Note to New Members ×

June Mountain 1/18/09

Loc

Looks like I will likely be up there for MLK weekend. The plan is to drive up Saturday and spend the night at a motel. Sunday will be a full day of riding and then drive home afterwards. Anyone else got plans? I'd love to meet other carvers and have my technique ripped apart :D

Hopefully the crowds will be over at Mammoth because June Sux :eplus2:

I still need to work out the details with my buddies. I could also leave OC at 5am and arrive in time for some afternoon riding. I've left at 2am before but I don't ever want to do that again lol :smashfrea

I know June's got a reputation for small crowds, but how is it during MLK?

I've ridden June on many hollidays and have always come away smiling:D. Two years ago I was up during Presidnet's and at Canyon the lines for 16 and 8 were woven into one BIG mass. People were everwhere.

An hour later I was at June with a completley full parking lot. Once on the hill there was plenty of room to ride and the lines were never more than a couple of minutes. MLK should be no problem this year.

I've booked a room for Bishop on Saturday already and will board on Sunday. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm spend the first part of the day teaching a 'lady friend' how to snowboard for her very first time. This should be an interesting experiment - I won't teach her how to skid and start off with braking and proceed to 'the norm'. If she starts railing and laying them out on her first day... *shakes fist*

Hopefully by lunch time she'll feel comfortable enough to leaf and I can spend the afternoon practicing on J4. I really love the runs on that side :eplus2:

I plan on leaving for Mammoth on thursday night, return late Monday afternoon. Should have nearly four solid days on the slopes. I doubt if I'll make it out to June though. Should still be riding my black Prior 4WD, unless my Silberpfeil arrives early and I can get it decked out in time.

i will be there saturday and sunday, who is going to be there for sure and will you be at mammoth or at june or which day at which mountain?

i always like to meet new carvers and i have never been at june so i wouldn't mind doing one day at each mountain or even two days at june if the conditions are good, let me know your plans

Carvingchef-

I'll be riding at June on Sunday but I'm spending morning until lunch going over basics with my friend. I’ll get her doing the Norm or at least leafing ASAP so I can get on the J4 chair runs and make some turns.

Mammoth is sure to be crowded this weekend. I think you'll like the open runs at June more :)

It looks like I'm out. Nobody in my fam wants to go up so I will most likely spend the weekend in the southland :(. I'm anxious to see how June is holding up so please post conditions.

That's too bad, but I'll post conditions...with video :eplus2: It's suppose to be snowing next week to so cross your fingers.

Just got back from June, what a long ride after a long day. Spent 6 hours teaching but I let it rip from 2:00 until 4 :eplus2:

The snow was great for carving on J4. By the time I got there at 2 it was still groomed! I left a lot of trenches that I could see from the lift. Makes this newbie grin all the way up :eplus2:

I didn't do any blacks but my friend said Deer Bowl and Schaztl was also perfect. I did one run on Chaparral where the terrain park is but it was kinda icy and crowded with jibbers. I went back to the J4 side for a few more runs before calling it a day.

No lift lines, no crowds. June is becoming my resort of choice.

I didn't do any blacks but my friend said Deer Bowl and Schaztl was also perfect. I did one run on Chaparral where the terrain park is but it was kinda icy and crowded with jibbers. I went back to the J4 side for a few more runs before calling it a day.

Deer Bowl is my favorite run at June. Here's some video of Deer Bowl when we had the SNES a few years ago.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7BAzlu4hUc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7BAzlu4hUc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>