Note to New Members ×

Gunsmoke

Frank Morales

I don't think I've met you guys, but I'll be at June Saturday as well. I checked their trail map, and it looks like they've put terrain on Gunsmoke again, though. Too bad. That's always been my favorite June run. Nonetheless, it's tough to beat that mountain as a whole. I'll be on an f2 Silberpfeil. Hopefully I'll see you there.

It seems like they would have to move a lot of snow around the hill to build the same super jumps they have in years past. Is there even enough snow for this type of construction???

I might be coming up early Saturday morning and leaving Sunday afternoon. Hopefully I will be able to put it together and see you boys at June.

Carl promised that he wouldn't ruin Gunsmoke like that this year. It wasn't there two weeks ago. I would be pretty unhappy if it was there now.

I just checked again to be sure, and terrain is shown on the online map at least. Maybe it was planned before the season and the map originally indicated it, but it was decided against later and the map was never changed?

I just checked again to be sure, and terrain is shown on the online map at least. Maybe it was planned before the season and the map originally indicated it, but it was decided against later and the map was never changed?

I think your right. I noticed the same back in December, just after June opened. Sometimes June will build it later in the year. There are always a bunch of posts on this forum when and if it does happen :(

No jumps on Gunsmoke! Today was unreal. Everything was as good as it could get. Zero crowds, pristine hero snow, perfect weather. The stub made riding almost too easy.

Good seeing you, Terry, Frank and Gary. Also, good meeting you Cary (softbootsailor)! :)

It was good to see all of you guys at June. Kerry, you looked good on the f2 and hopefully Lorrie forgave you for dumping her of the end of bench on gunsmoke.

We made several runs with Frank and Terry, and spotted Neil once or twice. The conditions were good at June with no crowds on Saturday.

On Sunday morning we noticed that parking at Canyon was minimal, so we decided to ride Mammoth. We started on ridge of eight where the snow conditions were near perfect. We then made several runs on ridge of five. It was a little cut up but still very fun and carvable.

We then ended up at the top and rode Cornice to Main several times. Absolutely no lines and the crowds were manageable in the bowl, with the exception of the idiot standing just below the roll over (the steepest and most fun part of the run) talking on his cell phone. He was almost taken out by several people including me during his phone call---I can only imagine what the conversation sounded like on the other end. Why do we all have to be so connected all of the time??? There was a small lane of hard snow from top to bottom of the bowl that was hooking up nicely. Most of the traffic was staying out of that area because the snow was more firm and grippy, but very fun on hard boots.

It was a good trip with near perfect conditions. I look forward to seeing you guys again.

Just got back good seeing carve crew snow was perfect.

I like uncrowded conditions but hope they can stay alive with these tuff times.

They let 100 staff off last week and are only grooming a few runs these days.

I'll be back up soon.Neil stub looked like its working well for you I like the way nose engages into the turn fallowed with a nice clean arc.More snow on the way.

Heading up this weekend anybody else?

Should be good after last dump.I'll be on my Swoard and Virus.

Road with Alpingunderfoot last time up and had a great session.

Frank

Thanks Frank,

That was a blast, it was good to meet you and Terry, and good to respond to the "older" woman at the bar who was wondering who those "a-holes" were on Gunsmoke that weekend. I explained who we were, and why she wouldn't notice those trenches if she'd take a few ski lessons and learn what the edges are for. I then asked how she liked me now? Perfect end to a great weekend!

The following weekend in Tahoe was tough, bulletproof or bare, but the next was the highlight. Hung out with some the Tahoe carvers, for two days of freshies, good beer and good fun.

Say hi to Terry for me and I'll catch up with you two next January, if not at an upcoming Colorado or west coast session.

Peace!

Thanks Frank,

That was a blast, it was good to meet you and Terry, and good to respond to the "older" woman at the bar who was wondering who those "a-holes" were on Gunsmoke that weekend. I explained who we were, and why she wouldn't notice those trenches if she'd take a few ski lessons and learn what the edges are for. I then asked how she liked me now? Perfect end to a great weekend!

The following weekend in Tahoe was tough, bulletproof or bare, but the next was the highlight. Hung out with some the Tahoe carvers, for two days of freshies, good beer and good fun.

Say hi to Terry for me and I'll catch up with you two next January, if not at an upcoming Colorado or west coast session.

Peace!

I love your reply to the woman in th bar!!!:lol: