Note to New Members ×

cycling gear

canuckcarver

anyone here do long distance cycling ? im looking for a something to attach to my seat post or rear forks for a bottle of hammer gel, or parts (i.e. tire/tools rain jacket) any sugestions? or how to mount things to keep it light?? i was looking a route im training for , looks like lots of open space and few rest areas

I'm not partial to carrying crap on my bike, but I don't spend a lot of time doing long distance stuff. Sometimes an under saddle bag is just the ticket

This oughtta hold everything except the rain jacket. Lucky your roadie tires and tubes are so small. Carrying folding 29er tires sucks! Edit: Oops sentence flow got ruined.. The rain jacket,

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Wrap it around the top tube and tie it on?:confused:

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=123893

canuck, in addition to what KC said. These are things that I carry also: duct tape (wrap some around your seatpost). Tyvek pieces to patch cuts in tires with. If you aren't familiar with Tyvek, it looks like paper but doesn't tear, it's waterproof. The USPS uses this stuff on some of there overnight mailers. Tie wraps, you can fix alot of crap with tie wraps. One other thing that might come in handy is a large trash bag. Cut out arm and neck holes and you have a quick rain jacket.

These items don't take up much room in the saddle bag and can make a miserable ride survivable.

OVR, what's the ductape for? Same purpose as the Tyvek? Never torn a tire (knock on wood) but I always thought that dollar bills or mylar candy bar wrappers worked well.

Pretty much the only thing my tubeless tires shouldn't seal too well are tears..Little bit nervous when I get going fast and get too much lateral force going. That sealant isn't saving my ass when the bead isn't seated. Good stuff though, my bike has been sitting since November (shoulder injury wasn't conducive to long distances, but the drop bars kinda helped, damn I love monstercross bikes) and the tires are still fully inflated.

anyone here do long distance cycling ? im looking for a something to attach to my seat post or rear forks for a bottle of hammer gel, or parts (i.e. tire/tools rain jacket) any sugestions? or how to mount things to keep it light?? i was looking a route im training for , looks like lots of open space and few rest areas

An underseat bag will be fine for a snack, a spare tube, tire levers and patch kit (don't forget a credit card and $5 or $10 in emergency cash too), but you won't be able to get a jacket in there.

I have a crappy Tyvek jacket (freebie from a ride, just a single layer of Tyvek with no lining) that's actually small enough to stuff into a jersey pocket. It's a tight fit, but it's workable. Knee warmers and arm warmers can be good in some weather conditions - they're not waterproof, but they do add significant warmth, and you can stash them in jersey pockets, or (for arm warmers) just push them down to your wrists when you get warmed up.

It's hard to carry much though, so for me long distance biking (unless you're cycle touring) is pretty Spartan. It's a trip how far from home you can get on just a couple of granola bars and two bottles of water.

it was brutal... you'd have to go early morning and be off the bike no later than 9am.

For long-distance - you can always go euro and cut the top off an old waterbottle (or bidon, if i'm going euro) and stuff all your crap in that if you need more space than a typical saddle bag offers. If you have no shame, or, are a triathelete by choice, you could always get one of those seatpost mounted waterbottle carriers and carry two bidons of equipment. I usually have room for two levers, keys, blackberry, tube and CO2 in my saddlebag. Have been known to stick bits of powerbar to my stem for longer rides - but usually call the wife and get her to come bring me food and new bottles. You should try one of those too.

And for the tire repair - powerbar wrapper - the shiny metallic plastic stuff - great for sidewall tears (at least getting home - i wouldnt use it as a permanent fix). My experience with tyvek is usually for big environmental disaster cleanups, havent used it on my bike yet....

You might want to look at some of the Lowepro products, they have a bunch of camera bags for point and shoots that are reasonably priced, roomy, well built and usually have belt loops or something of the sort that you could hang from your seat. Any of the Henry's stores usually stock a fair assortment.

it was brutal... you'd have to go early morning and be off the bike no later than 9am.

For long-distance - you can always go euro and cut the top off an old waterbottle (or bidon, if i'm going euro) and stuff all your crap in that if you need more space than a typical saddle bag offers. If you have no shame, or, are a triathelete by choice, you could always get one of those seatpost mounted waterbottle carriers and carry two bidons of equipment. I usually have room for two levers, keys, blackberry, tube and CO2 in my saddlebag. Have been known to stick bits of powerbar to my stem for longer rides - but usually call the wife and get her to come bring me food and new bottles. You should try one of those too.

And for the tire repair - powerbar wrapper - the shiny metallic plastic stuff - great for sidewall tears (at least getting home - i wouldnt use it as a permanent fix). My experience with tyvek is usually for big environmental disaster cleanups, havent used it on my bike yet....

right now i got two bottles on the frame and i would ideally like to carry a CO2 bottle , tire, tools, i use a phone as an ipod , i think ill just buy a rain coat , and food. i wanted to carry a bottle of the gel stuff and mix as i need with the water and power bars they seemed to work well for me last year. those saddle bags i think will work. sounds like they hold quiet a bit

thanks for the replys

No mention of a small Camelback? Extra water, enough room for all of the stuff you mentioned and its easy to carry. I know, traditionalists scoff at the thought of using one on the road, but if Im unsupported in the middle of no where i dont give a crap what anybody else thinks. Im not talking about Mule here, or a day pack.

Camelbak has a new model called the racebak that is a coolmax tank with a hump like pouch. Doesn't really fit the need of this thread, but it is a new minimalist solution for more liquid. There are a fair number of options and a few from MEC as well. I have a MEC that holds 3L and enough room for a couple of MTB tubes, levers, pump, patch kit and snacks. It is only 7"wx3"dx15"hand it sits quite nicely even when loaded. But I can't say I have ever riden 100 or 200 with it.

Canuck, quick question, will these centuries be an organized ride with many others trying for the triple digit?? are you doing metric century or the longer US century distance??

The reason I ask if it is organized is that most organized century rides have SAG vans that follow the riders around with spare parts, water, food and many other things that you might need while out on the ride. If it is organized not much reason to carry alot of stuff. Besides the SAG vans patrolling the route the organizers will provide food stops along the way, usually every 15-20 miles with lots of things to eat.

If you are pounding the distance out solo than you will need to be self sufficient. I usually find when I am out riding and you need some water,most houses or small stores are more than willing to give you some water. You can also find a church with a spicket and get some water there. You can also use fast food locations, that way you can put a splash of coke in the bottle to give you a sugar boost. I fill up with the ice too.

Canuck, quick question, will these centuries be an organized ride with many others trying for the triple digit?? are you doing metric century or the longer US century distance??

The reason I ask if it is organized is that most organized century rides have SAG vans that follow the riders around with spare parts, water, food and many other things that you might need while out on the ride. If it is organized not much reason to carry alot of stuff. Besides the SAG vans patrolling the route the organizers will provide food stops along the way, usually every 15-20 miles with lots of things to eat.

If you are pounding the distance out solo than you will need to be self sufficient. I usually find when I am out riding and you need some water,most houses or small stores are more than willing to give you some water. You can also find a church with a spicket and get some water there. You can also use fast food locations, that way you can put a splash of coke in the bottle to give you a sugar boost. I fill up with the ice too.

im going by US mesurement and im going solo, ive got an idea on route, i know of a few places i can stop, gas stations and convience stores , never even concidered churches. i just want to have the most that i can to be self sufficient. with out being to heavy. camelbacks i really dont like the idea of carrying any extra weight on my back. your stuck in so few postions anything starts to bother you over a few hours or so.

canuckcarver, Try borrowing a friends Camelback to 'try' it. I felt the same way you do BEFORE trying one. Now seldom ride without it, even when I was training ( and yes it drives the Traditionalists crazy :eek:) You may be surprised how un-noticable it is, and it certainly is nice to feel assured that you have whatever you need.

If I had enough room under my jacket, I'd be using one while riding.