Note to New Members ×

Hardboots or softies on a Donek Razor?

Helvetico

So I bought new hardboots and bindings last year but I've yet to use them. There's been plenty of untracked off-piste here, so why bother? At least that's what I tell myself. To tell the truth, I'm intimidated by the thought of being a beginner again.

So now I'm toying with the idea of selling the unused boots and bindings and getting a Donek Razor, which is a carving board for soft boots. Is this enough to make groomed runs interesting again or do I have to suck it up and put on the scary hard boots?

You should put on the scary hardboots. iirc (and it's been a while now), it only took a day or two before I basically felt just fine in hardboots. Like, I wouldn't try to do jump turns down double-black moguls, but after 2-3 days it was no longer really weird to have locked ankles.

I agree with the others - hardboot riding made my softboot riding significantly better (and different).

If you start out with moderate angles (i.e. only going up to 45/30, instead of going straight up to 65/60 or whatever), the only weird thing will be your toesides will feel super grippy, because you can no longer feather down the edge angle with your ankles to do controlled skids, but if you're a pretty competent softbooter it should not be that big of a deal - you just have to do it in your hips. Later on when you start bumping up your binding angles other issues will come up, but that's all the fun stuff.

new challenge. If you already have the equipment then go for it. Like the others said, it will improve your softie riding.

On days that it is hard out you will end up carving all over while the jibbers are inside icing their knees and butts from bad landings. And you will have a big grin on your face.

Ink

Lets relate the question to driving cars.

An SUV or 4WD are great fun to drive in the right conditions. (softboots)

A sports car is fun to drive in the right conditions. (hardboots)

Wouldn`t you like to have one of each in the garage to drive which ever one you please when it pleases you?

No

my sports car is a 4wd

I've been riding soft stuff all season long, and enjoying it a ton. Working a lot on becoming comfortable riding switch to the point where I can't tell which direction I'm traveling. It's been a great season so far.

Then,,,, I through on the alpine gear tonight for the first time and remembered why I love it so much. There is no comparison between the two. Take if from me. I feel that when it comes to carving in soft gear I can do it with the best out there, but when you have on the hard stuff the difference is night and day.

So, my opinion, hang onto the hard gear and give it some time, because you can't get that "feeling" in the soft boots. Variety is a great thing.