Note to New Members ×

I tested some Virus boards...

groovastic

Hola!

Just came back from Soelden where I tested Psycho Evolution (Black series) and Vampire 175 :biggthump

In the first place, the weather was rather bad, visibilty was terrible and snow was VERY soft! :eplus2:

As I recall, Psycho was 169 or something like that, but it's still very fast! Or we could better put it like this: it loves speed!!! and it needs speed! And I must say it's still very springy! Much springier than titanal boards I've riden! Quite a dangerous board for foggy conditions :eek:

Vampire 175 was totally different. It's quite calm, and feels like a sheet of paper under your feet! (those are the only words I can think of to describe the feel... reminds me of a Goltes Extreme Carve feel) but it holds very nice in turns!

All together very nice boards, but it seems I'm not up to them! I somehow keep the memory of enjoying SG Race T few years ago as the best feel ever. So maybe SG is a more appropriate board for me, maybe SG is better, or maybe I just don't understand why Virus boards cost that much...

I'll attach some photos. The Psycho Black Edition looks :1luvu:

I remember the Scalpel having a really, really soft flex. Only torsionally stiff. I think a lot of modern carving boards are softer, but this one still surprised me. It had loads and loads of grip, but it was sensitive to bad weighting. I remember having a crash with it and looking back up to my line and it was altered drastically in diameter before I dropped out of it. Maybe I was a bit on the heavy side for the board too (+/-90 kg) but it seemed to do it by design.

It will probably respond perfectly to someone that has mastered the alteration of turn radius through flexing the board techniques. I guess the Vampire is a bit the same as a Scalpel if you describe it as a sheet of paper.

Too bad you didn't try the newer SG's as they rented them in at least two places this year in Soelden! I wish I would have tried them as well as a Pogo too...but Soelden is just like a candy store, you can't eat it all at once :1luvu:

All together very nice boards, but it seems I'm not up to them! I somehow keep the memory of enjoying SG Race T few years ago as the best feel ever. So maybe SG is a more appropriate board for me, maybe SG is better

It's not the board. it's the rider....:D

Psycho is 175 AFAIK.

Viruses are very very different in Flex and character. The softest and the stiffest board I ever had in my hands were both Virus boards. The same goes for the board with the most and the least camber. You really have to testride them or at least tell Frank very clearly what flex and character you want. But if you do that chances are very good you will get the perfect board for your style and weight.

Too bad you didn't try the newer SG's as they rented them in at least two places this year in Soelden! I wish I would have tried them as well as a Pogo too...but Soelden is just like a candy store, you can't eat it all at once :1luvu:

I was looking for a new SG, but they had no boards left in Moreboards :AR15firin

If you went down and left and walked up past the rental desks there were a lot of boots and boards like 2m rad air tanker, titanal kessler, f2, and i think sg and virus and maybe even pogo too. I was only interested in trying on the new Head Stratos Pro boots and getting mine repaired at the time so I didn't take full note of what was exactly there.

I have ridden a Psycho for a few years. This board is only suitable for power riders with over 80-85 kgs. And not suitable for riding in soft snow. This board only wants to carve on hardpack and digs in soft snow. It also needs wide groomers. (It's not the board, it's the rider....:lol:)

I have ridden a Psycho for a few years. This board is only suitable for power riders with over 80-85 kgs. And not suitable for riding in soft snow. This board only wants to carve on hardpack and digs in soft snow. It also needs wide groomers. (It's not the board, it's the rider....:lol:)

It's the rider! I weigh 75 kg!

or it's the conditions...? soft snow and stuff... :confused:

The short Psycho is the "Psychedelic" - around 168 or 169cm.

Psychedelic and Vampire are extremely different. As far as I have understood, you are looking for a speedmachine. If I were you I would go for a Berserker or a Spartan.

That must be the one

• 1 year later...

Come to Sölden (Austria) this coming weekend and test some of the new Virus boards, like the Stingray Evo III or the new Black Death III :D

Seems a good group of people is getting together this weekend to get the season started :biggthump

I am sure happy to join in as well. Need to get an early start on these so not Aspen conditions :o

Its a 203 with a 15.5 waist.

The one I tested had a hammerhead nose with an all white topsheet.

BOLA might still have it...

attachment.php?attachmentid=19183&stc=1&d=1259767724

Ray, I thought Frank started with an Evo IV or V, no? Is Evo III still the top of the line construction, carbon/kevlar/titanal.

I'd like to see some pics of the new boards.

Is still my favorite all-round carver! I think I prefer it to the bunch of Kesslers I've got and other good stuff I tried over the years. Never tried a Kessler or SG in 175, though, for really fair comparison.

Vamp is designed to be a "magic carpet" type of ride. It doesn't beat you up, just carves and carves and carves, even if icy, even if soft... Although relativelly soft, it is less weight distribution sensitive then, say, Kessler 171w or Swoard. It can surprise you by the sudden radius change if you screwed up, but it wouldn't buckle you or stay locked in an overtightened turn untill sitting in the snow, like some other boards do.