Note to New Members ×

UPZ liners - Plastic tounge

rhaskins

Has anyone ever removed it? I got a lot of pain today caused by one side of the plastic tounge. The liner tounge was centered. I have had a certain amount of pain caused by these liners on my left-side of my left shin since I started to use them this year, but today I had to switch to soft boots because of the pain. I love the way the liners hold my foot in the heel and ankle area, my Deeluxe 325's do not do as good a job. I just hate the plastic tounge digging into my shin.

The plastic tounge is stitched in, I can see how it can be separated (probably). Just seeing if anyone has done that with any success.

OTOH, I am looking into the cost of Dalbello Gold liners. I just worry about heel lift.

Rick

Took my shins out for a carving session this morning in soft boots and the pain was intense. Had to quit after 3 runs and pop 4 advil. The pain runs along where the edge of the plastic on the UPZ liners hits my shin. Seems that a certain amount of pain was always there, but my angles on 1 board, 55 and 52 degrees did not cause intense pain, just a constant low pain. When I switched to my Donek FC1, 65 and 62 degrees, the edge just bored into my shin.

BUT, startinggate has a set of DalBello Gold liners in stock and they are now on the FedEx truck starting their journey to Minnesota.

Two question remain:

1. Why do they sell those crap liners? not only do they hurt, they are COLD.

2. What is the correct way to dispose of those toxic liners? Burn? Acid? Axe? Burial? If I had a Smith wrench, I would do them in right now.

Rick

Which Model of the UPZ do you wear? Which year?

Which bindings and which board?

I can imagine that it is not only the liners but the combination of the extremely side stiff boot with low angles on a suboptimal binding setup. If you give me more details on your setup and the pain, I probably can help you. I had similar problems last year resulting in a broken Fibula.

Which Model of the UPZ do you wear? Which year?

Which bindings and which board?

I can imagine that it is not only the liners but the combination of the extremely side stiff boot with low angles on a suboptimal binding setup. If you give me more details on your setup and the pain, I probably can help you. I had similar problems last year resulting in a broken Fibula.

Here is what I think the issues are.

First, I use the board on a Donek Axxiss, regular foot, 55, 52.5. With this board, there was a little pain in my left-leg, left side of the shin. I started to use these boots this year with step-ins. I switched from this board to my Donek FC1 171 last Wednesday for a day. The binding angles on this board are 65, 62.5. Both board have Catek OS2 step-in bindings.

I used the FC 171 for 1 day, about 3 hours, and then tried to use it the next day. I had extreme pain in my left-leg, left shin. The pain runs along the edge of the liner where the plastic is. I switched to softboots after that, but my shin was still sore until the 4 advil kicked in. On Friday, the next day, I had shin pain in softboots where they touched my shin. 4 more advil fixed that.

Below are a series of pictures. The first picture is the UPZ Flo liner next to a Salomon ski boot liner. You will notice that the UPZ liner and the Salomon liner look similar. The next picture show the same two liners. Both are very similar. The third picture is of the tounge on the UPZ Flo liner, showing the edge of the plastic.

Upon examining the Flo liner, it is more like a ski boot liner than anything else. If you look at Conformables, Thermoflex, Intuition or Dalbello Gold liners, they don't have that seam running up the sides of the leg with plastic. With a ski boot, you are always pressuring the liner and boot forward, not sideways, at least I don't, I initiate turns by either lifting weight off one ski or stepping down on a ski, not side pressure. On a snowboard, I initiate turns with my shins and ankles and toes to the heel side and to toe side. This is where the pain from the liner comes in.

Upon reflection, I did have pain in my shin at a low level by the liners on my Axxess. I could only go about 2 hours before I had to get out of the boots. If I kept pushing to 3 hours, my left leg shin was sore, but not debilitating. BTW, my right shin/leg had no pain.

I also have never had shin pain with my Deeluxe 325's with the Thermoflex liners. These are a wrap liner instead of a tounge liner like the Flo.

My result with the Flo liner may not be the same for all people, but I have read enough posts on Bomber to realize that many people do have a problem with these liners. It may be that the shape/size of a shin will be a bad fit, specific to certain individuals. I have the Dalbello Gold liner on order which are wrap liners also. I don't think there is anything to fix with the Flo liner with me.

Also, the Flo liner has very little material in the toe are, where my toes freeze. I will be happier with a liner that has some insulation there.

Rick

post-7095-14184226852_thumb.jpg

post-7095-141842268522_thumb.jpg

post-7095-141842268524_thumb.jpg

Did you notice that the tongue is attached to the boot with velcro? It allows you to move the tongue to find the most comfortable position. There may, however, not be a comfortable position for you...... Just something to try.

Yeah, I saw that. The left side of my shin is brused by it the toung, so there really is no good place to move it to. If the liner did not have a plastic edge, it would probably be ok. I am opting for the wrap type liner. I got them on order and they should be here by Wed. I have had a set of footbeds made yesterday at Hoigaards, and an appointment to have the liners fitted on Thrus. I'm gonna take my shins out to Buck on Thurs for a test session.

Rick

Rick, I'm guessing you have had some bad chatter experiences. The best cure for shin bang is not to let the board chatter. Chatter is part of the learning curve and most of us have experienced it. With time and experience your riding will automatically adjust if the board starts to chatter. In the mean time you will need to avoid chatter at any cost if you want your shins to heal, even if it means bailing on a turn and not trying to ride it out.

I had a bad bout of it in my first season. No amount of messing with boots will allow you to endure chattered turn after chattered turn, although a little extra cushioning will help while it heals.

BobD

Bob, actually I don't get chatter at all. On the contrary, my carves are getting better all the time. It is just that the boot liner presses directly againt my left foot, left side of the shin when I push into a heel side carve (which is getting better all the time thanks to you, Bobble and Karl).

This started to happen with these boots, new this year. I think my new liners will make the problem evaporate.

Rick