Note to New Members ×

Thinking about buying Prior ATV 168. Would love feedback!

anke

hi everyone,

funny, it's been exactly one year since my last post, looking for my first carving board. you've been very helpful, and i finally got a voelkl renntiger GS, which, shame on me, i couldn't try out yet!

well, it's the time again and i want to add another board. i know i know, i should probably ride the renntiger first, but there is this really good offer...

for the past 5 years or so i have been riding a F2 eliminator ltd 163, and have been very happy with it. i recently rented the newest 169 eliminator, and *loved* the board. i am almost 5.11" (or 179cm) and weigh about 164lbs.

i am a good snowboarder (i just claim that), but a layman in board technology.

i heard good things about prior, and judging by their website description (couldn't find any detailed online review of this model), it sounds like a great addition to my slowly growing quiver.

the question to you all:

the board was bought in march 2007, so it must be a 2006/2007 model.

- were there any major updates to it since then?

- is it a great transition board from my f2 eliminator softboot setup to my new heardboot/renntiger setup? kind of like an inbetween board?

i want to make sure i am not buying a board that is too similar to my eliminator.

oh, important, i want to ride this with softboots!

thanks a ton!!

anke

I'd say to date the Prior ATV 161 is one of my favorite boards to date. i'd like a 171, i think that would be perfect - 161 is a little bit too soft and short for scr now that i've improved (according to me).

It was my first alpine board, which i started riding on softboots, and i used it to switch over to hardboots.

It's a bit wider, at 23.5cm, but for me that's fine with my MP28.5 boots. It's also good because it makes it usable with softies too.

As for the board, i'd say it has the best of almost everything and can only think of 1 or 2 weaknesses.

Strenghts:

-extremely versatile in all conditions

-excellent edge hold even in icy conditions (beats both of the tankers i've tried 182 and 192)

-great float in powder (tanker is better though, obviously)

-friendly for transitioning from soft to hardboots

-excellent softy carving board. very capable hardboot all-mountain board

-easy to skid when necessary

-easiest board for me to land jumps in (might all be in my head, but of all the boards i've been on it has been)

-easy to ride switch/fakie in

Weaknesses:

-Slightly Shorter side cut radius (i'd like something around 10.5-11.5m)

-A bit softer in the nose (you can fold it if you push too hard on it in hardboots)

-Not made in metal (although i think you can ask for a custom metal - never been on any metal boards myself)

-i'm stupid and can't count... i think that's three or maybe 2.5

Anyway, i got a tanker 192 and an older model Madd BX 161 w/o the carbon butterfly, and with the combined money i spent on those two boards this season, i almost wish i just put the money down on an ATV 171 instead.

My stats: 5'9" and 145lbs.

Note: I've never been on a coiler, and everyone here raves about all the metal ones - Schutbie and AM. So, take this with a grain of salt. (i've been on priors, tankers, doneks, and an older madd as far as carving boards are concerned - i haven't given the madd enough of a fair chance though; took it out in some slurpy conditions)

I'd say to date the Prior ATV 161 is one of my favorite boards to date. i'd like a 171, i think that would be perfect - 161 is a little bit too soft and short for scr now that i've improved (according to me).

Strenghts:

-extremely versatile in all conditions

-excellent edge hold even in icy conditions (beats both of the tankers i've tried 182 and 192)

Bullwings you're welcome to try out my Coiler Schtubby 171 on Sunday at Bear (I'm 138 lb). I'll be swtiching between the Schtubby and my custom Donek.

I haven't ridden an ATV, but I've tried the Donek Axxess which should be comparable to the ATV. But, I would bet the farm that the Schtubby will surpass the ATV in all conditions except powder. I rode the Schtubby and Madd 158 back to back in the icy conditions we had last weekend at Summit, and the Schtubby had much better edge hold than the Madd.

Demoing the Coiler could be an expensive proposition. Because once you try one, you're going to want to buy one.

A new Schtubby is around $200 more than a new ATV. That extra $200 gets you a board customized to your weight and improved carving performance.

thank you guys, as always! very helpful. i just bought the ATV :1luvu:

for being a beginner carver and for the good cost/benefit ratio (do you say that?!) , it will suit me just fine.

the coiler metal custom or anything else in that class will have to wait until i have ascended in the pro carving league.

Bullwings you're welcome to try out my Coiler Schtubby 171 on Sunday at Bear (I'm 138 lb). I'll be swtiching between the Schtubby and my custom Donek.

I'm a pretty bad gear abuser. I've broken three of seven boards i bought in the past 3.5 years. I'd love to try it, but I'm paranoid about trying other people's gear because of that. it'll also be a hassle with bindings - i wear a 28.5 boot, so i'd have to re-adjust all of your settings. also, i'm about 60/40 on wearing hardboots on sunday. i wanna try my tanker 192 with HBs and my older madd bx with my catek FR2s and/or HBs - i might be on softies, or i might be on both and just switch middle of the day...

anke, good choice on the board. the ATV does rock. i just hope it's not too similar to the F2, which i've never been on.

Congrats on the Prior ATV! I bought my 171 last year and have had about 15 days on it since I switched to hardboots. I rode it once with softies and haven't gone back. It's been a great learning board and the wider waist allowed me to start with lower angles. Which topsheet did you get?