Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries, 2008-09

BlueB

Looks Promising Folks, not too warm this Sunday. Ski long term forecast at Grouse will be low @5 deg. C and high @13 deg. C. Hope the Weatherman got it right. Sunny all day.

Roy/Boris and co.

I will wait for you guys at the base in front of Starbucks. Reminder, parking is free on the right side of the Welcome Sign (unmarked gravel road). $5 Parking fee on the marked areas closer to the tram. Also the complimentary pass and purchased pass from the counter are valid for 1 entry and exit only. If you forgot something and decided to go down, you're out of luck, you have to pay. I have a multiple entry privilege so I can come down and collect your stuff especially if it is your wallet full of cash money:ices_ange. Plastics forget it:eek: First Public ride at 0900 Hrs. It's busy the first 3 tram ride then gets reasonably less after that. Being the last day and nice weather, might be busy unlike Cypress last Sunday was deserted due to Vancouver Sun Run.

ruwi

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PAGING: Dave*, Cousin of Beagle, Pierre, Tenorman, Speedster, xy9ine, tele-bum...

CONFIRM: BlueB, CarvingScooby, Crucible, GabrielH, Ruwi

Cheers

Roy

thanks for the heads up. alas, now that the snow has *finally* melted from the lower elevs, the board has been shelved in favor of bikes. had some great days (well, evenings; only made it up in the daylight once this year), made some progress & am looking forward to carving it up next season. cheers!

hi cypress crew

sorry i can't make it this sunday. i was up on thursday and grouse has lost a lot of snow the last week. quite a few bare spots and rocky patches. probably the best coverage is on THE CUT. the runs like CENTENNIAL and EXPO are still okay but in order to access those runs you have to negotiate inhospitable rock strewn terrain to get there.

the main red gondola is shut down for maintenance so only the smaller (much slower) blue gondola is running so up/downloading will take a lot longer. i had to wait for over an hour in the downloading lineup on thursday night--budget your time accordingly if you have time sensitive plans for sunday evening.

i renewed way back at the end of february when the renewal notices were first sent out so i already gave my ticket to my neighbour. i didn't foresee cypress closing before grouse--highly unusual lol.

have fun guys.

later

doug

PAGING: Dave*, Pierre, Speedster, tele-bum...

CONFIRM: BlueB, CarvingScooby, Cousin of Beagle, Crucible, GabrielH, Ruwi

:( xy9ine, Tenorman, Pierre.

YEP, Rock board will be in action...thx for the report guys.

the board has been shelved in favor of bikes. had some great days (well, evenings; only made it up in the daylight once this year), made some progress & am looking forward to carving it up next season. cheers!

Not so fast on the shelve:rolleyes:, buddy...we still have Whistler:p :

April 28=> Boris, Roy, others (Ondrej?)?

and in May (might be on the 20th) Let's move this to Whistler thread

Cheers

Roy

I didn't get to the base until 0930 Hrs and was late on purpose. They promised that they will operate the Red during weekends of which they did last weekend but today only the Blue was running so delay in going up the hill. It turned out to be better that way. As I was riding the Blue tram, Gordon was exiting on the other side. Briefly chat with with and later told me how bad the runs are, all ice and crunchy. When I did my first run at 1030 Hrs down the cut it was OK, not ideal for carving but who cares I practiced my quick turns so I can catch up Boris:biggthump The sun has melted the ice and had fun until 1400 Hrs. I didn't venture to the other runs as I ocassionally ride with my wife at the bunny hill who started skiing again late this season. I'm happy for her:1luvu:

So folks there is no need to be up their in the first hour. Lets have coffee at starbucks while the ice melts and let the Blue tram traffic ease up first before we board. I will still be there before 0900 Hrs to meet you guys anyway.

see ya!

ruwi

Met at Starbucks at the parking lot at 9:00. BlueB, CarvingScooby, Crucible, Ruwi, GabrielH, and myself. Since we're civilized human beings, we hung out at Starbucks because it was a Sunday morning!

It was sunny today (unlike yesterday morning), which made for a long lineup for the small blue tram (the larger red tram was closed for maintenance). We waited from about 10:00 to 11:15.

Conditions were soft 'n squishy snow (which I like). I wore a t-shirt. Grouse snowfone reported 10 degrees. Good snow coverage too. The occasional bare spots were well marked. Rock boards weren't necessary. I was on my 3 month old 2009 Prior 4WD 169 (my only carving board I own).

Rode Expo, The Cut, the bump runs off the Peak, etc. Some of the guys (not me) rode the back runs off the Olympic chair.

Left the hill around 2:45 to return to the Starbucks at the bottom.

Ah, that was fun, in despite of long wait in the gondi lineup... Nice riding with biger group again. Big thanks to George and Ruwi for hospitallity and free tickets!

Loved the Steepwater with plates, today, at 45/25 angles...

Back runs of the Olympic chair are pure evil (in a good way). What else would you expect from the places called Purgatory and Inferno? :D Super steep, tight, bumpy, stumpy, rocky, sparce trees... Yummy.

Sooo, Vancouver local season has come to the real end now. Few more Whistler trips and we are done for the year...

Great day for carving day and nice riding with all the carvers. Good to see all boards carve and make the G turn.

Big thanks to Ruwi for (ticket + morning coffee) & George, for u guys hospitality.

Have my bloody expensive (CDN $100) Winterstick-172 with carbon strips + Burton race plate binding, awesome board for rock board. You never know what can get in junk yard.

Thx to Crucible for the quick push nose switch lesson. Took me & Ruwi to his secret stash with a 36 deg angle slope at the end. Looks so easy for Crucible going down between the monster bumps on his Oxygen Race board. Was fun but I can only do it for 1 lap, will be next season course.

GabrielH stay longer then all of us, keep up the good work and try flex your knee.

Thanks for BlueB for the farwell 08/09 season ice coffee, we need the energy back after 4.5 hrs straight carving.

See ya guys next season or maybe in Whistler????

Cheers

Roy

Nice to end the season with a bunch of carving fools....

I took Roy and Ruwi and Boris down the black diamond chutes off of the Olympic chair just so they could see a different Grouse Mountain- these are twisty and tight chutes that are also 32 degrees to 36 degrees in some spots (I've checked with my avalanche inclinometer). It's technical enough that if you don't have a solid jump turn, you're gonna hate life coming down these runs. It was interesting to see some freestyle skiers and boarders getting enough of a reality check on these runs that they took off their skis and boards and walked and slid down to the bottom.

All of them survived- intact and tired from having to do survival jump turns and some tight side slips, but it was cool to see that everyone had some game. Boris has been spending a lot of time in moguls to prepare for his upcoming CASI 2 test this week, here's hoping that he kills it.

Now that all of the local lifts are closed, I'm converting over my quiver to backcountry boards and snow shoes and approach skis, but I'll still keep a couple of freecarve decks ready to roll for Whistler.

Whistler's lifts should be GTG until the third week of May.

Geo

What else to say, you've got them all. Thank you all for coming. That coffee before and after was a good thing to do. Share some experiences about the season. Somehow I'm come to realize that yesterday was my fastest riding ever, trying to catch up with those speed maniacs. So the last and final run, I took it gentle and happy that the bones are all intact. Today at work back/legs are sore, sleepy,yawning all the time.:sleep:

Whistler here we come.

ruwi

• 2 weeks later...