Note to New Members ×

Rainbow Six 3 online gaming

Hugh

Are there any online gamers out there? I bought "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield" two weeks ago, $19.99. This game can be played online with friends or offline by yourself.

More recuits are needed. Email me direct if you have DSL and are interested in playing during the evening...

Hugh

Yup! Online gamer here! Hi, my name is Tom, and I'm a gamer. :D

I haven't gotten into R63 at all (never played it), but I do love MotoGP2, and I am patiently awaiting my pre-order Halo 2.

BTW: I use Xbox Live, but I think you are referring to PC gaming?

Currently addicted to City of Heroes, apparently with about a billion other people.

...although Doom3 is taking a chunk out of my quality gaming time these days. Gameplay is simple and not that interesting, but they win on immersion. Still waiting for Half-Life 2, and for the first game that uses the Unreal 3 engine that doesn't suck.

I know there are a ton of games and systems out there, my kids play GameCube.

Good titles listed, I'll look into it. I am new to online gaming, so pimp your favorite games and others WILL buy and join in. So far, I only have RB 6-3 and I play with my coworker and his brother in Hawaii.

Another fun addition to gaming with friends is using a walkie-talkie program like RogerWilco, so that way you can voice chat and not have to type to the entire group (hands free).

www.rogerwilco.com

---Hugh :D

Heven't tried R6-3 yet. Mostly played Battlefield 1942 and am still hopelessly addicted to CounterStrike and am waiting for HL2 to come out. If you ever play CS I use the name $trider there as well, or sometimes [TH]$trider or -=A][A=-$trider depending on where I'm playing :D

Guest Ghostrider

Hi...I'm not really addicted to games (no its not denial..i swear). I'm addicted to making games.

What can i say? I just get my thrills (and stress) by being a programmer making games. I think the technical term for that would be "Enabler"

But the only game I play is Need For Speed: Underground. I haven't played it in a while..but that is a fun game for being just a race car game...I'm just getting over my addiction which started last year very shortly after christmas time.

Guest Ghostrider

Goat,

I'm actually a student at Western Michigan University. I've had a little bit of experience with "Broncosoft" our game programming club. But for the most part, I'm a database/algorithm/efficiency kinda guy with networking, A.I./Neural Net, assembly language and compiler experience. But if any of your clients or you are looking for a fresh outta school, well educated, hardbooter...let me know! ;)

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield

Check out Amazon.com, used copies available for less than $10 or buy a new copy for $20.

I just got the upgrade expansion pack yesterday Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword. Now I have more servers and better servers to choose from. Very soon, my friends and I will have our own server space so we can customize our own online RB 6-3 game and include or exclude other gamers.

Gotta go surf now...ocean not internet :D

Hugh

Ghost:

I just got back from Siggraph, the computer graphics conference. The games companies are hiring like mad. Electronic Arts had a big booth in the exhibit hall just to collect resumes.

Go to GDC, the Games Developer's Conference. Try to get a student pass or start working part-time for your student newspaper and get a press pass. Take your resume and your best smile. You'll land something.

Henry

Skate: what do you do for Alias?

EA is a game mill. They always have those big booths because they really burn through their employees. Their pay is somewhat substandard, which is really low considering the game industry as a whole pays less for the same skills than corperate america.

GDC is a probibly the best place to try to network into a game industry job. E3 would be a close 2nd. GDC gets a bonus for many of the presentations actually being worth attending. E3 has babes.

Even if you have a degree, game companies will value that less than demonstrated skill. Ideally, they want you to have worked on a game that shipped. Failing that, for a programmer, they'll want to see work on mods, technology demos, etc.

Personally, I'd advise most people to stay out of the game industry unless you've got a real big love for doing that work. You'll have to accept reduced pay, long hours, and high stress. Career security can be pretty good, but job security is poor: you'll be moving to where the work is.

God knows it kicked my ass.

Raven Shield is great, but I've avoided buying it for the simple reason that I played *way* to much Rouge Spear a few years ago. I need to spend time doing things that are productive :D

Originally posted by jason_watkins

Personally, I'd advise most people to stay out of the game industry unless you've got a real big love for doing that work. You'll have to accept reduced pay, long hours, and high stress. Career security can be pretty good, but job security is poor: you'll be moving to where the work is.

God knows it kicked my ass.

I don't know anybody who worked in the game industry that liked it, or would ever do it again.

You forgot the part where after a year or more of reduced pay, long hours, high stress, and overbearing/clueless art-directors/game-designers, your whole project might just get cancelled and you have absolutely nothing to show for all your work.

Skate - was there anything good in the electronic theater or the art rooms? I haven't gone since New Orleans. I saw the Wooden Mirror at the siggraph there and decided that I had just seen the coolest thing I would ever see there, so I haven't gone back :)

I heard the electronic theatre is always a hoot but I missed it this year. Apparently, one of the highlights was "Ryan", a short documentary done by Chris Landreth that was entirely CG and 100% Maya. Really bizarre style and an interesting story about an pioneering animator who now panhandles for quarters on the streets of Montreal. Fortunately, I'll get to see the whole film a private screening. See it if you get a chance.

The emerging technologies area was full of wacky stuff like the "Tickle Salon" - a fully automated tickle interface. Yes, it tickles you. I liked the HDR (High Dynamic Range) displays. Perhaps the future of video?

I never recommended the games industry as a career but if someone wants to burn a few years while they are young, it can be fun and a real crash course in high-intensity business. If you ever saw the EA-financed houses in Whistler, you would know that someone is making money in the games biz.

BTW, I'm a business development manager at Alias focused on the design side of our business. I mostly deal with automotive styling studios. They use our "other" software - Studio. It's used by a lot of sporting gear mfgs. but I haven't yet convinced anyone in the snowboard business to buy it.

I read about that wooden mirror. Way cool.

If you ever saw the EA-financed houses in Whistler, you would know that someone is making money in the games biz.
Yeah. I've read that the ceo of EA is the highest salaried person in BC. They're makin' money. The problem is, it won't be you. When I burned out on games I went elsewhere. A buddy and co-worker stayed in the industry, and ended up working on two rather successful titles (medal of honor, call of duty). What does he have to show for it? About $80k in total. How much did those games gross? Well over 100mil. If the developing company had been an equal share partnership, how much profit would he have gotten on top of the salary they paid him? Probibly around $500k, depending on the details.

To make any amount of money or have any future of advancement in the games world, you must have an ownership stake. I was in for all of 2 years and 2 projects, but even I could see that. And even then, you probibly have to self fund each title, because the deals offer to 3rd party devs by the current publishers are extremely poor. If you're not an existing player or funded from outside, you don't have a chance of doing better than work for hire at a fairly poor rate.

Originally posted by jason_watkins

I read about that wooden mirror. Way cool.

I just found this short movie:

http://fargo.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~danny/smallmirror.html

It's really clever. Lots of little squares of wood that can angle up and down slightly. One bright light source from above, so that when the wood angles up, the square gets bright, and when the wood angles down, the square gets dark. Coupled with lots of little motors, you can get a really quick refresh rate on a "monitor" where every pixel is a piece of wood.

I spent about 25 minutes in front of this thing doing pretty much what this guy in the movie is doing.