Note to New Members ×

Which kind of rider are YOU?

SWriverstone

On an empty, perfect slope, which kind of rider are YOU?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. On an empty, perfect slope, which kind of rider are YOU?

• The Bomber
    • The Hula Dancer
    • The EC Hero
    • The Hazard
    • Honestly, a mix of styles!

Seriously—I always assumed truly great riders can ride ANY style on ANY slope...and don't let the slope tell them what to do. :)

Someone said this to me a while back and it's really innacurate. I know guys who I would consider "great" ec-ers who couldn't survive 100 yards in moguls. I also know a lot of guys (myself included) who can ride anywhere on pretty much any mountain, but have never had an interest in laying out on the snow turn after turn.

The great rider sees his/her line before they start...the line is dictated by several factors- the slope does tell you what to do - you just have to be smart enough to listen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's classic carvedog—you officially made my signature! :biggthump

Scott

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Gravity tells me what to do. The slope is merely the plane of interaction on the way down. —carvedog

carvedog.... seriously..... put that sh%$ on a tshirt and send me an XL...... i'm in.

carvinsno

That's classic carvedog—you officially made my signature! :biggthump

Scott

You guys crack me up.

Glad I could contribute something. no royalties necessary. beers - yes. :biggthump

Really how I feel though. Gravity provides the energy, I just redirect where contact with snow happens. I did have to think about it a bit.

This is more about skill and the hill than anything else.

Only novices with limited abilities or people with limited terrain stick to one thing.

Another classic SWriverstone thread. Like "riding blacks", you can't say you "choose not to ride a certain way", you just can't ride that way. Simple.

If you used to ride that way and don't anymore, you're not expert anymore.

You say "Oh yeah.. I used to kill it in the park!", or "You should've seen me in the 90's in a racecourse... I smoked those fools!" Yeah? Well if you're not in it anymore, it's because you'd die if you did, not because you made some kind of conscious choice.

Ok... I will back off a bit to say that dedicated alpine riders get caught up in adopting one run they like to ride and this one run usually accomodates the type of turn they like the best. Hardboots tend to be particularly adept at pidgeonholing people because very few can ride them off piste, or in more challenging terrain.

This sidebar only further illustrates the first point when I think about it.

I suppose it *is* a classic SWriverstone thread Rob. :D Hey, I'm back from SES and bored! But it's all meant in good fun...and really doesn't suggest one-sidedness or an attempt to pigeonhole so much as it addresses people's preferences in riding.

It's perfectly normal for people to prefer one style over another...nuthin wrong with that. (Although I'd agree with you that someone who does them all well—which I certainly don't—is a truly great rider.)

Heck, I suppose we could say that if any hardbooter can't do a 720-degree half-Johnson with a cocked flipper backside in the halfpipe on a freeride board...then they aren't really a good snowboarder...but gosh, that's kinda harsh isn't it? :)

Scott