Note to New Members ×

Anatomy question

photodad2001

Ever since I can remember I've had this large knot like muscle on the lateral side of my feet. I think it has developed from carving heelside with softboots. It's as hard as bone and could pass itself off as a second ankle bone only further down. Just wanted to know if anyone else on here has a similar "condition". If I'm correct I believe the muscle is the Abductor digiti minimi. Believe it or not it used to be much larger when I was riding more than 1-2 times a week. (Sorry, it's winter so the pics show my pasty white feet) The first pic shows my foot relaxed, and the second shows when I flex.

post-6711-14184226733_thumb.jpg

post-6711-141842267333_thumb.jpg

Cracking open the Advanced Biology book underneath my mattress (honestly, I needed it so badly, how the heck did it get under there? Female anatomy pages late at night?) that looks like Extensor Digitorium Brevis muscle. Look at your big toe, it is extended, not the opposite. The muscle you mention is for your little toe, and unless you have been doing squats on one toe, I doubt it's that. Interesting though..

Considered getting a biopsy?

Cracking open the Advanced Biology book underneath my mattress (honestly, I needed it so badly, how the heck did it get under there? Female anatomy pages late at night?) that looks like Extensor Digitorium Brevis muscle. The muscle you mention is for your little toe, and unless you have been doing squats on one toe, I doubt it's that. Also, the muscle you mentioned is closer to your little toe. Interesting though..

Considered getting a biopsy?

Good call on the name of the muscle, it is the Extensor Digitorium Brevis. However, that muscle is used to lift/raise 4 of your toes excluding the pinkie (or 5th digit), not just the big toe. It would then make sense that while carving heelside that that muscle is being flexed. So anybody got an Extensor Digitorium Brevis as big as mine?

Edit: (not my real foot in the photo) And, the muscle I named is the one that moves your little toe, hence the name. And, an advaced biology book is much more expencive than a nudy magazine!

post-6711-141842267335_thumb.jpg

I've got those bumps too and when I used to run track the trainers would freak out every time they saw me for the first time, thinking i had something wrong, then id show them the other foot and they'd be like oh well as long as both feet have them i guess. I've never seen anyone else with them, glad I'm not alone. Never bothered me except when i wear hard boots.

Mine is definitely not a spur, I've had it for at least 10 years and have had my share of athletic trainers poking at it, its really just a muscle. I have also only had hard boots for about 3 years, but you are right I really do need to get some custom liners, but with a combined riding of about 2 weeks a year I've been dragging my feet

Doesn't look like a muscle now that I'm awake.

I'll have to put a video on of it flexing. Even when it's relaxed it's visable. I definately think it's over developed. Just wanted to know if anyone else has it too. Maybe it's not from snowboarding at all, but I can't see any other activity I do putting that sort of strain on that particular muscle.

you guys kill me:lol:

Its a bone covered by a muscle the muscle is hypertrophied due to lots of use on heelsides. ITs no big deal. It means you are big and strong:eplus2:

It could also mean you are old and fat and the little muscles in your feet have to work harder:lol:

Specifically its the cuboid. you can feel it just above the muscle bump when relaxed and then it rotates outward when you flex pushing the muscle out as well.

Hey Photodad.

I posted in that other thread without you seeing it.

I have hard boot pics I would like to email to you.

Sweet low mileage megaflexes.

If you pay shipping I will send them out for you to try.

You don't have email enabled at all even for PMs so not to thread jack this enlightening anatomy lesson.

If not interested then let me know.

How do you carry on internet fights without enabling your email?

:smashfrea:smashfrea

Back in the 90's all the instructors (well 80%, usually the best skiers and PSIA had to decree not everyone could use them so some of the demo team did any way and painted their boots to look like the competition) were using the dayglow TCR Technicas. This was the race boot but in a softer flex with even more foot bed and cant adjustment. They litterally did glow in the dark or at least in the fog and or a severe snowstorm.

Your muscle development is typical of the mid range instructors who were fascinated by the switch inside the boot above the big toe used to turn the "Glow" on and off. Most of us just left them on. But then the whole ski school can see how good your technique is or is not all the time. Hence the junior instructors turning them on and off all day long.

:biggthump:eplus2::eek:

Hey Photodad.

I posted in that other thread without you seeing it.

I have hard boot pics I would like to email to you.

Sweet low mileage megaflexes.

If you pay shipping I will send them out for you to try.

You don't have email enabled at all even for PMs so not to thread jack this enlightening anatomy lesson.

If not interested then let me know.

How do you carry on internet fights without enabling your email?

:smashfrea:smashfrea

Definately interested, I just need to get a paycheck or 2 first. Bought my daughter a new pair of Burton step-ins and that Fur-Real Pony that retails for around $299 for Christmas.