Note to New Members ×

Not a lot of Traffic for Mammoth

garyj

Hi Guys,

I realize the season is off to kind of a slow start, but I would have expected to see more of the regulars posting reports on their sessions. When is everyone going to start riding again? It looks like I might be up the week between Christmas and New Years with the family and maybe once or twice before. Anyone up for a pre Christmas session? Let me know what's up and maybe we can join up.

GC

Hi Guys,

I realize the season is off to kind of a slow start, but I would have expected to see more of the regulars posting reports on their sessions. When is everyone going to start riding again? It looks like I might be up the week between Christmas and New Years with the family and maybe once or twice before. Anyone up for a pre Christmas session? Let me know what's up and maybe we can join up.

GC

I'd like to make it up to Mammoth again so you and Erwin can drag me down something really steep again. You know it was my 3rd day on HBs and probably 9th on the snow right? :lol:

I was in Mammoth this past weekend and it wasn’t all that bad, in the morning I was mostly on stump alley and the snow was pretty good but you have to watch out for the racers or the racing school, those guys just fly down the mountain some doing slalom turns and some going straight down really fast, if you stop looking for 2 second they are on you, you want to be behind them not in front but at least they were gone by 10 am later on I was on solitude and the snow was good, the coverage was good but there was a lot of little rocks on top of the snow here and there and I didn’t like that, I went up the corniche because from below it looked like it was groomed but it wasn’t that flat or smooth and there was too many people that shouldn’t have been there, including snowboarders just sliding down facing forward because they couldn’t turn, I saw a girl on a snowboard who fell near the top, took down 2 other boarders and finally stop about 3 quarters of the way down.

I only saw another hardbooter on Saturday, no one else on Sunday

In the afternoon when my legs were getting tired I was going up gold rush express, do a few carves at the top then go down to the bottom as fast as I could and that was fun, I got my speed fix for the weekend, when I went back to stump alley and broadway to get back to the car the snow wasn’t so good anymore, you have the soft snow on top that’s being scraped by people riding and below it was a frozen solid base that I didn’t like but I was done anyway, I hope they get a lot of snow soon because they need it

I might be in mammoth again the weekend of christmas

Ok, NOW everyone admits that you have had a couple sessions. Come on guys, get the word out! We need to stick together on this. I'm tired of riding alone and trying to explain to everyone that I'm not riding a mono ski and that my boots are not ski boots...:smashfrea

WOW, what carving chef was describing sounds just short of a fiasco. Was there coverage on the ridge from top gondola into cornice bowl? Better to wait for more snow? I guess I just don't want it bad enough.

King, were you not the one waiting at the bottom for Erwin and I as we desperatly tried to keep up? Come on man, lets be honest here. Anyway, I hope to see you all soon and remember---get the word out!

GC

Ok, NOW everyone admits that you have had a couple sessions. Come on guys, get the word out! We need to stick together on this. I'm tired of riding alone and trying to explain to everyone that I'm not riding a mono ski and that my boots are not ski boots...:smashfrea

WOW, what carving chef was describing sounds just short of a fiasco. Was there coverage on the ridge from top gondola into cornice bowl? Better to wait for more snow? I guess I just don't want it bad enough.

King, were you not the one waiting at the bottom for Erwin and I as we desperatly tried to keep up? Come on man, lets be honest here. Anyway, I hope to see you all soon and remember---get the word out!

GC

There was a snowcat on that run if I remember quickly. That was also the first time I made a good heelside, so I lost track of where I was going, and ended up right in front of him. He stopped and waved, I like when I see someone in a repetitive job who doesn't have a stick up their butt. I have to say, I'm still proud of my introduction when I finally caught up with you guys. "Hey guys" *points to front binding*

Since the weather is looking good this week and next, I won't be making a mammy trip until spring. Still plan on riding the season all the way out, and then hunting for snow on the back of baldy with a rock board. Then I'll call it quits and join you guys!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading up first thing tomorrow and will be there through the 5th.

I plan to ride mostly at June though to avoid crowds. Does anyone know how the coverage is looking over there? Coverage at the Main Lodge side of Mammoth has been fine, but I hear the 9/25 Eagle side is still not too safe even with all of this new fresh.