Note to New Members ×

Rear boot forward lean versus heel lift

BadBrad

Yesterday I did a little bit of test-and-tune on my setup. I started with 3 degree front toe lift and 3 degree rear heel lift on my TD2s, with just a little bit of inward canting on each. It felt pretty good and balanced. I used to use a 7* rear cant with my Burton plates, so I decided to try a 6* rear disk on the TD2s to see how that felt. I expected it to feel a lot different from the 3*, but it really didn't feel that much different to me. The one thing I did notice was that I liked a little more foward lean in my boot with the 3* than with the 6*, so forward lean seemed to be the real difference, not heel lift.

So is it recommended to use less heel lift and more boot lean or vice versa? Or does it not really matter?

Standing still on my carpet, the 6* rear lift felt like it was throwing my weight forward and felt less centered and balanced, but on the slopes it felt fine.

I say more rear lift and lesse lean totally based on my own logic and I could be very wrong

here's how I think of it, if I already have my rear boot maxed out then I have very little travel left in my boot. depending on the boot this can be a very restricting and unforgiving ride. feels kinda like having a ski boot in back.

I like having some travel so my legs can suck up some bumps

could be wrong though, totally based on making my setup work for me.

I'm with Bob on this.

Quite interesting, I was discussing it with Roy (cracked ankle) just this afternoon. When his injury happened, he was riding 0 at the back foot. It came from overflexing the ankle, so if he had a bit of heel lift, his ankle would be maxed out a bit later - could have saved it?!

Also, whan you ride with straighter cuffs, your muscles are less strained.

Mondo lift is good when hitting a steep run. very important..

TD's need a 9 degree lift absolutly..

here is what I have seen happen with out heel lift.. a degree travel in the boot is important.. thats why a good heel lift is important so your not locked in a forward lean all the time getting that thigh burn..

Do this experiment.. with out heel lift an you get low by bending your knees, especially with a wider stance.. you notice as you get low your heel will preload the rear of the board and flex it off the surface.. you can try this just by standing on it and squating down on the board..

The heel lift prevents some of this preloading so when you get to steeps you can squat down with out lifting the tail or preloading the board.. which i found to help keep an even sidecut edge on the surface as you attack a steeper pitch.. keeping your body perpendicular to the fall line on steep stuff I found a big heel lift works..

I tried this with many riders... F2 bindings can be put at massive heel lift which I like.. also some times a toe lift will hinder this by pushing you away from getting over the board on steeper stuff.. try the board with a 6 degree back and a 0 degree front... just for giggles..

My two nickels

RSS

IMHO it really depends on how and what U ride.

I rawk on 0 front and 6 degree rear with greater angle inward on the rear foot so I can turn my hips a bit more and get square and sit back and also lean forward when I pull my rear boot forward on the turns.

Presently my carver is set 50 front 56 rear.