Note to New Members ×

Longboard equipment suggestions?

bhh1128

We're in a winter storm warning for tomorrow! Maybe we'll have a few more weekends of snow, but things are winding down. I'm planning ahead and hoping to come up with some way to replicate carving in the summer months.

Does anybody have pointers for getting into longboarding? Insect boards catch my attention, but I've heard Loaded boards capture the snowboarding feel a bit more. Is there any truth to this? For a beginning longboarder, does it matter much where I start?

Even the smallest piece of advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm a newbie that's only ridden 1 longboard, but I love my Loaded Vanguard. It feels a whole bunch like doing small-radius turns on my Donek FC1 when I'm pumping it down the street/sidewalk. It's wild to bend the deck and tighten up the turn radius just like a snowboard.

www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum is a good forum with tons of stuff to read.

Thanks. I did get a bit of input on silverfish, and it sounds like the choice of equipment doesn't matter so much at first.

Although I am curious about trucks, as it sounds like they may be more important than the board in determining the overall feel. What do you have on your Vanguard?

Paid around $550 out the door.

sounds like a lot ..

Complete package with Randal 180 and Orangatang Orange 80a (for example, more choices listed) for 304.00 $ (+shipping) on their site. What explains the difference ? The wheels ? Deck just came out when you bought it ?

Anyone here rode a Dervish ? I'm also looking at Loaded like bhh1128, and hesitating between the two (close specs). If you're into "footwork" between carves, the Dervish looks awesome.

regards

SnowieQC

I am not a fan of Loaded boards, mostly I don't care for the Flex characteristics but also the concave (or lack of it) and the cost....that said I am an admitted fanboy of Earthwing boards specifically the Supercharger lively flex (especially on Indy's) and a nice Concave, functional tail.

090129_Boardsandstuff_0009.jpg090129_Boardsandstuff_0013.jpg

Really though the most important thing is to get a setup that works well together, part of the reason I have a quiver is that it took me a few tries to get various parts to work well with each other (took me forever to find the right combo for my Tracker Fastracks and for that matter my Fishballs)

The trucks matter a lot. I have the Randalls and like them a bunch. There might be some more modern designs that are better. Avoid the standard-design trucks that come with a lot of the cheaper package deals. Trucks like Randalls are both more turny and more stable than conventional designs and make longboarding that much more fun.

The trucks matter a lot. I have the Randalls and like them a bunch. There might be some more modern designs that are better. Avoid the standard-design trucks that come with a lot of the cheaper package deals. Trucks like Randalls are both more turny and more stable than conventional designs and make longboarding that much more fun.

I will argue this with anyone, Reverse kingpin trucks provide stability that many people (myself included) need at speed, but do not confuse a stable turn with being more turny Indy's (conventional trucks) will out turn Randals any day but you have to have the skills to control them. I say this having broken 50mph on both Indy 215's and Randal 180's the ride on Indy's was more lively in a straight line to say the least but much more comfortable in the twisties and the opposite was true with my Randals. In the end I decided that I preferred reverse kingpin trucks for Downhill but I have hit 40mph speedcarving on that board posted above numerous times and the Indy trucks were more than capable of providing a stable ride and at lower speeds conventional trucks are much more fun for carving. To quote a very smart person

"When look at complete skateboards, remember: Wider trucks aren't necessarily better, Reverse-kingpin trucks aren't necessarily better,Taller wheels aren't necessarily better, Always think in terms of the system, not just the components."

Andrew Mercado is well known for being a demon on conventional trucks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhULuQGXcA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhULuQGXcA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Included tax, the big expensive wheels, fast bearings, trucks, snazzy tool. My recollection could be a little hazy too.

Will sell to BOL person for $350.

No hazyness intended !

I was just surprised at the difference.

You'll find someone for this bad boy !

Always think in terms of the system, not just the components.

I'll drink to that :)

Anyone ever ordered from http://www.daddiesboardshop.com ?

I love the Loaded Dervish I got last season. I rode it almost every day for at least an hour or two on our local bike paths and in and around my neighborhood. I also bought a Surfrodz 60" free-ride, and I like it too. It makes the summer months easier to endure. I use the Randal trucks on the Dervish. I suggest you buy lots of bushings of varying degrees of hardness, and mix them up and try out different combinations. It can really change the way a longboard feels and rides. They are relatively cheap, so you can keep experimenting until you find the best set-up for your weight and riding style. My personal favorite for wheels are the 75mm Avilas (the soft red ones). These have the widest contact patch of any wheel out there, and are wicked for carving. Carve, carve, carve, all summer long! :D I can now feed my carving addiction all year round...

Thanks. I did get a bit of input on silverfish, and it sounds like the choice of equipment doesn't matter so much at first.

Although I am curious about trucks, as it sounds like they may be more important than the board in determining the overall feel. What do you have on your Vanguard?

There's a lot of good information in this thread, but I think you really nailed it in your observation. Personal preference accounts for strong opinions about longboarding equipment. I happen to like Loaded. My vanguard (w/randals & abec11 strikers) is my "goto board" - - the one board I'd bring to that hypothetical well-paved desert island. But that's a matter of taste. I have a stiffer board with Indy's and that's a great ride too.

Earthwing is a fantastic maker also (if the weather holds I'll be riding with their crew in Prospect Park tomorrow night, whoot!!).

But you need to learn your taste. Spend $200 (+or-) for a complete board from a reputable vendor like Daddie's or Mile High Skates. Ride it. Find your local longboard scene and try other people's rides. See what you like.

Silverfish is a good place to sell/buy other stuff if find your preference leads you to want something else and can't afford or don't want to start a longboard quiver.

I bought a Loaded Dervish last year and I love it...

Thanks for sharing some comments on the Dervish !

speaking about carve, carve, carve ... came across this vid on the tube :

First of all, I'm sure they're loved in that neighborhood !

But .. to me it doesn't seem like they're using carveboards like those found on daddiesboardshop .. It looks more like mountainboards. anyone on that ? anyone tried one of these: http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=154

Jetkin : no one will argue with ya about teh "now go ride" statement ! Whatever you got !

Thanks Gecko. Good to know.

I thought everyone were going "no assembly" ! Is this what you mean by setups ?

Quote corrected. :o

I was only joking about the quote....

setup's = the combination of parts that make up each complete....at present I have 11 boards. some boards work with certain trucks and wheels and some don't. For instance my pool board, my last board was set up with ACE55's and RnR Black Holes. Now Ace trucks are copies of stage 3 Indys and turn really deep and RnR wheels are hard narrow and fast wheels....that setup work very well but I wore out the board...the board I got to replace it didn't work with either the trucks or the wheels I had another set of wheels that worked fine but the trucks were an issue that just bothered me in the end I bought a set of Indy 169's and that was it. The board posted above is another example I started with a set of Tracker Fastracks on it switched to Randals before putting those Indy's on it...even xxguitarist agrees that it feels best on Indy's. Some retailers spend the time to try out various parts to put together completes in a manner that works well and some sell the most popular parts on the market regardless of how they work on a particular board (example any reverse kingpin truck on an EW SuperGlider or a Gravity Hypercarve both boards designed for standard trucks) ....lately this has been with wheels but here was a time that every DH Board had to have Crails or you just couldn't go fast...similar to the prejudice that you can't go fast on Indy's or that you must have BigZigs/Otangs in order to drift corners...

The latest craze however is probably one of the best and that's freeride wheels, this craze is about General Purpose wheels, EW Freeriders, Retro Freerides, Venom Bombers and whatever Loaded decides to release are deep urethane round lip wheels that are much better suited to all round riding than the hard lipped wheels that are promoted by many.

The best "board whisperer" I have found is Mark Chandler on Mile High Skates he spends a lot of time trying things out...even if you don't or can't order from him look at how he sets up boards

Thank you Gecko for your trendiness explanation.

I was thinking too much in french I presume ... clearer now :freak3:

I'll tell you .. like in the hardbooting world, the longboarding one has many ways that one person can take ... hardware speaking. With a small local crowd that practices the sport ...and the lack of longboarding ressources (stores specializing into it, etc) over here, it can be another money hole before you reach the perfect setup ...

As it's always the case with any non-mainstream sport I guess.

Cheers !

Thank you Gecko for your trendiness explanation.

I was thinking too much in french I presume ... clearer now :freak3:

I'll tell you .. like in the hardbooting world, the longboarding one has many ways that one person can take ... hardware speaking. With a small local crowd that practices the sport ...and the lack of longboarding ressources (stores specializing into it, etc) over here, it can be another money hole before you reach the perfect setup ...

As it's always the case with any non-mainstream sport I guess.

Cheers !

pretty much...the mainstream skateboard world is popsicle boards and Sector 9/Arbor....everything beyond that and you dip into the small manufacturer/designer world which like Coiler/Donek/Prior is where the real fun begins:1luvu: Having a board whisper to glean info from is very helpful

speaking about carve, carve, carve ... came across this vid on the tube :

First of all, I'm sure they're loved in that neighborhood !

But .. to me it doesn't seem like they're using carveboards like those found on daddiesboardshop .. It looks more like mountainboards. anyone on that ? anyone tried one of these: http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=154

Yes, that's the Carveboard. I have one, and it's probably one of the closest alpine snowboard emulators you'll find as far as high edge-angles, but you can't ride anywhere near as fast on a Carveboard as you can on an alpine setup. They turn TIGHT, and they're only good for going down hills at relatively slow speeds, as I mentioned. They're not good for pushing skateboard style either - too heavy, and they don't roll far with the giant rubber tires.

The CarveStiks are closer to a skateboard as far as pushing goes, but still extremely sketchy at speed, and if you really want to push them around much, you'll need to replace the stock "Dakone" wheels with real skateboard wheels.

Jack has written articles about some of the "Summer Carving" boards if you haven't read them:

Street Carvers

Tierney Rides

Tierney Rides Updated

Original Skateboards also deserves mention in a discussion of carve-oriented boards.

Your link (nice one btw) brought me to this one : http://www.pipelinesurf.ca/

Might be a cheaper way to get a setup for all Canadians longboarders ... free shipping from coast to coast. Less choice than on daddiesboardshop but with the current currency exchange ... it might represent a lot of savings.

Cheers

I have the Large S10 Original Trucks on my Surfrodz 60" Freeride deck. These trucks are definately different in how they feel. They are worth checking out. I have the heavy white springs in mine, and they feel really nice. My only complaint about them, is that they require regular cleaning and relubricating as they tend to get gummed up with road grit and grime and dirt. I just have to convince my wife that I need several different decks, so that I don't have to spend as much time on cleaning and maintenance each day on the two decks that I currently have. :D My next deck is going to be a Roe Racing Mermaid - LDP (Long Distance Pumping) deck. I would also like to add a SurfRodz Thresher, and perhaps an Original complete, or a Bustin Cigar this summer. I know, it's a sickness, but I always feel better when I get a new longboard :biggthump