Note to New Members ×

First day in hardboots (ski boots!)

Call me jack

Unless you are riding Catek bindings you are going to have trouble getting enough foward lean. This has been beaten to death in this forum about why ski boots work or don't work. I rode them for a while with Catek WC plates but don't do it anymore. If you can get some snowboard boots do it. you will enjoy the sport more and will be riding better. Chris Karol uses them- if you can contact him you might ask how he modifies them..

About 30%, or more, of the racers ride in ski boots. And then, few of us, freecarving weirdos ;)

Some ski boot models work better then the others for carving. Some have adjustable lean and stiffness.

My Dalbello CarveX have the lean adjuster and I keep it right in the midle. I feel better in straighter boot and more toe/heel lift in the bindings, as the muscles are more relaxed like that.

So i did some modifications to to the boots to give'm a little more flex that helped, i'm still going to get real snowboard boots though.

also, i'm use catek OS2s, and after riding for about in hour with just the boot mod, i switched my bindings from 0 lift front, 3 heel-rear (no cant), to 0 front, 6 heel lift (still no cant) this helped out alot, i think. I'm still fighting the boots, but i can feel the board, and ride it with alot more capablity than before. i can remember, but i think once my hand my i have touched the snow (if i did, i know their was no breaking at the waist)

So i'm deffenately not gonna give up on alpine, just cause of my boots. congrats, you guess got another keeper of the faith. =)

. i can remember, but i think once my hand my i have touched the snow (if i did, i know their was no breaking at the waist))

Make sure you're not reaching for the snow though. Reach forward like you're holding handlebars. In fact, what helped me was exaggerating the position by clipping my gloves together with the little "keepers". This was too extreme, but it got me so that I was comfortable with having my hands forward. Perhaps a piece of bamboo as prescribed by Jack Michaud in one of his articles. He also mentioned to not wrap your thumbs around it, because your thumbs will break or dislocate when you fall.

Also, if you want an example of what happens when you reach for the snow, look up the member "Oldvolvosrule", you can see that reaching for the snow has caused all of his hair to fall out! :p In all seriousness, use that picture as an example of what not to do.

what ski boots are you trying to ride in? i personally ride dalbello kyrpton pro's.. they are extremely tough to "dial in."took about 7-9 modifications to get them comfortable and functional. is there a reason you dont go to a snowbaord specific boot? unless you are looking for something in particular, i'm sure there is a deeluxe to fit your needs.

what ski boots are you trying to ride in? i personally ride dalbello kyrpton pro's.. they are extremely tough to "dial in."took about 7-9 modifications to get them comfortable and functional. is there a reason you dont go to a snowbaord specific boot? unless you are looking for something in particular, i'm sure there is a deeluxe to fit your needs.

I couldn't swing the price on snowboard boots. I got last years salomon foils. A park boot.

Opinions, and we all got 'em, speaking from this change, I found that moving from ski boots to alpine specific made a huge difference. Although the foil may be softer than some, you'd be well served to pick up another option. I was in your shoes so I picked up a decent used pair of Burton Reactors when I started and was amazed about the difference, cracked those, got some Burton Shadows and now Fires. For fun, I tried my ski boots again one day--never again. Felt like the tin man after the rain and rust set-in. What size foot? I do still have the Shadows, no liners but maybe worth it for you.