Note to New Members ×

new to carving

Kex

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the hardbooting scene, I've only tried it twice so far, both times while in sun valley, ID, but I've loved it both times and I'm trying to get some gear to really get into it. I live on the east coast so there isn't much selection in the shops here, and I've pretty much been watching ebay and BOL looking for low priced gear, and I was hoping for some recommendations. Both times I've ridden (last season), I rode a burton alp, which i want to say was 163cm, IIRC. If it matters, I weigh 190 and have size 27 feet. If you have any info tha tmight help, gear selection-wise, I'd appreciate it. thanks

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the hardbooting scene, I've only tried it twice so far, both times while in sun valley, ID, but I've loved it both times and I'm trying to get some gear to really get into it. I live on the east coast so there isn't much selection in the shops here, and I've pretty much been watching ebay and BOL looking for low priced gear, and I was hoping for some recommendations. Both times I've ridden (last season), I rode a burton alp, which i want to say was 163cm, IIRC. If it matters, I weigh 190 and have size 27 feet. If you have any info tha tmight help, gear selection-wise, I'd appreciate it. thanks

Hey there. Welcome to bomber. on your profile it says home mtn is Sun Valley, which is my carving epicenter of the world. Definitely look me up when you come back. You are welcome to ride some of my quiver when you come. I may have a couple of things I could part with, but the Hooger I want to ride first. A couple of FPs 173 you could ride. Also a Rossi throttle 167.

There were some hard boots - Raichle ( older light brown grey ) - at one of the thrift shops the other day for not a lot - maybe $50.

Also I would not want to ride stock liners ever again. It seems like bomber has the thermoflex ( heat and fit ) type liners for under a $100. So if I were you I would look for the best shells for the money, plan on a new liner and you should still be good to go for under $200. I ride a foam liner I am really happy with but that adds a couple hundred bones.

Just curious - what boots did you ride when you rode last year? Ski boots, rental hard boots? Bindings? Any impressions you could give may be helpful in getting good suggestions on what may be appropriate. And cheap. Like an older Burton Wind or Reactor might be fine to start especially with a fresh liner. I broke/break everything I ride anymore, but the Reactor was great until I learned to ride harder and started getting fat all at the same time.

Don't quite know how that worked, but I am going with it.

Were you able to carve the Alp? Did you get to where you could feel it wash out?

Able to carve Cs?

Send snow. Then come carve.

My first carving board was a burton Alp 7.1 I think. It was probably 1994, asym,with blue stained wood graphics. I rode it for a while and enjoyed it but did not know what I was missing. SInce I picked up a PriorWCR181 it opened a whole nother world of carving. I am still riding the same crappy burton plates and boots that I bought back in 94 and they seem OK. I think the geometry of the deck has the most obvious effect on your riding (the bindings/boots are secondary). Try to find a deck that is meant to do what you want it to do, and make sure it is stiff enough for your weight - thats my suggestion.

Kex

What part of PA? If any where that you can get to Blue Mtn, near and north of Lehigh Valley area, JBS and i would be more than happy to give you some pointers.

I got rid of most of my excess equipment, so I cant really help you out there.

Good luck to you and maybe see you around.

Drop me a private messag if you want any pointers on stuff I have ridden. While i'm not a 20 year alpine vetern I have move thru some varying boards over the past 6 seasons and have come to be pleased with what I have in the quivr and what hopes to be coming soon. Hint hint wink wink, Metal Coiler.

Welcome to the sport and you will never regret it!!!!!! I took it up 6 years agao after 20+ seasons on softboots and I should have come over sooner.

Greg

Hey there. Welcome to bomber. on your profile it says home mtn is Sun Valley, which is my carving epicenter of the world. Definitely look me up when you come back. You are welcome to ride some of my quiver when you come. I may have a couple of things I could part with, but the Hooger I want to ride first. A couple of FPs 173 you could ride. Also a Rossi throttle 167.

There were some hard boots - Raichle ( older light brown grey ) - at one of the thrift shops the other day for not a lot - maybe $50.

Also I would not want to ride stock liners ever again. It seems like bomber has the thermoflex ( heat and fit ) type liners for under a $100. So if I were you I would look for the best shells for the money, plan on a new liner and you should still be good to go for under $200. I ride a foam liner I am really happy with but that adds a couple hundred bones.

Just curious - what boots did you ride when you rode last year? Ski boots, rental hard boots? Bindings? Any impressions you could give may be helpful in getting good suggestions on what may be appropriate. And cheap. Like an older Burton Wind or Reactor might be fine to start especially with a fresh liner. I broke/break everything I ride anymore, but the Reactor was great until I learned to ride harder and started getting fat all at the same time.

Don't quite know how that worked, but I am going with it.

Were you able to carve the Alp? Did you get to where you could feel it wash out?

Able to carve Cs?

Send snow. Then come carve.

Thanks for the offer, thats very kind of you. I'm not sure if I will be visiting sooner as well, but I know that I will be in sun valley in mid march so I'll have to get in touch with you when I know more info.

The boots I rode were rental burtons, as were the bindings and the board, I happened to find a shop in sun valley that had an old gear sitting around. I can't remember exactly what kind of boots they were, though they were definitely snowboard hardboots. i know they had 4 buckles and iirc, they were a solid shell, and were not intec compatable, so i want to say reactor or furnace, but I cant be 100%. The bindings were also burton, and were not step in, but again, I don't know the particular model.

I never took any lessons but from watching a few videos online and reading the articles on bomber, like "the norm," I was able to carve the alp, though I can't say how well, other than that I could feel I was on edge and I wasn't just sliding. Also, I could look up the hill and easily distinguish my c-shaped trenches from all the other tracks on the hill, which was pretty cool.

What part of PA? If any where that you can get to Blue Mtn, near and north of Lehigh Valley area, JBS and i would be more than happy to give you some pointers.

Right now I'm in state college, I'm in my junior year at Penn State studying electrical engineering. My hometown is a little south of west chester, pa if you know where that is. Neither is too far from blue, a few hours' drive. I've been to blue mtn many times, along with most of the resorts in the poconos as well, though to be honest, after going out west, the poconos are no longer all that much fun =P

thanks for the tips guys, looking forward to some more!

Hey, I'm fairly new to the carving world myself, but I've been snowboarding for over 20 years. I "carved" before getting into carving and I can tell you that if you have the drive, the passion, and the ability you can go a long way on, NOT CHEAP... let's call it inexpencive gear. I started carving on freeride boards and progressed to "outdated" carving equipment. (I thought we had spell check on here) Anyways. You're looking in the right places. I purchased one board out of the BOL classifieds and Ebay isn't a bad place either, but beware of hustlers on Ebay. The guys here are upfront, straight forward, and will not steer you wrong. Buy used from here and you'll increase your "stoke-atude". We're one big disfunctional family on here, isn't that right Tex.

The boots I rode were rental burtons, as were the bindings and the board, I happened to find a shop in sun valley that had an old gear sitting around. I can't remember exactly what kind of boots they were, though they were definitely snowboard hardboots. i know they had 4 buckles and iirc, they were a solid shell, and were not intec compatable, so i want to say reactor or furnace, but I cant be 100%. The bindings were also burton, and were not step in, but again, I don't know the particular model.

I never took any lessons but from watching a few videos online and reading the articles on bomber, like "the norm," I was able to carve the alp, though I can't say how well, other than that I could feel I was on edge and I wasn't just sliding. Also, I could look up the hill and easily distinguish my c-shaped trenches from all the other tracks on the hill, which was pretty cool.

Sounds like you found the Board Bin. They are the only ones I know that have any gear at all.

And it seems like you got it going on with the carving. Time will make it all get easier.

Definitely look me up when you get here. Sounds like spring break time which can be pretty busy for me. if I can get some runs in with you, I would love to.

I do teach for the Co. (SV Company) so I have to put in some time there if they are busy.

Send snow. :biggthump

I will be in Pittsburgh the week b/tw x-mas and new years and riding at 7 Springs, which I would imagine you will be home, unless you work at the cafeteria during break. Sorry poor taste in joke.

If you can pick up some gear though, JBS and I are at Blue most of the time. As far as west conditions, that doesnt matter as long as your are on hardboots. It makes trips west that more enjpyable. Blue is as close as you are going to get to stuff in the west in PA besides 7 Springs. Trust me, there is more than enough stuff there to keep your thighs occupied.

Drop us a line on the PA ride board anss see if we can hook up.

Greg

Hi all - I'm a new carver too. And am loving it! Last season I borrowed an Option prototype from a friend, (I had found some hardly used Blax boots at a resale shop for $100) and loved it. I found an Alp at the same shop a month or so ago and have 5 days on it so far this season. I can already tell the Alp is too soft. I'll probably need to upgrade by the end of this season, but the price was right and it's fine for me as a beginner. I have been told that it will be a good powder board, so I'll keep it for special occasions!

don't take my words as gospel but try not to get a burton carving board, the technology has gotten much better sonce their time. f2, nidecker, volkl, are some boards you may find in a respectable price range, If you can afford a coiler I would highly reccomend them, just go to coiler.com abd check out the specs of the board before you buy, because they are weight specific. Donek, prior are also great boards.

burton bindings are cool because they are cheap, there are some on ebay right now, i think. trench diggers can be found for around 100 bucks or so, there are others, just know that bindings with plastic are much more flexible than all aluminum.

boots are important, you should try to find a pair with 4 buckles or more, and hopefully a booster strap, thats the strap on the highest point on the boot. hope that helps

Hey: Isn't it funny how stuff you need eventually materializes somehow? A couple years ago, a friend (ski racer) let me borrow his alpine set up to get the feel for it - then let me buy it while i was frantically looking around for gear. Now I still can't wait to try other boards (currently riding a 158 Throttle which is definitely feeding my addiction), but stuff does come along even if it's not in your local ski shop.

Happy carving! Any CT riders out there?

- JP

Hey: Isn't it funny how stuff you need eventually materializes somehow? A couple years ago, a friend (ski racer) let me borrow his alpine set up to get the feel for it - then let me buy it while i was frantically looking around for gear. Now I still can't wait to try other boards (currently riding a 158 Throttle which is definitely feeding my addiction), but stuff does come along even if it's not in your local ski shop.

Happy carving! Any CT riders out there?

- JP

there's a few carvers in your area, Tex comes to mind.

and all you lurkers out there, there's beta to be had, gear for cheap and most of us are willing to help if you're trying to figger out how to get into alpine.

Tom has some great vids and articles to get you stoked

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUsKsFufXUQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUsKsFufXUQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>