Note to New Members ×

full face helmets?

BryanZ

Looking for experience from people that have used them.

I was just wondering how warm they are. On days that are windy and below freezing, the old goggles/knit cap/and face protector combo doesn't work too well. It gets moist from my breath and freezes within a couple hours.

I was wondering if a full face helmet solves this issue. Honestly what I'd really like is a full face motorcycle helmet, that basically gives your head its own atmosphere, but that would look sort of goofy on the slope.

To people that have worn full face helmets while riding/skiing, are they nice and warm? I guess you just need a set of goggles.

I just can't stand riding on the lift with 40mph gusts at a -20 wind chill.

what do you guys use to make riding in extremely cold conditions comfortable?

I do regular helmet (w/ear protectors) + goggles + full head/face mask (http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-2880-Seirus-Neofleece-Combo-Clava-item.htm), which offers a few options:

Everything just loosely pulled down around your neck for fairly warm days,

facemask portion pulled up to chin or up around nose for colder days,

and facemask on and hood pulled over the head under the helmet for the really bad days.

2880-seirus-neofleece-combo-clava.jpg

Cold days, I think the coverage is great. Come springtime, won't find it's way out of the closet. Giro Remedy Full-face--only gripe is the re-breathing can work it's way up your lenses and fog things up. Toasty....also remember if you're trying to spit out a piece of gum........it isn't going far

I'll use one sometimes.

They're actually colder than a regular helmet because the mouthguard won't let you pull up your collar. The last really cold day I rode a fullface, I used my goggle bag tucked up under the cheek pads on both sides, across my face with the goggles keeping it all in place over my nose.

That was super warm.

A full neck tube doesn't really work because it bunches up under the helmet at the back. The rectangular flap of fabric from the goggle bag puts the coverage only where you need it.

Another thought I had was for sledding and backcountry. I wanted to fit my fullface (a Troy Lee D2) with a surplus oxygen mask like a pilot would wear. I'd hook that up to the Avalung in my pack and along with the airbag I bought, be in good shape for any slide that doesn't rag doll you through the trees, or bury you in concrete with you head up you ass.

That's what I use now, honestly they do keep me warm, but I loathe the wet face mask. It always soaks up moisture from your breath and gets wet. I have to dry it out atleast once a day. I was hoping a helmet would just keep your entire head dry and warm, problem free.

Full face helmets do squat for facial warmth. A snowmobile helmet sucks, the visor fogs up real quick with any aerobic activity.

I layer various face covering based on temp. I was out in -30F with a -45F windchill earlier this year. That required two fleece facemasks and putting my mitts in front of my face on the lift to keep my face warm.

Let the facemasks freeze, the ice also provides a windbreak. ;) The real trick is getting your breath out of the facemask - otherwise it sneaks into your goggles and fogs them instantly. You need a wide open path for your breath to get in and out, but yet it has to convoluted enough that the wind can't get through and freeze your skin.

I also tape over the vents on the top of goggle lenses on cold days. They let in too much cold air, causing fogging on the inner layer of the lens.

If you have a vented fullface like a Remedy, you might want the extra fabric over your head.

My D2 has no vents, so this mask would be too much for me. Looks like it sits pretty close to the mouth so you'd still get slimed and couldn't take it off without removing your helmet.

If you could partially separate the part over your mouth, I would see no problems with that mask.

I was comfy at -14F with the "Pinch" full head and face balaclava. No wind and brilliant sun. The breath-deflector thing instantly iced my Rx goggles but with the rx insert removed I was able to enjoy 2 1/2 hours of great conditions with that and a regular helmet.

Full face helmets look totally moto tho, they're pretty cool.

Just a public service comment, try to ride with a buddy in sub zero conditions. We run a pretty horizontal line carving these boards and if you go off-piste accidentally and crack your head on a tree or something a buddy to call for help might be a life saver.

I pretty much wear the same thing whatever the weather, add a layer and face cream when it's colder.

Patagonia R2 hoodie (try to find one of those nowadays :p) no bunch/gap under helmet or neck.

Carrera race helmet, Oakley M frames with integrated half-mask (they stopped making them? it covers the nose and cheekbones without any fog in the goggles).

Collar is fairly snug on my jacket.

AND DON'T FORGET TO HYDRATE!!! (water of course)

I pretty much wear the same thing whatever the weather, add a layer and face cream when it's colder.

Patagonia R2 hoodie (try to find one of those nowadays :p) no bunch/gap under helmet or neck.

Carrera race helmet, Oakley M frames with integrated half-mask (they stopped making them? it covers the nose and cheekbones without any fog in the goggles).

Collar is fairly snug on my jacket.

AND DON'T FORGET TO HYDRATE!!! (water of course)

I've heard of face cream....what do you use? Does it help your skin?

really hard to find now (even though its distributed by swix), Dermatone sunblock skin protector CREAM SPF23-33. You can find the tins easily, but its messy, the cream is great (90+mph driven ice pellets in new hampshire, my friends were in pain, and I didn't even notice).

https://www.dermatone.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=6