Note to New Members ×

Another topsheet question.

martyagt4

I'm eventually having a custom board built. I'll want to do a specific topsheet. As I understand there are a few different ways of going about this, from dye sub printing, to just a basic fabric.

I have a friend who does some pretty wicked custom pin striping. I'd like to have him do a design for me, paint it up, and I want to have that incorporated into the custom board.

My question is how best to go about this. Is it feasible to have something blank painted, and then applied during the build, or should I just have the design transferred over and printed out instead. Ideally I want to have the original painted example applied to the board, but if not possible....

EDIT: Is it possible to build the board without the topsheet finished, have the design painted on, then have the clear layer applied and finished?

Ideas and thoughts?

depends on who builds it........

fabrics are a donek thing it seems.....

otherwise do what everyone else does go to snowboard materials.com

IMO talk to Sean of Donek or Bruce of coiler, they are the ones that build the things so they have a better idea of your options than anyone.

I think the only custom builder doing a clear coat like this is Frank at Virus. He has a spray booth. This technique is difficult to accomplish in the states as there are regulations on the commercial use of such equipment. Not to mention the hazards for the individual doing the spraying. If you wish to duplicate hand drawn/painted artwork on the board, you can send me the hand drawn artwork and I can photograph it and then reprint it on the board. If you don't want to part with it, I believe most Kinkos have drum scanning capabilities.

Here is what my friend will paint. I suppose my only option is to order a plain white or black board, and have him do the pinstriping. Then have the body shop spray on a nice thick clear coat to protect it.

I would really like to keep the art work as the original painted version, not a copy. Perhaps the copy, printed on traditional topsheet material will be more durable than just paint then a clear coat?

post-3890-141842273425_thumb.jpg

martyagt4, I'm with you. There IS something special about a hand striped or lettered piece, specially if done by a friend! It don't matter to me what it is on, it just has more character. But as you said, with modern methods, transposing the original artwork onto a topsheet would probably be more durable.

I've seen the Chubz77 in person, and I would not hesitate to go that route, the finish IS awesome !

Here is what my friend will paint. I suppose my only option is to order a plain white or black board, and have him do the pinstriping. Then have the body shop spray on a nice thick clear coat to protect it.

I would really like to keep the art work as the original painted version, not a copy. Perhaps the copy, printed on traditional topsheet material will be more durable than just paint then a clear coat?

I have a roll of white ABS topsheet in stock. I can provide a board with this material. It is designed to take paint like this, but your friend needs to be sure to use the same type of paint he would apply to a plastic car bumper rather than what is typically used on metal auto body panels.

but your friend needs to be sure to use the same type of paint he would apply to a plastic car bumper rather than what is typically used on metal auto body panels.

x2, make sure he adds flex additive to the paint!!!!! otherwise is will crack and start to flake the first time the board in flexed