Note to New Members ×

Any BMX riders here?

Dan

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a BMX to screw around on...even though I should really be focusing on longboarding/dirt surfing, 'cause I already have those toys. Still, just out of curiosity, does anyone out there ride BMX, either street/park or dirt track?

Watching the Olympics certainly made me want to start racing again.

VERY disappointed with the quality of BMX bikes these days. Sheeeesh...they all weigh 30 pounds! Looks like all the pros are riding custom gear.

There are some good COTS 24" frames.

Not sure if my back could handle racing a 20", but the old man's cruiser class looks like a blast.

What is amazing is that some of the BMXers are putting out the same wattage as guys on the USA cycling track team. Very impressive stuff.

On a side note, I sold a few of my VDC Changa Longs on eBay 2-3 years ago (was sponsored by them for a few years) and was shocked they went for over $1000. Wow.

I ride BMX, but I only do it on my MTB now. I have an 07 Kona Scrap that I use.

I rode MTB's first and then wifey got me a cruiser. I rode BMX on the cruiser for a short time and then started racing in the cruiser class on my MTB. I gave the cruiser away and have not looked back. I am just too big for those bikes (IMO).

BMX is certainly a lot of fun. I generally do not race any more. I am just as happy to go to practice sessions at the track or go hit the local dirt jumps. I also enjoy urban sessions, although I often take the freeride or downhill rig out for that. I just got back from Ray's Mountain Bike Park yesterday. That place is always a blast. They have just about every kind of riding you can think of.

If you can borrow a bike, go hit a practice session at a local track so you can try before you buy.

I rode BMX as a kid and continue to ride now. I haven't raced since '99 but KarverKai is wanting to try it so I may jump in the gate when he gives it a go. We ride the track, have gone to a couple dirt jump locations and session skateparks from time to time. I would like to get better at DJ this summer. I ride skatepark or urban on my lunch hour during the summer.

I ride an old, '95ish, chromoly Haro cruiser (24") that is light, flexible and fun. On the track I prefer stiffer bikes for the power transfer but my Haro is still a lot of fun. I haven't tried a 20" in a long time though.

What is amazing is that some of the BMXers are putting out the same wattage as guys on the USA cycling track team. Very impressive stuff.

Kent, some riders were actually tested at a higher wattage output than the Oly Track Team. I read that Brian Lopes(BMX, MTB) tested higher and he even gave track riding a shot for a short period.

Ink

I raced Cruiser class when I was living in Hawaii I sucked but it was fun....I started on a cheap Mongoose cruiser and then slowly built a Badd Racing Cruiser from selected parts. I was planning on building a Standard 125R the BADD was just too good a deal to turn down. If you want to buy a good turnkey racer look at SE Racing or Supercross

in my late teens and have two 24 inchers now.One has a brake lever operated two speed like the set up I used to race with.I buy and sell the stuff on ebay because,like carving,it's an obsessive hobby.

For adults, a cruiser set up to be user friendly with taller bars and longer seatpost can be a great tool for staying for strong for boarding.Fun to zip around town on the two speed which is set up that way.

in my late teens and have two 24 inchers now.One has a brake lever operated two speed like the set up I used to race with.I buy and sell the stuff on ebay because,like carving,it's an obsessive hobby.

For adults, a cruiser set up to be user friendly with taller bars and longer seatpost can be a great tool for staying for strong for boarding.Fun to zip around town on the two speed which is set up that way.

Steve, I'm a big bike geek and would love to see a pic of how you have this working as a two speed (derailleur, internal hub, two chainrings.... the mind spins).

That's rad! Hoping the cost comes down from six bills tho. Oh wait, six bills plus BB plus front shifter. OK, that's what $750? Ouch.

If you compare to XTR setup or even xt it isn't too far out of range. You do need to have and ISCG chainguide mount on the frame also.

I think ACS used to make the 2 speed setup back in the day consisting of a 2 speed freewheel and deraileur. Pull the lever for the lower gear for your start out of the gate then release for the higher gear once you were moving.

Cool stuff.

Ink