Note to New Members ×

Suggestions for binding angles-Virus Phantom

powdahbonz

I've been playing with my binding angles on my TD2's on 182 Virus Phantom. First off, definitely was surprised at the burly factor on the Phantom and have found that she really wants to run fast and hard. Super different than the factory primes I've been riding. I started with 60/60 front and back and my rear is on a 6 degree cant. I've using the 7 degree burton cants on my other set ups so no real difference there. When I rode the 60/60, I felt awk-weird and could not get a good feeling on my heel or toe sides. Backed it down to 55/55 and it felt better, had a few runs that felt like they were coming together but not quite right.

Anyone with Virus experience have suggestions for angles, perhaps the differences between stiffness, weight and type of board make the angle set-ups different?? My Burtons have been more like 55+ up for front and 60 back. Thanks for the input.

First off - I am not aware of any reason why angles would be different on a virus vs any other board with similar dimensions...If there is a reason for that someone please correct me...

Have you ever ridden with splay in your binding angles? Feet parallel can be a bit uncomfortable for some people...Try going 3-5 degrees higher on your front binding vs your back binding, then I would just set them up per jack's article - minimum angle that eliminates toe/heel overhang.

I've heard from many that virus boards can be super stiff and require full on aggressive riding to get them to perform (HOPEFULLY I'LL KNOW SHORTLY..ahem). IF you feel this is the case w/ your board, relaxed angles will provide more leverage during turn initiation vs. high angles. By coming down on your angles you could recruit more of your body mass to initiate the turn, thus overcoming the board's stiffness.

Maybe drop down and then slowly work back up?

Thor? Come in, Thor..

I have ridden / own a few Virus boards. Nothing special regarding the binding angles. Try to set you rear binding as low as possibe (avoid boot out) and then your front binding 4-6 degrees higher. If your biomechanics are not significantly different from the average, it should be ok. Kindest

The stiff factor is there and I felt more comfortable with less aggressive stance-I just figured there was some difference in ridden angles b/c of the board's stiffness and that some bomber folks had experienced a need to tinker and play w/ set-ups b/c the board's characteristics. I assume that the more I boot angles outward, things will certainly ease but I've seen most Virus decks set-up, whether euro or u.s., w/ steep, aggressive, high degree angles. I have moved stances around on my burtons( comparing bananas to kumquats I know) but have felt less significant board handling changes but again riding burton plates so lot more flex and play.

No doubt that it is an aggressive, speedy ride that requires body drive. I'm not tiny at 5'11" and 195lbs so I figure once I can get my feet feeling right than I can arc and carve properly and not feel so whacky.

Istvan is right. Start with the "average". Depending on your boot size, you will end up somewhere around 60° on the rear binding. Then place the front binding somewhat steeper. You will end up somwhere between 65 and 70°. This really doesn't make a big difference.

But there is one thing that can make a difference! Do you take the phantom for racing or carving?

For carving I would throw out the cants. Maximum 3°/3° for a little more comfort when riding flat. The less canting you have, the more you leverage the bending of the board in the carve. You won't recognise the less comfort during the ride.

Ray: Can you help this guy? Ray has been on the Virus for some time now. My 2 cents. I ride at 65 deg both feet. I come from skiing and find it to be the best angle for Alpine. Jacks articles are real good. Alpine is skiing for the most part, down up down, set the edge and release and rotate set the edge. Ankles and knees with a still upper body with shoulders 90 deg to your board. Do not trail you back foot arm. No surfing here. Give it a try.

All has been said. Nothing special in regards to setting up bindings on a Virus Phantom vs. any other board. Binding angles are most of the time determined by the width of the board, unless someone prefers steeper angles as required in order to avoid any overhang. “In my opinion and for my needs”, it’s best to have the front toe and the rear heel as close to the edge as possible, again without “any” overhang. But binding angels in combination with cant, lift and stance are so very much a personal thing and everyone must find their own best setup. Took me a long time, but I personally have not changed my settings for the last 4 years now. Finally!

In regards to my settings. My board, a Virus Cyborg Evolution with Cateks OS2 regular (No fan of step-ins)

Front: 75 degree angle; 4 degree lift; 2 degree outward/negative cant

Rear: 72 degree angle; 5 degree lift; 1.5 degree outward/negative cant

Stance: 50cm

Not quite the norm, but it works for me, all what counts ;)

Angles do not have anything to do with your problem. I ride all my Viruses except of Black Death 55/50. Phantom is a big board and it early in the season. Maybe you are not just in a condition to ride it. I am ridding softer Viruses for now and I have a blast. It was great today at Kirkwood.:eplus2:

Thanks for the feedback-I'll try tweaking my front foot more-Boot size shell 27.5 so not worried about boot out and yes it is early in the season but need to get laps in on something you're not used to so I'll have to keep tweaking and possibly adjust my stance distance. 1st day conditions ridden were tough since there was a lot of slop around w/ 6"+ of fresh snow, 2nd day was right after we got the 20"+ around here in Maine but well groomed. I think I'll have to play w/ settings, run the blue and green cruisers for a while before running the blacks.