Note to New Members ×

From SB224s to Head Ski Race boots....wow?

IronTom

19 to 19.5, with 32" inseam (that's what matters, and width of your hips - height doesn't matter). That's with high 50' to low 60' angles.

On wider boards with lower angles and softer bindings I can go to 20 - 20.5 without cants.

Rule of the thumb: there should be no pressure on the cufs when strapped in just standing on the carpet.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent most of my ski past on race boots which had a flex index of 150(really bad on a snowboard!). I found the Krypton Pro's to be softer than what I was used too but they looked like a good idea as a cross over boot. Since I've had them I went from full stiff while skiing (140) to now using them as soft as I can (100) for both skiing and boarding and I'm not finding any problems with them at all for general skiing. The only time I miss the extra stiffness while skiing is on those really icy days when the extra response from a race boot would be nice.

I agree with you on the softer flex. Even the newer race boots are softer in the forward flex these days. Todays shorter/shaped skis changed what we need from our boots. We need to be able to flex into the boot in a way that allows us to stay balanced and pressure the ski evenly.

The super stiff race boots of yesterday have very little margin for error on todays skis. Too much forward pressure and you over power the tip. Not enough and you get in the back seat. Of course the shape of the ski will compensate for some of this, but the softer boots allow you to keep pressuring the cuff without over powering the ski tip. Now, pressure is distributed more evenly across the longitudinal axis of the boot allowing for a more even fore/aft pressure distribution, more overall power, and improved balance. Prefect when combined with the modern ski.

Even though I just recently purchased my first snowboard boot, I think I will eventually try a newer ski boot on my board. I would like to be able to make the switch from my skis to my board more often and not have to take two pairs of boots to do it.

Ok, now I tried to ski in by new BTSed Dalbellos. Just aggressive carving on hero hard pack, nothing extreme. It worked just fine. I didn't even preload the springs any further, just cranked on buckles a bit more.

I think I had a tad less rebound of the tails as BTS absorbed some of the energy, but it wasn't big deal. Actually, it might prove great for bumps and freeriding.

Finally got my Dalbello's sorted, but have some quiries. The forward flex feels great but when pressured heelside the upper casing pivots on the top pin and levers away from the boot. At the same time the lower bracket levers back a little. I know they are not designed for Head's/Dalbellos but was wondering if this happens on Raichles. Or maybe I have made a mistake installing them. Has anyone pinned or t-nutted the bottom half of the upper casing to the boot? This question is primarily towards BlueB who has done this mod to Dalbello's but if anyone has any ideas please chip in.

post-6153-141842279707_thumb.jpg

post-6153-141842279709_thumb.jpg

post-6153-141842279711_thumb.jpg

It seems that you remouved a lot of material by upper pin. Make sure that you check it regularly.

I lost the ancle buckle other day. So, if you did that mod too (resulting in replacement of rivet with screw and t-nut), plase put lock-tight on the screw!

Snowboard boots don't meet the DIN standards. The rubber soles/pads on snowboard boots are not compatible with ski bindings. UPZ makes DIN soles which are hard plastic and meet DIN standards.

I always use both AT and Snowboard boots in ski bindings. BUT only in bindings that have a loose plate under the toe that moves/slides out to the side with the boot when releasing!!!

/Gunnar

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from France And I must say a big cheers to BlueB for the heads up on the Carvex. It was my third trip of the season and the first one without foot pain. My UPZ's are heading for the bin. I would thoroughly recomend finding a pair and adapting them for BTS, they work a treat. I did not have any problems with overhang using 53/46 degree angles on my SG 163 Full Pro(I think its about 20cm waist). I am a size 9 english 10 american but was able to use 265 mondo shell with Thermoflex. Now I want to try some Krypton pros. Check out my photo's of me loving carving in ski boots. http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Willowfifteen/CarvingInFlaineApril2009#

Right on! Welcome to the wonderfull world of board/ski versatillity.

There is another mod I did on mine. I'll post the pic some times, later.

Some of the models (but not all) come with Power Inverter on the medial side of the cuff. There is nothing on lateral side, which makes for pretty low rigid point. That often gave me side/shin bang on the rear foot (when loosing the edge with skipping or riding in really rough conditions). My fix was to strip the Power Inverter piece from another pair and install on the rear boot, latteral side. I installed it much higher then factory position, more or less level withthe top of the plastic tongue. It works great!

• 1 year later...

This is a newer model, which is not BTSable (look at the pic of plastic around switch at the back, compare to the black ones I posted before). I had a pair like that too, still very good boot. You still can tune flex by cutting a portion of inner cuff wings.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday I went from my usual BTSed Dalbellos to a spare pair, just a stock model. It offered a lot stiffer flex and more snug feeling inside (same liners). I had great power and ballance on firm yet grippy snow and good plowing power later when things softened up. I used them in "carve" mode - locked backwards, some flex forward. I loved it.

Might not go back to BTS next year, except for teaching and freeriding...

Disclaimer: Weather was realativelly warm. I kind of remember the non-BTS version being very stiff in very cold conditions, few years back.

• 4 months later...

Picked up a pair of Dalbello CRX of ebay for $50! They are NOS and only have cosmetic blemishes. Fit pretty much exactly like my HSP's but prefer the flex of these. Was planning on BTS'ing these like BlueB but I think the Carve and Ski modes will provide enough options for now. Have about 1cm more length on the sole so we'll see how that works. The buckles seem better quality than the HSP's too but otherwise the shell is identical...and these are 1997 stock! Crazy that Head is/was using this mold still.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Great find on the Flexons.

Full Tilt has brought back the concept.

I'm looking at the Full Tilt Classic or the Dalbello Krypton Cross. Every March I compete at the NASTAR Nationals as both a skier and boarder. 2008 worked out particularly well. The problem is that I have to be in two places at once. I make one run on the board (best of two counts), check how I'm doing against the competition, change boots, grab the skis and poles and show up late for my first run on skis. I never get to inspect the course but that's just the way it is. I could save time if I could use one pair of boots for both.

At present I use Lange World Cup 120s on skis and Head Stratos Pros on the board. Both have been extensively tweaked and are dialed in. For reference, I'm age 65, 5' 8", and 170 lb.

I'm not sure a boot exists that will let me be competitive on both but I'd sure like to hear your thoughts.

I have a pair for Kryptons, slightly modified, that id use for racing, or carving only

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=337033&postcount=1

Wow. Great find on the Flexons.

Full Tilt has brought back the concept.

I'm looking at the Full Tilt Classic or the Dalbello Krypton Cross. Every March I compete at the NASTAR Nationals as both a skier and boarder. 2008 worked out particularly well. The problem is that I have to be in two places at once. I make one run on the board (best of two counts), check how I'm doing against the competition, change boots, grab the skis and poles and show up late for my first run on skis. I never get to inspect the course but that's just the way it is. I could save time if I could use one pair of boots for both.

At present I use Lange World Cup 120s on skis and Head Stratos Pros on the board. Both have been extensively tweaked and are dialed in. For reference, I'm age 65, 5' 8", and 170 lb.

I'm not sure a boot exists that will let me be competitive on both but I'd sure like to hear your thoughts.

• 2 years later...
Another model of the Krypton. The pro is stiffer. The pro goes from 100 to 140 in flex depending on which tongue and stiffeners are used. The Il Moro, I'm guessing, is 80 to 110. It is softer than the pro by quite a bit. The silver liner is softer than the gold liner also, but is a bit more comfortable than the gold. If you are prone to getting shin bite, the Il Moro with that big shin pad is the way to go. Really distributes the shin pressure nicely.

I ride the Il Moro model, and it's actually 120, so just a touch softer than the Pro at 130. http://www.dalbello.it/en/product-il_moro_quot_t_quot_i_d-205

Has anyone ridden the Lupo? http://www.dalbello.it/en/product-lupo_sp_i_d-12365

Described as "Essentially a KR 2 Pro with a walking hinge", also "Dalbello’s first Krypton boot with a walk/ski mode that allows the cuff to be unlocked for skinning, hiking, or riding a snowmobile to get to backcountry lines. The midsole is rubberized to further enhance traction in these scenarios".

I suppose the walking hinge could be replaced with a homemade spring system, or possibly modified BTS?

post-2456-141842408849_thumb.jpg

post-2456-141842408844_thumb.jpg