Note to New Members ×

SPOT anyone?

skategoat

I'm sure most of you have been following the story about the Quebec couple who ventured out of bounds at Kicking Horse and wandered around for 9 days before one of them was rescued (the woman died).

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/02/26/rescue.html?ref=rss

Two things I am going to do after reading this story.

1. I am am going to buy a SPOT and subscribe to their locator service:

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=1300

What I like about the SPOT is that it's not just for emergency use. You can use it track your route and even share with friends.

2. I'm going to carry waterproof matches with me when I ski or ride in big mountains.

Do any of you own a SPOT? I have read nothing but positive reviews. Would anyone be interested in negotiating a group purchase?

I thought about getting one for my John Muir Trail hike last year. It's pretty expensive when you factor in the service and insurance. Alternatively, you can rent a satellite phone which isn't cheap either. I would look for user reviews of the SPOT device. I remember seeing anecdotes about spotty coverage etc when shopping it last year.

Up front I want you to know I AM NOT criticizing the couple, I was not there and it is truely a tragedy.

I have a grab bag (6"x10"x3") in my car at all times that has tinder in a water proof container, firestarter, lighter, water proof and wind proof matches in a water-tight container (nothing is going to stop me from starting a fire), water purification, signal mirror, compass - a good one, small first aide kit, cord, emergency blanket, toe warmers, 3 long burning candles, a bandana and a energy bar (that sucker is getting old). And a water bottle with water in the trunk. I throw it in the backpack if I am gonna do something spur of the moment in the wilderness/unknown area to me. All I need is a map and I am good to go. If my GPS is with me, I am superman. If I plan to go out, I have extra clothes, headlamp and other crap to keep me comfy without being burdened down with unnecessary crap.

The really bestest thing to do is always figure out where you are and keep yourself found. Know your limits - if you have a medical condition or no physical conditioning, stay in sight of the road and car at all times. Spend your money on a school that teaches you how to navigate and survive in the outback and you will be better off than having a SPOT. Then, having a SPOT and etc. are prudent but mostly not needed except in an emergency, usually an injury. Avalanch equipment is required in the backcountry (off-piste) in winter - shovel, probe, 4 leaf clover, avalanche beacon, AvaLung, etc.

If you rely on a SPOT or a cell phone and not a solid set of skills, you are asking for problems.

Laurence Gonzales' book "Deep Survival" was a real eye-opener to me - I thought I was always prepared but it made me rethink and replan.

My 2 cents.

Rick

This service has come up at work as a possible accessory for certain individuals in the field. I'm interested if there is a group rate afoot. I tried to rent a Satellite phone several years ago when my wife was pregnant and I was going to be in an area with no cell coverage (somewhere in West Virginia)- fiasco. I couldn't find one to rent short term in the D.C. metro area at that time. This at a time when the military was handing them out like candy in Afghanistan to anyone that would say they'd use it to inform.

rhaskins, no doubt that nothing beats preparation but you simply cannot anticipate every scenario. For instance, if I am hiking or canoeing deep in the wild, what happens if I turn an ankle and cannot walk? A satellite locator would be a lifesaver.

I'll look into a group rate and see what comes up. Another option is shared ownership.

In 2003 at Yellowstone up in the mountains, a Grizzly bear came tumbling down a steep and landed on his butt directly in front of me, and all I had was a f'n camera and telephoto lens to fend him off. I guess the SPOT would have helped find the remains if the Grizzley had decided to have me for lunch. There I would have been, a pile of scat somewhere.:eek:

Point is, I can't imagine myself lost for a WEEK and not finding my way back. There are discussions about this couple all over the place, and a lot of people are not being kind about their route finding skills, but are praising their survivability skills. And a lot of people have a basic problem with SPOT and any other service like it - it promotes a feeling of famailarity and negligence with the outdoors. The outdoors is a pretty wild place where anything can happen. You should prepare. SPOT sevices will tend to get more SAR call-outs for needless rescues. The cellphone already does that, people getting into situations and assuming that their cell will a) be able to connect and b) get immediate rescue. I read some SAR and Sheriff reports, and they are a hoot. I think "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" 2008 even touched on that cell phone instant helio thing.

When the 3 climbers on Hood perished and there was a massive call-out to SAR, Sheriff and National Guard, there was a bill put before the Oregon legislature to start charging for rescues - it was defeated. But that type of thing will happen in the future. You press your "rescue me" button on your SPOT and you are automatically in for a $10,000.00 rescue fee? Because you don't have a $20 compass and $5 (or free) map? And never took an orientieering or route finding class for free or minimal charge?

Now if I fall down a scree littered slope next summer and break a leg in Colorado, I will remember all these arguments as I slowly freeze to death (or get charbroiled by lightning!). But I will have my compass, map, crampons and ice axe with me, a change of clothes, food, water, bivy sack and that bottle of Advil I always take with me. Hey, with that said, I could probably use my ice axe to splint my leg, take a strap or two from my pack and help with the splint, grab the signal mirror and keep flashing the trail and try to crawl back up to the trail. Eating energy bars and drinking water all the way (but collecting my litter). hopefully someone will see me, my mirror or my yellow helmet bobbing up and down as I crawl up the mountain to the trail. I'll have great pics.

Just some Sunday morning musing.

Rick

I've had a SPOT all season. They gave me a unit to test out. I really like it. There are a bunch of things I'd improve on it if I could (I told them about my ideas when we met at CES), and I think they'll be updating the units this coming year. Dan, you might want to wait until you are nearly ready to go on your trip in case there's a new version with better features.

Definitely get the mapping/follow me service if you get it. It is very fun to send friends a url link so they can track where you are / have been. Plus you can check it out when you return.

The "OK" and "HELP" buttons are pretty cool. You can send an SMS type message out to a pre-defined group of people at various points just to reassure them you are OK. You could also use those buttons to let people know you are ready for resupply or other stuff that you've agreed upon in advance. Unfortunately you can't modify the message from the unit - only online before you use it.

I bought the insurance for $7 in case I ever press the 911 button by mistake or my kids play with it and try it out. Then again, I also have helicopter insurance so that's sort of my MO.

SPOT is not exactly the same as an EPIRB or PLB. But for all intents and purposes as far as 99% of those on this site are concerned, they do the same thing. Its just that SPOT uses a commercial service to contact SAR and the others go direct to SAR (like I said, its really not going to make a difference to you if you press/need the 911 help). There is some FUD out there suggesting that other units are better because of this difference - not true IMO. Also, this guy has reviewed it and offers more detailed info on his site on the FUD issue - http://www.equipped.org/

Here's a page with a discount on the tracking part of the service (save $49): http://www.findmespot.com/thumpertalk/

I thought I remembered seeing something where if you bought the SPOT service for a year, you basically got the unit free, but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking. I think you can also buy them through Costco and get a deal similar to the free tracking offer above.

Bottom line: your cell phone will most likely NOT work when you are in the backcountry. A PLB or SPOT unit can and will save your life if you are stuck and really need to call the cavalry.

Just to add. A SPOT does NOT replace an avalanche beacon. Nor does that Recco thingy that came sewn into your coat/pants.

If you don't understand either of the above two sentences, please reply and I'll try to write out a detailed description of what each device really does. Bottom line is SPOT would be in addition to your normal avy stuff like Beacon, Probe, Shovel and first aid kit.

Just to add. A SPOT does NOT replace an avalanche beacon. Nor does that Recco thingy that came sewn into your coat/pants.

If you don't understand either of the above two sentences, please reply and I'll try to write out a detailed description of what each device really does. Bottom line is SPOT would be in addition to your normal avy stuff like Beacon, Probe, Shovel and first aid kit.

just curious about the recco thing because I know that my coat has one. from what i understood its basically an rf tag like the ones department stores use to keep people from shoplifting, only bigger

• 2 weeks later...

One part of this story that I think many people have missed is that (please remember I am just passing on information not judging) the couple hit the hill before checking in to their hotel or letting anyone at the resort know they were there. If someone knew they were not where they were supposed to be i.e. their hotel room, this might have set off a flag earlier. I'm just suggesting that letting as many people as is reasonable know where you are is a good first step.

I

I thought I remembered seeing something where if you bought the SPOT service for a year, you basically got the unit free, but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking. I think you can also buy them through Costco and get a deal similar to the free tracking offer above.

I was confused. It was something I discussed with them in January but it has only just been announced. Here's a link:

http://www.findmespot.com/robby/

Pay for service, get unit free.