Note to New Members ×

boot sizing question

BryanZ

this is driving me crazy, I measured my mondo at 28.3 by putting my foot on a ruler. My street shoe size is 11.5, and fit perfectly.

I have a size 11 softboot and it is too tight...

according to various charts, a mondo 28.5 is equivalent to about US 10.5???

no way a 10.5 is fitting me. Can anybody explain to me what size hardboot I should be buying.

measure your foot in mm - that is how mondo sizing works. US sizes are unreliable. I wear a 9.5 in some brands and a 10.5 in others.

conversion charts suck as well.

place a piece of paper on the floor. step on it. trace the outline of your foot. measure the distance from heel to toe. that's it...

if you are anywhere near a ski shop, go try on some head ski boots. they fit almost exactly the same as stratos pros.

if you measured your foot at 28.3mm, buy size 28 hardboots.

I find myself in agreement with you here...

I'm currently wearing old mondo Point 28.0 Burton Reactors that fit pretty perfect. A deal made easy due to the fact that the local shop I bought them at years ago had several sizes in-stock for me to try on...

ah, the good ole days.

I agree with others that say, "measure your foot per (insert link here) and order that size new boots..."

BUT I have also seen quite a few posts about boots thus ordered not fitting...

Based on this I have to say that "Shopping" for new hardboots is looking like a roll of the dice at best.

$500 and a week later you get a pair of boots that don't, and likely have no chance of fitting without first heat-molding liners. And then if they still don't fit and you have already heat-molded the liners, you can't send them back....

Good luck to you :lurk:

OR.....

Being that the OP is in Jersey, he could drive up to Vermont, walk into Startingate, get properly fitted for Deeluxe or Head boots with or without thermoflex, and be happy!

Definatly out of my price range for my first setup even though I frequent that area a few times a year

Honestly, there is nothing worse then having boots too small, I'd rather them be too large and wear some extra thick socks. I'm a little nervous about buying size 28, everywhere I look it says thats about a size 10, and I'm an 11.5 street shoe.

Are ski boots rated in mondo? I guess I could go to the local ski shop and try on some different sizes.

You want the 28's. My feet are 25.8 and 25's are a perfect fit with Thermoliners. I started with 26's thinking like you, I could just wear more socks. IMO, this does not work. For comparison, My street shoe is 8.5-9US=25mp. Son #1 is 9.5-10US=26mp, Son#2 is 10.5-11US=27mp. If they feel a little tight, they WILL pack out...then you'll be thinking"hmmmm, maybe I shoulda got the 27's:) But yeah, go to a shop and try on some ski boots to be sure.

For comparison, My street shoe is 8.5-9US=25mp. Son #1 is 9.5-10US=26mp, Son#2 is 10.5-11US=27mp. If they feel a little tight, they WILL pack out...then you'll be thinking"hmmmm, maybe I shoulda got the 27's:) But yeah, go to a shop and try on some ski boots to be sure.

awesome man, that was a big help, thanks for real measurements. The other sites are saying a size 11 is a size 29....

28 it is

Definatly out of my price range for my first setup even though I frequent that area a few times a year

Honestly, there is nothing worse then having boots too small, I'd rather them be too large and wear some extra thick socks. I'm a little nervous about buying size 28, everywhere I look it says thats about a size 10, and I'm an 11.5 street shoe.

Are ski boots rated in mondo? I guess I could go to the local ski shop and try on some different sizes.

Bryan- consider you can always make a liner thinner and a shell can always be ground down, but doing the opposite never works as well.

:confused: like I said, my MP 28.0 boots fit pefect (though I like to be able to wiggle my toes 'round just a wee bit for warmth) and I walk around comfortably in size 10 street shoes

ugh, so that conflicts the sizes he uses but agrees website US-CM conversions.

This is my problem, so many conflicting answers.

According to the boot sizing chart, I am a 28.

I am size 11.5 US.

You are a size 10 US, but wear a 28.

something is not adding up.

Street shoes are an imprecise fit. You can wear a 12 or an 11 and generally be comfortable. Also, shoe sizes are preference. I wear a pair of size 12 chucks laced up very loosely for just walking around school. On the gridiron, I wear size 11 cleats laced up till my fingers hurt from the laces. Both are comfy, the chucks are just "relaxed"

Hard boots on the other hand are very precise. Don't ever look at a chart. Measure your feet, ignore what you wear when you're not on snow.

like I said, I like to be able to feel my toes... even when well into a long day.

I can't stand that, I hate losing circulation

For the record, I am 10 times more concerned with comfort then performance. I want to be able to go the entire day without even wanting to take my boots off. Nothing will ruin my day on the mountain more then my feet being uncomfortable, and really thats all I'm there for, to enjoy myself.

Street shoes are an imprecise fit. You can wear a 12 or an 11 and generally be comfortable. Also, shoe sizes are preference. I wear a pair of size 12 chucks laced up very loosely for just walking around school. On the gridiron, I wear size 11 cleats laced up till my fingers hurt from the laces. Both are comfy, the chucks are just "relaxed"

Hard boots on the other hand are very precise. Don't ever look at a chart. Measure your feet, ignore what you wear when you're not on snow.

Ugh, that's a tall order man, size 11 softboots were way too tight on me. Sure they performed well, but I had to take my boots off twice a day.

Is what your saying apply to someone who is specifically concerned with comfort?

If you're not concerned with comfort in your boots, you're nuts! :lol:

Going bigger doesn't mean comfort. It means heel lift, blisters, shinbang, the whole nine yards.

Going smaller will be more performance feeling, but may not be the most comfortable.

Not surprisingly, the best choice is the correct fitting boot. Any fine tuning can be done with a heat moldable liner in the fitting stage. Yes, get a thermoflex.

My Deeluxe Suzukas spend all 8 hours of a day buckled up as tightly as I like. They don't get loosened, they don't get taken off. They spend all day at that tension. I miss them when I take them off. That protective feel, the ever constant light pressure and warmth is almost motherly.

If you're not concerned with comfort in your boots, you're nuts! :lol:

Going bigger doesn't mean comfort. It means heel lift, blisters, shinbang, the whole nine yards.

Going smaller will be more performance feeling, but may not be the most comfortable.

Not surprisingly, the best choice is the correct fitting boot. Any fine tuning can be done with a heat moldable liner in the fitting stage. Yes, get a thermoflex.

My Deeluxe Suzukas spend all 8 hours of a day buckled up as tightly as I like. They don't get loosened, they don't get taken off. They spend all day at that tension. I miss them when I take them off. That protective feel, the ever constant light pressure and warmth is almost motherly.

that is my dream to be able to have a boot like that, I think I'm just going to have to go to the ski shop and try on a 28.

dude, you're getting good advice and ignoring it. My first modern pair of hardboots were size 28.0 because I thought I knew better than all of the advice I got here. I was miserable from the toe bang at the end of every day, and lost my big toenail on both feet. after a month of that, I bought some 27.5s and never had a problem again. And this year I got the Dalbello golds and my feet have never been warmer

dude, you're getting good advice and ignoring it. My first modern pair of hardboots were size 28.0 because I thought I knew better than all of the advice I got here. I was miserable from the toe bang at the end of every day, and lost my big toenail on both feet. after a month of that, I bought some 27.5s and never had a problem again. And this year I got the Dalbello golds and my feet have never been warmer

Some guy in here is a size 10 street shoe, and wears a size 28. I would never ever fit into a 10 street shoe, so i think it is only natural for someone in my position to assume that a size 28 is wrong for me even though I measured 28.3 CM.

I then have other people saying "get the 28, trust me."

I don't know any of you, the only thing I have to go off is that more of you seem to think the 28 is the way to go.

No, you don't know any of us...but the average poster here has more knowledge of boot fit than your average ski shop employee. Seriously, if you're not gonna listen to us, go to a ski shop and try on a few ski boots in various sizes. Head Edge ski boots fit very similar to Head Stratos Pros, and Dalbello Kryptons fit similar to DeeLuxe boots - the length is the same - heads are a little wider.

No, you don't know any of us...but the average poster here has more knowledge of boot fit than your average ski shop employee. Seriously, if you're not gonna listen to us, go to a ski shop and try on a few ski boots in various sizes. Head Edge ski boots fit very similar to Head Stratos Pros, and Dalbello Kryptons fit similar to DeeLuxe boots - the length is the same - heads are a little wider.

oh I'm listening to you guys and I'm well aware you guys know more then the people at the ski shop, that's why I'm on here. I just don't know which people on the forum to listen to.

I just actually tried on a size 10 shoe and I was surprised about how well it fit. Size 28 it is

thanks for your help guys

Some guy in here is a size 10 street shoe, and wears a size 28. I would never ever fit into a 10 street shoe, so i think it is only natural for someone in my position to assume that a size 28 is wrong for me even though I measured 28.3 CM.

I then have other people saying "get the 28, trust me."

I don't know any of you, the only thing I have to go off is that more of you seem to think the 28 is the way to go.

Some people have different tolerances of fit. I for one, have no problem having my foot bound up as tightly as possible. I also like having a loose fitting shoe.

Just because he wears a size 10 doesn't mean jack when you're talking hardboots. If your feet measure the same length, he probably likes a tighter fitting shoe than you. That's all that his street shoe size means.

You measured your foot to be 28, what is so difficult about understanding your foot is size 28?

OR.....

Being that the OP is in Jersey, he could drive up to Vermont, walk into Startingate, get properly fitted for Deeluxe or Head boots with or without thermoflex, and be happy!

agreed, seeing as I used to sell boots and owned around 30-35 pairs if I include tele boots, ski boots and soft boots and that the starting gate is one of the only places I trust to do my boot work.

Tex has given the best advice so far +1 on what he said

I made the mistake by buying boots with out doing the research. Take the advice, its not a question of trust, its about chance. Even if you bought them new you're still taking a chance.

My first set of hardboots was size 28M and I'm a US 9. My feet were swimming in these boots not to mention the pain I endured because of the liners. Then I got a pair of 27M they fitted a little better but like you I could not wear the boots for any long period of time. Five runs and I was done!

Then I did the pencil, paper, trace test and discovered my foot was a 26M. I now use a 26M with moldable liners and I love them. Like KC added I can wear them all day with no pain. Its an absolute great feeling. This is my second season in hardboots. I was in soft boot setup for 12 years and will probably give up the softies for good.

I also use very thin socks. I'll take comfort over performance, plus the fact that I wouldn't notice the difference. In the end you're going to have to chance it. Good luck in your decision:AR15firin