Note to New Members ×

Custom topsheet for my new Coiler...

skidad62

Last time I ever, ever use UPS. Ever. Period. :angryfire

Ive had good and bad experience with UPS. When I had my board shipped, it somehow took 2 weeks for them to get to to me, even though it was across the country within 5 days...

But on the other hand, when I had my boots shipped from fairly locally(~5 hours away), they actually got them to me the next day even though we picked the cheapest shipping option.

Fortunately I havent had to deal with any international shipping yet, but I've heard about the nightmare that is. I feel for all of you

You can broker UPS packages yourself if you live in a major center.

You must self broker at the port of entry. This works fine if you're using air shipment and live in the city where it lands but when you use ground shipment you must go to the port of entry to self broker.

You must self broker at the port of entry. This works fine if you're using air shipment and live in the city where it lands but when you use ground shipment you must go to the port of entry to self broker.

Isn't there a port of entry in every major city? Or is this the one time that living in Weenypeg, MB has an advantage?

I try to get things shipped USPS if possible as it's still a hassle. But it's always an option if the seller will only ship UPS.

Isn't there a port of entry in every major city? Or is this the one time that living in Weenypeg, MB has an advantage?

If the goods are arriving from the USA into Canada by ground transport, the port of entry is Canada Customs office at (or closest to) that city/town where the vehicle enters Canada.

Did you receive some ground transport goods from the USA recently? I'm curious if UPS used air from point of origin to Weinerpeg but only charged you ground. That'd be a bonus but just can't imagine UPS doing that.

If it arrives in Canada by air, it's a whole new story. Port of entry is where the aircraft lands.

I've received about 20-30 packages via UPS ground over the past 8 or so years, I've been able to broker every one here in the city. We're about 100 km/60 miles North of the land border crossing. Call 1-800-PICK-UPS and ask them for the details about brokering in your city.

UPS air waives brokerage fees altogether. You do still have to pay taxes/duty though, same as when brokering stuff yourself. It can be cheaper for high-value small shipments than paying the brokerage!

EDIT: I should add that the land crossing straight South of us is a 24 hour port with a TON of commercial traffic through it, it's pretty big.

Interesting that your ground shipments come directly into Whinerpeg for clearing. Maybe due to how close you are to the border and the likelyhood that the airport has a large Canada Customs office.

For Toronto, ground shipments are cleared in Windsor or Fort Erie, depending upon where they cross into Canada. If we're receiving goods from the USA for our company, we ship to our drop box in Niagara Falls, NY then self broker at Queenston/Lewiston.

Anyhow, these posts are so off topic now I can't remember what the original post was about!

Interesting. Either way, UPS sucks. :)

Anyhow, these posts are so off topic now I can't remember what the original post was about!

LOL! When I finally order a Coiler, I'll certainly order a custom topsheet and let Bruce worry about shipping.

UPS air waives brokerage fees altogether. You do still have to pay taxes/duty though, same as when brokering stuff yourself. It can be cheaper for high-value small shipments than paying the brokerage!

Ya know, this might be true going from Canada to the US as well. I've gotten tagged for brokerage fees whenever I've received UPS ground packages from Canada but never when they're sent 2nd day air. On a board shipped from Ontario to Oregon it works out to paying about the same amount other way... methinks I'll request 2nd day air next time, pay about the same total, and get my new toy faster!

Sean,

That's very cool of you to offer this. Can you tell us about any difference in the material you use vs what is used at snowboardmaterials. My Donek topsheets look like they are printed on a type of fabric so I'm wondering how a high gloss image would look.

And what would your cost be?

I have pbt (the material that snowboard materials sells) in stock. It hasn't been a standard for us until we started doing metals. It will look the same as any of the topsheets Bruce has been using.