racing @ okemo in 2002 saved my life, and I've never looked back and doubted wearing a helmet since then.

I have worn a full face helmet for years. I can think of at least two times in the past year it saved me from serious injury. One was just me catching an edge, the other was being hit by another skier. Course that is also why I wear body armor. I have always wondered why they don't make employees wear them at the resorts. I plan to do ski patrol next year, and you can bet that I will be wearing my helmet! My understanding is that as soon as you put on that red jacket, you become a target. It was interesting to me that at the patrol qualification day at the end of the season, the instructors were all extolling the virtues of protection, but I was the only one wearing a helmet and armor :smashfrea. Classic do as I say not as I do.

I have often thought that it is the idea that snow is associated with the soft fluffy stuff that makes people think they don't need extra protection. I don't thing that beginners have a clue just how hard that beginner slope will be. That makes it the responsibility of the management to help educate and protect the beginner if they are taking lessons and renting equipment there. Other than employees and beginners you are teaching, I am not a fan of legislating helmets. I still believe that the informed individual should be able to make their own decision, even if it is a dangerous one for them. I hate these slippery slopes (no pun intended) of well meaning legislators trying to protect me from myself. After all why stop at a helmet law, if you just forbid anyone from being on the slopes, no one would be hurt at all!

Instructors don't seem to wear them (@ Tremblant anyway)...I wish I could have recorded the conversation I overheard between a father and his young teenage son @ Tremblant; the father spent 10+ minutes arguing with his son on why he should wear his helmet to which the kid simply replied

"then why don't you wear one Dad?"...

//Paul

When CA passed a law requiring kids under 16 to wear helmets while riding bicycles, that's when I started wearing a helmet for skateboarding. I would ride my skateboard to the park, while my then 5 yr old daughter rode her bike. I didn't want to use the "do as I say, not as I do" argument.

After one week of skating with a helmet, I was hauling ass on a downhill section when my wheels hit something, locked up, I fell and slammed my head hard. If it wasn't for the helmet, I probably would have been knocked-out, with my 5 yr old daughter freaking out, looking to get help for daddy.

Now I wear helmets for skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing (but only at shallow reef breaks).