Note to New Members ×

Which one?!

crazyTKDsquirrel

Alright, here's the deal: I've been looking for a board recently and I've had some offers. I just wanted to ask my fellow Bombers for some opinions and tips/pointers/suggestions on a couple boards.

Here are the descriptions:

1. SIMS 166.

Waist 20.7cm. Stance 15(38)-18(46). Stiffness Hard. Condition: Top & Base Scratches (Base wax, pix)

Simsboard.jpg

2. BURTON Race 167 Factory Prime.

Waist 18cm. SCR 12.29M. Stance 17.75"(44)-23.5"(60). Stiffness Hard. Condition: Camber 8mm. Top sheet 2 chips in 2 locations (Not Delam). Base good condition. Used 2 days since bought.

Burtonboard.jpg

I'm about 145-150lbs. lookin for a board about 168cm with a smaller scr than my F2 (14m). I'm still really new, but I can handle the F2 pretty well on greens and blues. Blacks...haha. That's a goal for next season.

Anyways, of these two boards, which one would be a better choice considering the board's quality and what it'll be used for (carving on tighter blues and eventually blacks). If I left anything too vague, please tell me and I'll clarify.

Thanks for any input in advance,

Gus

Damn! Con is going away before I took it for a spin! :D

I only hand flexed these 2 boards, so take it with a grain of salt... I think that Burton is a tiny bit stiffer.

I gues it boils down what kind of binding angles you like? Sims is pretty wide, Burton is very narrow. Sims has quite short maximum stance width.

They're actually 27.5. My rear toe gets a liiiiiiittle bit of overhang at 55*. I set it up that way because I thought I wouldn't be able to tip it on edge enough for it to drag until maybe next season (I've only been out on it twice), but last time I went the toe bail was dragging a tiny bit. I'll take pics right now...I should fix that before tomorrow :)

the mistral sonics felt sort of ahead of their time, they held up fairly well against anything else from that vintage other than madds

the real old primes like that one were known for nose folding type breakages

bottom line is I liked the mistral better than the rossi and burton pictured. the sonic I rode I believe was bigger though....

man, that was like a decade ago.

They're actually 27.5. My rear toe gets a liiiiiiittle bit of overhang at 55*. I set it up that way because I thought I wouldn't be able to tip it on edge enough for it to drag until maybe next season (I've only been out on it twice), but last time I went the toe bail was dragging a tiny bit. I'll take pics right now...I should fix that before tomorrow :)

Here they are, as promised:

~64F/60R

Rear Left

166.jpg

Rear Right

167.jpg

I think I should be good until I can get the board on edge a little higher :biggthump

You know riding TD1s without the bumpers is a solid way to break a board or tear out the inserts. You've got a big unsupported lever there.

F2s might have been stout back in the day (compared to a Burton or Sims) but not that stout.

go for the Sims partly because of your feet and partly how the width will ride easier in a variety of conditions.If you end up not liking it I will buy it from you.But Bobdea is right ;none of the boards are worth more than 150.00 and that probably ought to include shipping if the board is not in great condition.

You know riding TD1s without the bumpers is a solid way to break a board or tear out the inserts. You've got a big unsupported lever there. Thing about it.

F2s might have been stout back in the day (compared to a Burton) but not that stout.

Trust me, if I had another bumper, I'd put it on. Those TD1s only came with 3 (2 purples and 1 yellow). I'm suck with that until I can get something better. :(

Trust me, if I had another bumper, I'd put it on. Those TD1s only came with 3 (2 purples and 1 yellow). I'm suck with that until I can get something better. :(

Talk to Fin, I'm sure he has some laying around. Or ask around here, I'm sure someone has them. At the very least you can get some Urethane and cut it down to size. I've even seen people use skateboard truck bushings (Khiro makes some that would suit this).

I'd go for the Mistal as well, for the same reasons someone else here said. Those Burtons were useless. The Sims not much better.

If you try rocking those TD1s like that on any of your options in this thread you'll crush those boards. All the boards you have in this thread were the ones TD1s used to kill. Unsupported TD1s will rip them to shreds these many years later. Even with someone your weight.

If you try rocking those TD1s like that on any of your options in this thread you'll crush those boards. All the boards you have in this thread were the ones TD1s used to kill. Unsupported TD1s will rip them to shreds these many years later. Even with someone your weight.

Well, ****.

the mistral sonics felt sort of ahead of their time...

Mistral became F2, so that's the shape your current board came from.

the real old primes like that one were known for nose folding type breakages

I can bet he wouldn't be able to fold this one. Pretty stiff.

Mistral became F2, so that's the shape your current board came from.

I can bet he wouldn't be able to fold this one. Pretty stiff.

I did not know that about mistral, makes sense though. they are similar and decent boards.

yeah, possible it might be fine. the ones with the cheese grater topsheets felt pretty mushy right in front of the binding as did the blue ones.

I assumed the silver ones were the same.

I did not know that about mistral, makes sense though.

It came from windsurfing side of things. Mistral was the Olympic class from the inception of windsurfing into Olympics, while F2 was really the major player. Eventually, F2 bought Mistral. So, suddenly F2 was the snowboard manufacturer too, by addopting the Mistral's line.