Note to New Members ×

Adventures in Metal, no not that kind

Gecko

well.....three and a half months after I broke my ankle I'm carving snow....slowly. I was very tentative stepping in at the top of the hill, kind of a PITA because things weren't lining up right for me. I wasn't sure what the problem was but it took me longer than it should have to get clipped in. Finally I heard the click and it was time to slide, body felt good as I was leaning into my first turn but my ankle felt weird, not pain just not right especially on heelside turns but otherwise everything more or less flowed on my first run. 2 more runs and the PITA of clipping in is still not going away (I have intecs) I figure something has to change so I unclip at the bottom and walk over to a picnic bench to putter. 5 minutes later my rear binding is at 54* from 51* and I can step in. Also the feeling of not right on my heelsides is gone...go figure my new ankle likes steeper angles than my old ankle. So music on I proceed to turn some laps on little Yawgoo until the cold makes my ankle ache....not pain just the ache I have come to recognize telling me that it's too f$%king cold. I duck inside and warm my plate and screws byt the fire for 5 minutes and then him the hill for another hour before I get that ache again. Hummm this seems to be a trend an hour of riding 5-10 minute of break time by the fire, still no pain just a bone numbing ache which continued to crop up every hour for my whole 4 hour session. Not really a problem because I still don't have any endurance for long sessions but hell any carving is good carving when I didn't think I was gonna be able to this season. So who else has hardware that is temperature sensitive???? what do you do to control it?

Unfortunately, I recognize this. Two (old past torned) Achilles tendons and two former busted knees. I always keep them very warm with (wool)underwear. And have a little bottle of brandy in the jacket (after ski). So no probs to get along the day.

Hey Gecko, glad to hear your back on it.

You should look into HOTRONICS boot heaters. Mrs. b0ardski uses the Atomic version & has the element removed from the original footbed and installed in custom cork beds. I'm sure they could be incorperated into the side or tongue of your liners.

Toasty warm all day with custom fit.

Tib-fib break. I have an intermedulary rod and a couple screws in my left tibia. I just wear some medium thickness smartwool socks and a mcdavid level one knee wrap around my shin/calf. I also take about 2 motrin or advil before hitting up the slopes.

it works for me.

I should have taken Motrin 800 before, I certainly took it afterwards,

Andrew I may return to thursday nights, I just need to figure out how long it's gonna take me to recover :rolleyes:

and I am a ways from having the legs for a real mountain

2 plates, nine screws in right ankle. And, Yes, it's normally running cold during the winter. Usually hurts, mostly I say f#$k it and ride. I still run 4 miles 3x week in my vasque sundowners and figure it's the price to pay for livin' life.. Someday, I'll just get the thing sawed off and replaced with a mechanical foot, intec/toe-clip/crampon compatible!

Keeping the surrounding ligaments strong helps somewhat. Bosu ball one legged squats, heel raises, balance on ball, etc...