Note to New Members ×

Camera Nerd Thread

KingCrimson

DOF still would have been poopy! Tends to be a problem doing closeups of a lens when the lens is 8 inches long.

I want to make a pinhole camera. Infinite DOF is scary.

Here, check these out. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. These cameras are twisted! http://www.boyofblue.com/cameras/hiv.html

Hey Kingcrimson, thanks for the link. Those camera's are very cool.

Yes, OM to 4/3rds adapter so I can use my old glass. But I went and bought digital 4/3rds glass anyways. But its still fun to pull out the old stuff.

I've seriously been considering getting a 35mm SLR from the past 5 years. Rebels and such on Craigslist all the time down here for 100 and under in good shape wth multiple lenses. Nobody wants em, and everyone is strapped for cash and is just unloading them. Taking advantage of the EOS lenses would be great. What I REALLY want is an F6 though. But it's just silly. 10 FPS on a film camera? Go through 2 dollars a film if you load it yourself in 3.6 seconds.

I'm shooting with D300 and D700 bodies. I primarily shoot snowboarding with my 70-200 f2.8 and 24-120 nikon lenses. I've occaisionally used my 50-500 Sigma lens. Perhaps I'll pull out the fish eye this season.

Other gear includes: 30mm f1.4 sigma, 50mm f1.4 nikon, 85mm f1.4 nikon, 105mm Nikon macro, 3 SB-800s, Catus radio triggers.

Right now I have D300 (bought Dec, 2007) and D700 (just bought second-hand, had just couple of test shots, but for sure it's one of the best cameras for low-light photography available right now).

My Nikkor lenses are:

AF-S 24-70 (damn, this is sharp even wide open, though VR version would have been better!),

Nikkor 70-200 (very good on DX, haven't tested on FX where reportedly it has corner problems around 200 mm. But this shouldn't affect carving photos, as in most cases action in in the middle of frame ;),

Nikkor 85 f/1.8 (used in low-light concert photography, was not convinced in DX, but expect to perform better on D700),

Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR (light and quite good optically up to 200 mm, VR is bonus).

In DX I have:

17-55 f/2.8 (which I probably sell),

Sigma 30 f/1.4 (I liked it for low-light photography but with D700 I see no need for it so it goes as well)

Tokina 12-24 f/4 (OK lens, but will be replaced probably with FX wide-angle).

With all the money put into lenses and cameras good pictures should be "sure thing" but for some reason I don't see it. :freak3: Maybe I should send them all into service, as they seem to be broken :D

_MG_7639.JPG

Film? On snow? Each to their own; I've not seen anyone with that stuff for years, but it's great you can make it work.

I'm shooting with Canon although I've a cupboard full of cameras including all the obvious 35mm brands. At the moment I favour my 5D over my 1Ds; wondering about a 5DMk2 to add some video smarts. Check Richard Walch's article in the CPS newsletter for that.

Film? On snow? Each to their own; I've not seen anyone with that stuff for years, but it's great you can make it work.

I'm shooting with Canon although I've a cupboard full of cameras including all the obvious 35mm brands. At the moment I favour my 5D over my 1Ds; wondering about a 5DMk2 to add some video smarts. Check Richard Walch's article in the CPS newsletter for that.

Now THAT is a smug mug! :lol:

Snow comes out really nicely on film. Especially Kodachrome. Too bad you can't hardly find it anymore.

I still shoot with an old but trusty 20D. I mainly shoot landscapes whenever I go backpacking in the Sierra and the occasional wedding to pay for lift tickets haha. I have a Sigma 10-20mm ,Tamron 17-35mm, and Tamron 28-75mm.

Those are some stunning pics. I think there are some places on the planet that are just so photogenic, you can't take a bad shot even if you try. That looks like one of them.

Some of those pictures require a pretty keen eye, Loc, you're an incredible photographer!

Allee I beg to differ. I'll post up some pictures in Alaska I took before I understood photography. The composition just SUCKS. Rule number one of photography- Don't try to copy a professional's composition without understanding why.

I still stay away from landscapes.

• 3 weeks later...
I think there are some places on the planet that are just so photogenic, you can't take a bad shot even if you try. That looks like one of them.

100% disagree. Very easy to mess up a landscape shot in many ways, or just take one that is completely uninteresting. Loc gets a ton of credit for those shots. You couldn't take your point-n-shoot out and just whip this off:

2676382920_20ef86ee22.jpg?v=1229639797

or this:

2678672854_55d232260a.jpg?v=0

both physically impossible with a typical point-n-shoot.