Note to New Members ×

Bootfitter in OC

Loc

Any recommendations on a bootfitter in OC? If I can fix my Le Mans with parts I just ordered I want to get the toebox blown out. Twice last weekend I had to quit in the middle of the run and take my feet out to relieve the pain :eek:

Last year my wife and I stopped in at Alpine Sports in Big Bear to have them work on her ski boots. They did a good job, ie she is happy. They are right on the main drag about 2 or 3 blocks west of Snow summit on the north side of the road. 909 866-7541

They did the fitting while we waited after a day of being on the slopes. It was on the way and totally convenient.

Loc, I posted this last year.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18637

Take care, Tom

LOC, I go to Stefan Kalen once every so often just to kill time. They're close to home and it is fun to look at all their stuff---no hardboot equipment though. The store is a kind of a hoity toity NB ski boutique, but there are one or two techs that seem know their stuff when it comes to boots. Although I have never had boot work done from them, I have talked with them on occasion, and they can at least talk the talk. They have another location in CO, Vail or Aspen, I think, which gives them a little more credibility. Most importantly, Tom (Milte) knows whats up and he had a good experice with their boot fitting. Also, since you are up in Mammoth a lot, as you know, there are dozens of boot fitters in town. I have had expericnce with Foot Loose and would go back.

Tom(Milte), where have you been? Back in Japan? Bring back one of those Yonex carvers. I still have the Carve magazine you gave me. Although I can't read Japanese, I often study the tech section pix. Great publication, I wish we had hard copy like it here in the US.

Take care guys.

GC

LOC, I have been going to that shop since it was called Pat's (like 10 years ago). Have had several sets of footbeds made there with good results. Try the cork ones - made a huge difference with boot fit for me. Jeff knows his stuff and has been doing the footbed/bootfitting gig for a long time. There is also a guy named Chris that might be the boot shop manager.

GaryJ, Hope you and the family have been good. Your kids must all be teenagers by now. I am on my second tour in Japan. Still got my place in HB though. Wasn't planning on moving back but that is the way it worked out. Vacation is currently close to max so I am trying to get to LA/Mammoth for the Snow Performance Camp in May. Only have 8 days this season so far - have a new metal board I haven't even riden yet! My contract is up at end of 2009 but looks like it will get extended through 2010 if the "powers at be" here have their way. It ain't a bad gig here - just wish I had more time on the snow!

Take care, Tom

Loc,

Nekdut already mentioned SkiNet in Studio City.

Don't know if the location will work for you or not, but I highly recommend this shop. Just had my new Track 325s fitted there this afternoon. They also had to re-position the top buckle straps because they were too loose. This took a bit of drilling, cutting and riveting, so they might be able to help you with your repairs as well.

John

http://www.skinetsports.com/

HeyJohn & Nekdut,

Do you guys know if Skinet Sports can also tune boards? It would be perfect if they did since they are just down the street from me.

If not, do you know of any place in LA that I could trust with tuning my boards? :)

I don't know about that one. The website makes no mention of boards. Since Fastlane in Burbank closed last year, I'm having the same dilemma. There is Val Surf in Valley Village, but I've only used them for waxing, not tuning.

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended going to Stephan Kaelin in Newport Beach since it's a 10 minute drive for me. Jeff wasn't working yesterday but Josh helped me. I left my Le Mans over night and picked up this morning. There's a lot less pressure on the front of my feet now. I can't wait to see how my riding changes in Tahoe this week. Btw, the cost was $30.

• 2 years later...

Went to SkiNet Sports yesterday to have some new Track 700T's fitted. As Nekdut and Hey John posted earlier in the thread, they did a great job. Claude definitely knows his stuff and is very passioned about boot fitting. Also had him make me a set of custom footbeds which turned out nice. Eric and Gary in the shop were also very knowledgeable and fun to chat with. Highly recommend these guys if you need boot fitting. :biggthump Tom

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended going to Stephan Kaelin in Newport Beach since it's a 10 minute drive for me. Jeff wasn't working yesterday but Josh helped me. I left my Le Mans over night and picked up this morning. There's a lot less pressure on the front of my feet now. I can't wait to see how my riding changes in Tahoe this week. Btw, the cost was $30.

I didnt know you were so close Loc...assess/wanna carpool? Stephan Kaelin? Where Where??????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Do you know of anywhere that can correctly cook liners...in Orange County?

I spoke with Skinet sports in Studio City and they are a bit far for me and at $75 to cook liners, a bit pricy.

I've done it myself according to the Bomber instructions, but I'm wondering if there are better options.

Stephan Kaelin's shop in Newport has been closed for some time now, and when I'm in the Bear area I'm so pressed for time so somewhere in OC would be great.

Thanks!

RJ, I am sure there is a shop somewhere in OC that can do it. Just couldn't easily find one. That's why I went to SkiNet Sports. I too have cooked my own liners several times with decent results. Needed footbeds so that is why I went to SkiNet Sports. Decided to have them cook the liners while I was there. It was a 2 man process for them and they really made sure there where no pinches and my Fintec cables were behind my ankles. Definitely turned out better than doing it myself. Take care, Tom