Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadow Reports 2008-2009

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a great time up on thursday. beautiful blue skies... met up with brian and mike @ vista after a few runs on shooting star. me or my board just could not keep up (it felt sticky) but we got some runs in before the crowds maddened.

being still fairly green to alpine riding i was a little nervous on steeper runs because of speed/control. i was tentative to go down stadium but it turned out to be one of my best runs so i feel like i am getting a bit better... a pouched another run a little later on stadium and was having the best run of the day until a guy ran out in front of me waving his arms... that run had the best snow...

things warmed up and my legs got noodlely so i took off around 230

good day up.

• 2 weeks later...

Spring riding anyone?

Looks promising.

Has anyone been up?

From the MHM Site

COMMENTS: 2009/10 Season Passes are on sale now at awesome prices!

$399 Adult

$299 15 - 22

$199 7 - 14

$299 65+

No group purchase necessary! Get a jump on next season! Prices good through April 26 or while supplies last

Tons of snow!! No wind. Pure Blue sky!! Grooming looked pretty good from the parking lot, left a little to be desired, waves, ridges and pocks pretty much everywhere. Maybe 50% of weekend grooming? I am sure it got better as it softened, according to Mark (only other alpine rider I spotted) it was "Excellent", by that time I was on some new skis.;) It was much easier on my body. Decided to shake off my rusty steep skiing skills and get some good corn snow turns in Heather Canyon. The top was sweet, the bottom area beat me up some more. :smashfrea Overall , fun day, be back for more Tuesday. :eplus2:

FIRST TIME TODAY - Finally made "Three First Chairs", been getting quite a few "Two First Chairs" but never three. I think four will never happen so, Whooo hoo!! As this would indicate, NO CROWDS TODAY!!!:biggthump

1- cutting the roof cornice

2- hotties in the parking lot

3- Walter, doing fine at 80!! Mon, Wed, Friday

post-198-141842280378_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184228038_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842280382_thumb.jpg

Spring riding anyone?

Looks promising.

Has anyone been up?

From the MHM Site

I was up with Erin on Sunday, and the grooming was subpar. Vista had a pothole big enough to high-side a Beetle - 8 inches deep by 2 feet across by 6 feet long...nice.

Reminds me of the bad old days at Meadows when ski patrol used to place signs to warn riders of particularly poor/dangerous grooming.

And, apparently they didn't groom at all on Saturday, even though there hadn't been significant new snow since Thursday.

I'm feeling pretty unloved by Meadows right now: they're closing early, given how much base we have, and the quality of the grooming suggests they're just barely going through the motions until April 25.

No Meadows pass for me next year - I've had enough of the crowds and the disregard for pass holders. (The whole "we lose money if we stay open in May" thing ticks me off: season pass holders pay for the whole season. You can't just look at how many day tickets you sell in May and say "we're losing money, gotta close.") I'm either going to be a backcountry noob, or jump the fence and give Timberline/Ski Bowl a shot.

So...gotta get lots of days in before the end of this season! I'm mainly a weekend rider, but might be able to sneak up for a weekday session in the week of April 20. Anyone else?

MHM's new offer of next years pass for 399$ makes me wonder what they are planning?

I did not know that T-Line and WhitePass has a reciprocity agreement? Cool!

Timberline and White Pass have renewed our reciprocal season pass program! White Pass Season Passholders may ski Timberline up to 5 days free! In order to redeem this offer, present your pass at the Ski White Pass Mountain Services Desk on any day of the regular season that BOTH White Pass and Timberline are open and in full operation. You may only receive one lift ticket per day. Please be sure to review your season pass rules. For instance, a mid-week only season pass is valid mid-week / non-holiday only

Dan, I totally hear you!!

Have you been over to Timberline since the new chair was put in?

I think it really helped provide more options.

Looking at the Spring Pass pretty hard. Worth it for an extra month at T-Line?

Hey Bryan, I haven't been up to T-line since they got their new chair -- it's been at least two years since my last trip up there. I might make it up a day or two in May though. It's tempting, but I probably won't jump for their Spring Pass -- lots of work to do around the house this summer, and I think most of my weekends are already spoken for. Homeownership sure is something. :rolleyes:

Looking towards next season, I could see getting a spring pass at Meadows - March/April were the best months of the year...

Fun day in the sun!! Ross, Dan, Randy and Jim made it happen today!!

Warmer than Monday right off the bat. This made for softer carving, yet fast. Grooming was still so-so. As it softened it was more forgiving, at least for a short time until it got soupie and sticky. Good Friends, good beer, sunshine and alpine snowboarding. A good day for sure!! Bryan

post-198-141842280439_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842280443_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842280446_thumb.jpg

Meadows - April 17 - 20

Hey guys - I'll be riding at Meadows and SkiBowl between the 17th and the 20th. If anyone wants to make some turns - PM me!

Looking forward to some good times on Mt. Hood. I still miss portland like crazy!

I should be riding friday, sat, sun, monday. I'll be doing some nights at skibowl too in all probability.

cheers!

-Jose

Meadows - April 17 - 20

Hey guys - I'll be riding at Meadows and SkiBowl between the 17th and the 20th. If anyone wants to make some turns - PM me!-Jose

Typically Jose, I avoid the weekends, Possibly Friday or Monday?

Where are you staying? Portland , Hood River?

Flying in? Driving?

Good reason to meet with the local riders over beer and pizza/wings/more beer ?

PM, a number and we can chat about your visit.

PS, might want to delete the other thread to prevent doppleganging your post?

Looks like we found another reason to PARTY!! :eplus2:

Jose or queequeg on BOL is coming in from New York to ride MH.

Anyone got a couple dollars left to buy the poor guy a beer :biggthump

Let's do this. Bryan

Sweet, I'm in. Not sure about the night of the 17th, but the 16th or 18th would work.

Jose, I'm supposed to be at Meadows on the 17th, but as a work thing. I've already been scolded for suggesting that, rather than car-pooling, I was just going to drive on my own, and leave Portland early enough to be in line when the lifts started...this day is for co-worker bonding, not maximum groomer railing. I'll probably have to head into the lodge for lunch too, rather than eating a Clif bar on the chair, pfft.

All of which is to say that I will probably get in trouble if I sneak off with you to run laps on Shooting Star Ridge all afternoon. :-)

Still, I'm sure I'll see you up there on the 17th, and I'm likely to be up at least one weekend day too -- PM me your cell phone?

Sweet, I'm in. Not sure about the night of the 17th, but the 16th or 18th would work.

Jose, I'm supposed to be at Meadows on the 17th, but as a work thing. I've already been scolded for suggesting that, rather than car-pooling, I was just going to drive on my own, and leave Portland early enough to be in line when the lifts started...this day is for co-worker bonding, not maximum groomer railing. I'll probably have to head into the lodge for lunch too, rather than eating a Clif bar on the chair, pfft.

All of which is to say that I will probably get in trouble if I sneak off with you to run laps on Shooting Star Ridge all afternoon. :-)

Still, I'm sure I'll see you up there on the 17th, and I'm likely to be up at least one weekend day too -- PM me your cell phone?

Bond with this!! Be there early , keep up, or suck hind tit. :1luvu::lol: ooops, did I say that out loud?

Easy for me to say, WORK doesn't have a Ski Bus anymore, but if it did :argue::AR15firin:p:smashfrea

Looks like we found another reason to PARTY!! :eplus2:

Jose or queequeg on BOL is coming in from New York to ride MH.

Anyone got a couple dollars left to buy the poor guy a beer :biggthump

Let's do this. Bryan

Hey Thanks Bryan!

I'm going to be staying at my friend's cabin in Rhododendron. I will probably be riding with some friends of various capabilities, all on softies except for me of course. One of us will be a beginner but I'm not sure how much riding she will be doing. Either way - it would be super cool to rock some turns with you guys!!

Dan + Bryan - check your mail.

Ok temps dropped and headed up tomorrow and maybe tues. Going with a group of coworkers tomorrow but the more the better...

Jim

Looking at it. Currently 29 degrees and 48 mph winds at midnight.

Couple inches, groomed in, might be pretty ok?

I will set the alarm and check the numbers in the am.

Bryan