Note to New Members ×

Where would you ride in Tahoe if.....

reweston

Wherever the pass is cheapest! What are your skills and budget? If price is no object, Squaw Valley. If you've got a lot to spend but maybe not Squaw money, Alpine Meadows. Those two are the most "complete" resorts on the north end of Tahoe.

Northstar has lots of great intermediate terrain and long long runs and cheapish passes, but I haven't ridden there in a few years and I hear it can get really crowded on the weekends.

SugarBowl also has cheaper passes if you buy in the fall, and it's the closest to you, but to me it's more of an off piste resort (as are Alpine and Squaw, truth be told).

Other than those you'd be looking at another hour from the summit to Mt. Rose (maybe 40 minutes on dry roads if you haul butt and go over 267). That's where I'm at, and it's not really worth the extra driving, IMHO (but it is high, so snow stays better longer).

oh, and Homewood, Donner Ski Ranch and Boreal are all inferior

When are you moving? Alpine has a great spring pass deal. I think its $159 this year. Unlimited pass good from March 28 through the close of the season (sometime in May). If you love it and want to buy a full season pass there next season (which is also good at Homewood), they'll apply the $159 toward the purchase of next year's pass.

Squaw sometimes runs a similar deal in the spring too. Squaw is bigger, more expensive and usually more crowded than Alpine. Otherwise, the terrain at the two mountains is similar - Squaw has more and better grooming much of the time.

Squaw and Alpine are the choices if you like off-piste, steeps and other challenging terrain. If you like long groomers, Northstar is popular, but they sell so many cheap season passes that its a mob scene most weekends and parking is a nightmare (they make you park a mile away and bus you to the village).

Mt. Rose is a local's choice for those living in Reno, but not so much for where you're moving. Sugarbowl will be your closest decent resort. You mentioned DSR. Its across the street from Sugarbowl, but its a tiny little place. You won't want to ride there much.

You'll be close enough to do day trips to any of the North Tahoe resorts (Sugarbowl, Squaw, Alpine, Northstar, Homewood, Rose, Diamond Peak, etc.).

If you get here this spring, I'd be happy to show you around Alpine.

first check out www.tahoecarvers.com.

I'd have to say that most of the tahoe riders ride at Mt Rose (close to Reno), and Kirkwood (3-3.5 hours from the bay area). but there are few people riding at all of the resorts.

Donner is close and easy and small and cheaper. Same for Boreal. Busy but good slope grades for carvers. Sugar Bowl has a good variety of steepness, some good runs to carve, some good off piste, including some of the steepest in Tahoe. All essentially next to each other at Donner Pass.

Mt Rose is higher (good when it rains), Close to Reno, smallish, and has a good variety of steepness, including super steep off piste.

Northstar is great for carving with fairly constant slope runs and wide. but it gets busy. Lots of terrain, lots fo great tree riding off piste.

Squaw, big wide open, and good for carving. Lots of off piste and hiking opportunities. Expensive and busy on weekends.

Alpine not as big as Squaw or Northstar, some good runs for carving. Lots of off piste and hiking opportunities (steep and complex). AWESOME spring time riding.

Homewood. Pretty easy in general, some good carving opportunities. Usually not busy.

Heavenly. big, intermediate and usually busy. But there is some awesome hidden off piste here, it just takes for every to find it.

Reweston,

We love Kirkwood for the other Carvers and Homewood for no crowds, view of the lake and cheap tickets. Alpine Meadows for Sunny Slopes 'til 4 pm on the left? side and Squaw Valley for everything and "High Camp" for the Hot Tub/Bar. Don't like Heavenly. Go to Garwood's for dinner if you like boats and want to eat on the lakefront.

There is a multi-mountain pass available in the fall.

Thanks, Bricky