Note to New Members ×

Why do you want to ride blacks?

SWriverstone

Okay, I keed, I keed...I'm not really "2 feet" from the trees...but I'm definitely (safely) using the entire width of the slope.

Jinking back and forth within a relatively narrow space just doesn't do it for me. Too slow. :)

And BTW, have you ever noticed that those EC guys on the Swoard boards are often video'd on slopes that are about a mile wide? How else do you think they can basically drag one armpit for a full 5 minutes before transitioning into the next turn? LOL

Scott

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And BTW, have you ever noticed that those EC guys on the Swoard boards are often video'd on slopes that are about a mile wide? How else do you think they can basically drag one armpit for a full 5 minutes before transitioning into the next turn? LOL

Scott

have you ever noticed the snowfields that that they are riding????what I would give for that kind of terrain every once in a while (not that I don't like winding NE trails I'm just saying)

have you ever noticed the snowfields that that they are riding????what I would give for that kind of terrain every once in a while (not that I don't like winding NE trails I'm just saying)

Most of pictures are taken from those two wide famous slopes :ices_ange but they ride also those more narrow slopes there, like in picture top of this page, that one is decent deep and quite narrowish one. Here is picture of wider and less steeper top portion of that slope from above;

DSC00946.JPG

Okay, I keed, I keed...I'm not really "2 feet" from the trees...but I'm definitely (safely) using the entire width of the slope.

Jinking back and forth within a relatively narrow space just doesn't do it for me. Too slow. :)

Scott

Come to Mammoth. There is a trail called Broadway. The name isn't a joke.

How else do you think they can basically drag one armpit for a full 5 minutes before transitioning into the next turn? LOL

Scott

That has to do with the long side cuts of the Swoards. They are quite flexy (more like the new metal Coilers) so on narrower blacks you just have to push harder to shorten the radius (and not end up in the trees), but then you don't get to leisurely drag for 5min.

Unfortunately i did not get full width on this picture. But luckily it is steeper than it looks in picture :1luvu: No wonder i've been traveling there every winter atleast once per winter after i started carve, except those two winters i spend in NM. If someone gets idea to join, correct time will be week 10, more info at flegmatic site.

Yes, luckily cause that stops some folks to jam slope.

In Zinal the other famous slopes is accessible only with plate lift, which is great due that keeps slope more empty :ices_ange

Pokkis, I solemnly swear that before I die I WILL carve Oppdal! Hell, I'd tie a rope to my BALLS and be dragged back to the top of that slope! :1luvu:

BTW, what the heck is a "plate lift?"

Scott

PS - Screw the narrow, tree-lined junk...that photo above just makes me weep. crying_smiley.jpg (And that sure is NOT a black slope!)

eh child's play, not really what I was talking about, think more like perfectly groomed Scotty's or Paranoid Flats

Kinda more directed at his taste for wide blues. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember Broadway being "blue steep". Wasn't very fun on that quick turnin' Burt'n..

Rode Paranoid Flats on my 3rd day on HBs. Jesus christ.

SW- Testiskilifts don't sound worth that run.

I think a plate lift is another word for a platter lift. A disc on a rod, attached to the lift in the same manner a j-bar is. You "sit" on the platter, and it drags you up. Wouldn't want to try on a snowboards..

Pokkis, I solemnly swear that before I die I WILL carve Oppdal! Hell, I'd tie a rope to my BALLS and be dragged back to the top of that slope! :1luvu:

BTW, what the heck is a "plate lift?"

If you have not checked, as i assume :rolleyes:, go to flegmatic-site and look those films there, there is plenty of films from Oppdal, as well as also from Zinal. They give quite good idea what we must suffer here :eplus2:

Plate lift, damn, hard to explain, they are used here mainly as kid lifts, there is like plate you but between your legs to to be dragged up hill. Anyway better than rope around your balls, not much better but slightly :D

Guest shrederjen

Black runs take your breath away........

Thats why I like to ride blacks.

I thought about it, yesterday, while ripping runs at Steamboat.

Some of the groomed blacks, still had cord showing at 1pm in the afternoon!!

okay, well, there may have been a cord across the entrance to the run that said, no beginner terrain!! That was my favorite run of the day. Did it 3 times.

Kinda more directed at his taste for wide blues. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember Broadway being "blue steep". Wasn't very fun on that quick turnin' Burt'n..

Rode Paranoid Flats on my 3rd day on HBs. Jesus christ.

I was referring to the the EC/Swoard stuff, wide and STEEP, A nice thing about some places outside the United States is that they actually groom the uber steep stuff so that it can be carved if you have the skills, Scotty's and P-Flats have the pitch though not the grooming of a good EC hill.

I never liked Broadway or the Wall above it because they attracted the wannabe mogul gods who did little other than chop up the hill and yardsale. The Chutes of Chair 23, the Face of 5 and Dry Creek were the trails I had the most fun on

I have to partially eat my words here...I think I'd really love steep blacks that are immaculately groomed and not torn to shreds.

At our local resorts, the blacks are typically torn all to hell, bumpy as hell, interspersed with piles of soft fake snow (from blowers), etc...which (for me) makes them a nightmare of knee-hammering, jaw-clenching, and quad-killing PAIN!

But a nice smooooth black? Sure, I'd love to try one!

Scott

Book ticket, fly to OOC and my NSR, Schtubby and Tinklers are there ready for your test ride :ices_ange

I bet that you will get used and loved to steep stuff, there is also more steeper and challenging stuff as in picture :biggthump But pack also your pow stuff cause that place is paradise for pow riding too.