Note to New Members ×

Broken!

k2slopesurfer

me, not the board....

Broke my left clavicle in 2 places on monday, no more snowboarding for the rest of our really short season, which means no teaching, which means, no $$$$.

I'm gonna stick around and work in group sales and maybe set skiis and stuff, in hopes that i will at least be able to instruct on my skiis, albeit without poles in a couple weeks.

just wanted to feel sorry for myself for a bit:(, the upside is though, that we've been getting lots of new snow, so go get some for me eh?:biggthump

Awww man! That sux!!! Injuries totally blow.

I broke my clavicle pretty thoroughly last season. If it is an option, a good surgeon can have you back on the slopes in 6 weeks (would that leave you with any time to ride??).

I hope it isn't/wasn't too painful I got lucky with my break and there was relatively little pain, though the moments immediately after the surgery and before the morphine were ... well, somewhat unpleasant to say the least. I found that sleeping somewhat upright on my couch made things a lot easier for me.

Keep your chin up!

Awww man! That sux!!! Injuries totally blow.

I broke my clavicle pretty thoroughly last season. If it is an option, a good surgeon can have you back on the slopes in 6 weeks (would that leave you with any time to ride??).

Hey K2,

I healed a single break in 5 weeks, in fact I have got bone breaks in general down to 5. The good news is the ground hog saw his shadow so you should have the time to heal and still ride this year. However you need to get that stabilized, are they planning to pin it? It will definately heal faster, but with pins, the result will be weaker. The take home message is not to do anything too stupid too soon or you'll be starting over. Just ask Carver Chick about that.

Good Luck!!

Hey Al,

I resent that last remark!

Hey Carverchick,

I didn't mean to imply that what you did was stupid, afterall we had no idea that you actually had a break in the first place. I think K2 is reasonably sure, so to then re-separate those breaks prematurely would in fact be rather stupid. I can say that as I have been guilty more than once. We all know how anxiuos we get when we start to feel better.

So get back to surfing so tomorrow gets here faster.

I was working on some things one of our level 2 instructors taught me in between classes, dug my nose in really hard and I landed right on my shoulder and head, thank you Bern helmet, have seen the xrays again and i have not broken it in 2 places, i have basically crushed the middle of the bone into many chunks:eek:

There is no pin or operation for my type of break according to the surgeon i saw but if I work really hard at healing i may be able to make a trip to Colorado after the southeast season is over... anyone got a free couch?:ices_ange

I'll be fine, the pain is nothing that i cant handle, even without the use of narcotics! I'm taking my calcium supplements, eating right, and I hope that my 3 week xrays show some healing.

K2, you might want to consider some body armour once you heal. I have taken several hard blows to the shoulder this season and just ordered some. Definitely can't hurt. I took a similar fall to your's, it sounds like, and my shoulder and ribs were hurting for almost 2 months. Just healed back up in time for me to slam on hardpack in the same spot. Ouch! Hope your recovery comes quickly.