Note to New Members ×

the adjustable riser plate

Coloradoking

ive been working on ideas for a riser plate that is both adjustable vertical rise, stance width and flex. so far my ideas kind of run along the lines of using a mounting system similar to the vist plate (all the way between feet, with standard inserts) and the rise and flex are dictated by different length bolts supporting the plate with things similar to skateboard bushings (there will be a bushing underneath the bolt head so that it doesnt pressure the board hard) (going to be wider and be differing sizes) to dictate the flex. to adjust the stance with im thinking of just using something as simple as long bolts on each rail with a nut to keep it in place. (by the way, there will be 2 kingpins under each foot to keep it from flexing over the edge)

if anyone has ideas on this, feel free to throw 'em out there

ive been working on ideas for a riser plate that is both adjustable vertical rise, stance width and flex. so far my ideas kind of run along the lines of using a mounting system similar to the vist plate (all the way between feet, with standard inserts) and the rise and flex are dictated by different length bolts supporting the plate with things similar to skateboard bushings (there will be a bushing underneath the bolt head so that it doesnt pressure the board hard) (going to be wider and be differing sizes) to dictate the flex. to adjust the stance with im thinking of just using something as simple as long bolts on each rail with a nut to keep it in place. (by the way, there will be 2 kingpins under each foot to keep it from flexing over the edge)

if anyone has ideas on this, feel free to throw 'em out there

ummm, at the binding level it's called catek

I assume by bolts, you are referring to bolts the travel through the plate and into the board. at the center

I would think that you would want to keep the bolts attaching the plate to the board as short as possible to minimize shear stresses on the bolts and inserts - particularly given the way that the vist plate is designed to travel against the board longitudinally (is that a real word?). Longer bolts are bigger levers, and a thicker plate will flex more throughout its thickness and exert more strain against the longer bolts as the board is decambered. Seems to me that you would want to keep the screws as short as possible.

But then again, I'm not an engineer.

ummm, at the binding level it's called catek

cateks use an elastomer under the entire binding, the bushings used in my idea are used, like the catek; to protect the board from the bolts and adjust the flex

however, cateks flex laterally and they dont have much rise; AND not everyone likes catek so theres definately room for this kind of development.

once i prototype the thing it'll have the support bolts sitting at the corners of the plate (not going above the level of the plate) but with a tight enough spread that the plate wont bend under pressure.

again, once the thing is prototyped and ridden i'll make necessary changes

but remember, this thing is just an idea, not really something im trying to push on the world cup; im just trying to build something affordable that works for different riders, both men and women at any stance width, board size and binding angle.

cateks use an elastomer under the entire binding, the bushings used in my idea are used, like the catek; to protect the board from the bolts and adjust the flex

however, cateks flex laterally and they dont have much rise; AND not everyone likes catek so theres definately room for this kind of development.

once i prototype the thing it'll have the support bolts sitting at the corners of the plate (not going above the level of the plate) but with a tight enough spread that the plate wont bend under pressure.

again, once the thing is prototyped and ridden i'll make necessary changes

but remember, this thing is just an idea, not really something im trying to push on the world cup; im just trying to build something affordable that works for different riders, both men and women at any stance width, board size and binding angle.

Ok so is this something like what you are talking about?:

A plate with four bolts for each binding , one bolt on each corner of the plate. Middle two (middle of board) holes are round, precise holes that fit their mounting bolts exactly. Outward two holes (towards rear or front of board) are more slots than holes, matching the width of the bolts but permitting the rear bolts to move along the length of the plate slots - to permit the board to flex naturally, while the bolts travel in the slots. Is that the sort of thing you are talking about? Some variation on a design like that could probably provide for adjustable rise, if you were to lay an additional riser between the base plate with the slots and the binding. I suppose such a riser could be made out of some kind of damp rubber/plastic elastomer material to provide a damper ride. I think a drawback of that design would that as the board decambers further your toe/heel lift would increase somewhat, though that might not be all bad.

Overall, the VIST plate sounds like a much more secure, solid design than that - though a two plate design would probably weigh significantly less than the VIST.