Note to New Members ×

February 8th Carving at Snow Summit

Arclite

Chains for tomorrow?

According to the latest report, no chains required on Hwy 38. I think the back route is around 20 mi longer.

Due to possibly "EPIC" carving conditions, I'm going to Bear instead of SS. Longer, steep runs at Bear. Good conditions beats out comaraderie:eplus2:

And if the snow is too soft and gets hacked up too quickly, I'm bringing out the softboots and freestyle board for the park and small half-pipe. The small half-pipe was looking in good shape on Friday.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got back from Summit about 1:45 after leaving Taco Bell at 11:30. Very slow drive down the hill with heavy fog causing traffic to back up most of the way. For anyone else who was there - sorry I missed you. I did happen to see one other hard-booter while I was taking a break at the Summit Haus. Whoever it was, was cruising down from chair 2 toward either Summit Run or Miracle Mile with red or orange boots. Could that have been you Aaron? I rode from one side of the mountain to the other finally ending things up with a couple trips down the family park just for grins since I haven't been over there for years. With the flat light and the soft snow being pushed around quite a lot and quite early I called it a day pretty early on.

Snow was light and fluffy at Bear Mtn. Visibility was patchy. Snow was very carvable, when I could see. Rode from 8 to 12. At noon, it got fogged in from the summit down to the beginner runs.

I stayed out of the trees. Coverage was still looking thin in the bowls. I didn't want to risk the Schtubby!

. Whoever it was, was cruising down from chair 2 toward either Summit Run or Miracle Mile with red or orange boots. Could that have been you Aaron?.

Not me Kerry, I am home nursing a sore hip from the fall I took at Bear Mtn last weekend.

King, are you telling me that 18cm waist boards and race stiffness don't do well in powder?? Just have to get them up to Mach 4 and then they float well.

Not me Kerry, I am home nursing a sore hip from the fall I took at Bear Mtn last weekend.

King, are you telling me that 18cm waist boards and race stiffness don't do well in powder?? Just have to get them up to Mach 4 and then they float well.

4cm of taper, lots of stance setback, sounds like a powder board to me! haha

It floated great in whatever I was in. Wasn't powder, I can tell you that. I'll tell you what though, that rock solid nose was a wonderful thing to have. The number of times I saw people falling off the front of their boards...This stuff but a bit less of it was the snow I was complaining about folding the Burton in. Hardpack was great, but it wasn't "safe" feeling in any other snow. The new Coiler is just so great in everything. I'm really getting that sidecut tamed now too, can't wait to come to summit again and show off my new arsenal of carves! (or hit my head and skid around all day again)

Took the Olympic Bowl at High. That soft snow sure is confidence inspiring!

And although I shouldn't have, hitting every single bump you can see is so much fun. You spend more time up than down.

But..the one time I'm not taking up half the run, some softbooter almost hits me, causing me to lose my line, hitting a mogul at "Full Floater" speed. I was like "Sweet air! Maybe this will be okay" but my fat ass scraped all the snow off and made the landing less graceful that it should have been.

damn, i'm so bummed i didn't get to go up. would have been great conditions to test out my 192 tanker.

oh yeah, and Aaron, remember how i told you i rode that FCI about three times? Well, one of those days was at Mammoth after about 12-18" of fresh pow... NOT fun. Switched to the ATV for the rest of the trip. That was fun, until the leg went snap, crackle, pop... haha :biggthump

Snow was light and fluffy at Bear Mtn. Visibility was patchy. Snow was very carvable, when I could see. Rode from 8 to 12. At noon, it got fogged in from the summit down to the beginner runs.

I stayed out of the trees. Coverage was still looking thin in the bowls. I didn't want to risk the Schtubby!

So you never pulled out the Dupraz?

I remember the first time i boarded on powder....that was crazy!

I had a vision futura 132 and it wasnt really wide. That thing sunk!

i couldn't cut from summit to miracle mile if i wanted to...

then i switched to my K2...

COMPLETELY different story.

that thing floated like i was on a cloud. ahhh.

but we got snowed in, and left at 11:30

traffic was so bad we didn't get home till...4 ish

WHY DO I ALWAYS START THE NEW PAGE??!?!?!?!?!?!?

In that deep soft slop, powder boards aren't always desirable. Maybe for the first hour the lifts are running it's dry enough, but fresh snow down here is HEAVY.

If you stuff the nose, say goodbye. That said, they do climb on top quite well so stuffing isn't as common.

Pardon my ignorance, why wouldn't you want a powder board? If you're gonna stuff the nose with a powder board in powder, well, i can't see how any other board type would put you in a better position to NOT do that.

Anyway, I'm lost. If i went riding on Sunday, there's only two boards I'd consider riding in my quiver - the Tanker or the ATV. Madd BX and Donek FCI... no no no = stuffing and submarining the nose for sure.

And unless you're really dying to have some new hardware installed, you won't even bother trying to carve in anything more than 8" of powder.

So you never pulled out the Dupraz?

From the report, I didn't think it snowed enough to make the tree-riding worthwhile. So I left the Dupraz at home. For the small amount of untracked snow I hit and soft bumps, the Schtubby worked great.

Pardon my ignorance, why wouldn't you want a powder board? If you're gonna stuff the nose with a powder board in powder, well, i can't see how any other board type would put you in a better position to NOT do that....

I'm in agreement with Bullwings. If it's deep sierra cement, I'd go with the powder board.

Pardon my ignorance, why wouldn't you want a powder board? If you're gonna stuff the nose with a powder board in powder, well, i can't see how any other board type would put you in a better position to NOT do that.

Pardon YOUR ignorance? It's more than likely my ignorance. Trust me! :lol:

I don't know what you guys had at Summit, but I really can't imagine it was considerably more dry than the wet stuff we got. It stuck to EVERYTHING.

Powder boards, as I'm sure you know, have very soft noses so they almost "flap" up on top of the powder. What we got down here was most certainly not powder, at least not at High. Nobody had flotation problems as long as you stayed out of the untracked stuff (even then, the skinny board stayed on top no problem as long as I didn't stop, or more properly in my case, fall)

Bruce's AM boards have a flex pattern such that the board is relatively stiff in the nose, soft between the bindings, and slightly less stiff in the tail. (AKA the save your tail tail)

This essentially means that any "folding" of the nose happens between your feet, which doesn't work, so the board doesn't fold. This supposedly makes the board prone to oscillation when you're going fast in deep carves, but that's not why you buy an AM board. Terry can probably attest to how easily the board initiates with the softer feel underfoot.

The shape aids flotation in any kind of snow, instead of the flex pattern.

Now my board..is just stiff all over, but moreso underfoot, requiring a bit of "windup" to even get it to start carving. I had a hard time finding that sweet spot at JPMCS, which resulted in much pain. Obviously not a great daily driver, but it's a fun board, I'm young and heavy, and it's a fun board. It's fun too.

Long story short: Unless you're in really dry powder, a true powder board may not be the best tool due to the soft snow. If it's something that the race board will stay on top of, I see no reason to use a real powder board. This of course is mainly using my anal-vocal chords, since I have absolutely no idea what kind of snow you guys had at summit.

Too much board theory..anneurism imminent...

I don't know what you guys had at Summit, but I really can't imagine it was considerably more dry than the wet stuff we got. It stuck to EVERYTHING.

Powder boards, as I'm sure you know, have very soft noses so they almost "flap" up on top of the powder. What we got down here was most certainly not powder, at least not at High. Nobody had flotation problems as long as you stayed out of the untracked stuff (even then, the skinny board stayed on top no problem as long as I didn't stop, or more properly in my case, fall)....

...Long story short: Unless you're in really dry powder, a true powder board may not be the best tool due to the soft snow. If it's something that the race board will stay on top of, I see no reason to use a real powder board. This of course is mainly using my anal-vocal chords, since I have absolutely no idea what kind of snow you guys had at summit.

It doesn't matter what kind of powder you're getting, wet or dry. As i said, I didn't make it out on Sunday, but characteristic of the kind of fresh snow we get here and Mammoth - it's always a lot heavier. That's because we live along the coast.

I've never been on the dry champagne type powder that falls in Colorado or Utah, so I can't compare to that, but I have been on the fresh snow in this area and Mammoth numerous times.

All i can say still is powder board, even if it is wet and heavy. As for the snow sticking to everything, all that matters is that it's not sticking to your base... A proper waxing with brushing will ensure that doesn't happen.

Also, the other thing that makes a powder board is surface area and taper. Yes, nose shape and flex is important, but I can assure you that the two tankers i've been on 07/08 182 and the 04/05 192 do not have soft noses - they're not stiff, but definitely not soft either.

Right tool for the right job. Take it from me, if you like your tib/fib, it would be wise to put away that GS stick when you're in powder or mash potatoes type of conditions. Hardboots are less forgiving of using the wrong board for the snow conditions. I'm not saying you can't make it work, but you're just asking for trouble.

I'm not much for board theory and discussions on what should and shouldn't work (I'll leave the rocker discussions and what not to all the other experts that have never ridden them :lol:) - I do things based off of on the slopes experience. Rode an 18cm waist Donek FCI 171 in 6-8" of Mammoth powder in hardboots = no good. Rode 23.5cm waist ATV with shovel nose in 12"+ of Mammoth powder in hardboots = awesome (until the leg broke that is). Rode Tanker 182 in 10"+ of Snow Summit freshies on softboots = awesomeness. My experience with the kind of snow we get here (even if it is heavy, i wouldn't know light snow since I haven't been on it) still tells me to use the powder board or a versatile AM board.