Note to New Members ×

05 Summit Expression Session - Use this thread for talk

Michelle

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with Michelle on the board choice... I would normally ride a 180cm with 12.7m radius on just about everything. In the Aspen area I didn't even look at that board. Everything seems so wide open, and the conditions so forgiving, that I rode a 185cm with 16m sidecut all week at SES2004.

ARCrider,

The whole Whistler thing is a long story (got sick en route this year and never actually made it) but want to just finish off my tour of Canada. But I do get your point about extending the SES. I might have to consider it.

To all those looking for cheap accom, the place I was supposed to stay at this year in Aspen (again, never made it) is the St Moritz Hostel with rooms from $36 USD a night. Could be worth a look, as long as you don't mind hostel accommodation.

Dan

To all those looking for cheap accom, the place I was supposed to stay at this year in Aspen (again, never made it) is the St Moritz Hostel with rooms from $36 USD a night. Could be worth a look, as long as you don't mind hostel accommodation.

The St Moritz Hotel has agreed to work with the SES. They offer hostel type, normal "hotel" type, as well as a condo type accomodations at different rates. They have a pool and laundry facailities too. Nice guy at the front desk, Roger. They are very conviently located in town, walking distance to everything. Also, if a bunch of people got together, collectively you can rent a condo plus a few hostel type rooms and then everyone would have use of the kitchen and tv, etc. Then eveyone could pay collectively for the total price of everything.

What is the group code in order to make reservations?

If you are talking about St Moritz, I don't think there is a group code. Just call up and ask for Roger, and then tell him you are with the SES 05. If you have problems let me know and I will call him myself. He said it shouldn't be a problem.

Michelle

I can bring kegs of home brew. What flavors of beer do people like? I make a Damn Good House Porter. An award winning ESB. A Trappist that makes most people happy :D. And a few other varieties.

I could bring a bunch of 5 gal kegs, which means more variety, or full 15 gal kegs. Either way, it will be on CO2 so no worries about stale beer.

Guest Jim Pryor

So stoked to hear the x-session is going to be in the Aspen Valley! Went to Pure Carves in 99 and 01 and had such a blast. It was my first trip to Aspen and boy was I totally floored. The runs they had set aside for us had 8 inches of champagne on top of groomed perfection. These conditions really made for some incredible railing. At Snowmass the slot was roped off just for us and it was like Pipeline meets Jeffereys Bay. Then we went over to Highlands and that mountain just rocked big time. The thing for me was the comraderie and new friends, oh and just a little friendly competition with my fellow alpine devotees. We will make reservations this week and can't wait to finally go to a Bomber event! Keep up the good work Michelle and crew and see ya there. Pray for snow!

Jim Pryor

Originally posted by Damion Terrell

I can bring kegs of home brew. What flavors of beer do people like? I make a Damn Good House Porter. An award winning ESB. A Trappist that makes most people happy :D. And a few other varieties.

I could bring a bunch of 5 gal kegs, which means more variety, or full 15 gal kegs. Either way, it will be on CO2 so no worries about stale beer.

I wish I had friends like you Damion. :D

Michelle, maybe you could edit your original post to include a poll about what days people intend to ride at SES?

Include a couple days before & after the official dates, and allow multiple selections.

This might give people a better idea of when they should plan on being there.

Guest Jim Pryor

Just wanted to say I think it is awesome that the event is going to be held in the valley. A lot of us will be driving to Aspen and the last thing you want to do is get back in the car and drive around. (Flew in once to Aspen and I had to wash my pants twice!). The runs at Buttermilk, and Highlands are just so perfect for carving just like a fresh canvas or perfect piece of marble to get creative. The comraderie and chance to meet new friends makes it something to really look forward to. Went to Aspen in 99 for the first time and then again in 01 and it was amazing to see how everyone had improved! I love watching other riders and to see the myriad of styles and the way they attack the hill is a blast! Anyway I haven't had a computer for a few years and the changes and growth at Bomber are great. Lets see some F2 and other boards for sale soon!! Jim

trikerdad,

Try this one Aspen/Basalt RV Park which is probably the closest. There are more in Glenwood springs, and a bunch in Marble/Carbondale area, but you would have to have another vehicle to drive into Aspen every day. If you know someone who is renting a house, you might be able to park in their driveway, but parking on the street is a no-go. There is a 2 hour parking limit during the day, so you would have to move your vehicle all the time. You can try calling/emailing the resort itself (I would suggest Buttermilk) and see if you can park in their parking lot, but it's a longshot for sure.

So I'm trying to book my SES plans, and it looks like I can only get to DEN using miles, not ASE unfortunately. Are there affordable shuttles from Denver to Aspen? How much do they usually run?

How necessary is a car once we get into town? How far is that St. Moritz hostel from the slopes and other SES related functions?

Michelle, regarding these $36 hostel rooms at St. Moritz, how many people per room? Is this rate valid the entire week? Is it $36 per room or per person?

Sorry sorry about all of the questions. I'm really looking forward to my first SES! :D :D :D

Guest Jim Pryor

Nekdut; boy are you going to love railing in the valley!! I don't know about shuttle service from Denver but once you get to Aspen/Snowmass there are buses that run regularly and take you to all the mountains so you don't need a car. Speaking of carving, have skied/boarded all through Calif., Utah and Colorado and the runs in Aspen are just the best for what we do. Buttermilk seems to have the no crowd perfect coruroy scene but not to technical whereras Aspen Highlands will wake you up real quick with it's steeper runs. Snowmass is just huge. Looking forward to riding Ajax myself. Just get your butt there. jim

Are there affordable shuttles from Denver to Aspen? How much do they usually run?

Try either Resort Express or Colorado Mountain Express . They might now have merged into the same company, but try them anyway. You can also Greyhound from Denver-Summit County, and then hitch a ride from someone coming in from Summit. Also try United Express. They run a shuttle service by plane from Den-Aspen, but when the flights can't land they also run a bus service. You may have to call the 800# to figure that one out.

I would post a thread on here/BOL and ask who is flying in on the same day, leaving the same day, and ask to pay 1/2 gas for a ride. There should be someone that is coming that way on those days.

How far is that St. Moritz hostel from the slopes and other SES related functions?
The St Moritz hotel is right in Aspen, walking distance to all of downtown Aspen's finest. However, we are riding at Snowmass, Buttermilk, and Highlands. Once you get into Aspen it's not a big deal to get to the other mountains, there is a free shuttle bus that takes you there inthe day, and i think it costs $2/ride after 5pm or something. Plus I am sure you can find a ride from someone at the SES - these guys are pretty nice if you buy them a beer or so :) . Check out themap of Aspen with the St Moritz hotel on there.
Michelle, regarding these $36 hostel rooms at St. Moritz, how many people per room? Is this rate valid the entire week? Is it $36 per room or per person?
I would contact them, and they can tell you all the details. I might get something wrong, and then everyone would be angry :mad: . It's best to get it from the source.

Glad you're excited. I am working on the final pricing, and it should be up on the web soon! Keep the questions coming, let me know if I can help with anything else.

Try either Resort Express or Colorado Mountain Express . They might now have merged into the same company, but try them anyway. You can also Greyhound from Denver-Summit County, and then hitch a ride from someone coming in from Summit. Also try United Express. They run a shuttle service by plane from Den-Aspen, but when the flights can't land they also run a bus service. You may have to call the 800# to figure that one out.

Yikes, that runs about $100 each way. Thats $400 for my gf and I round trip. For that much I might as well just rent an SUV, and hopefully split it with a few more people. And I would have a car for the week too.

Okay thanks for the help Michelle! =)

Sorry! That's about the best I can do. There really isn't a good shuttle from Denver to Aspen, it's a 4 hour drive. Your best bet is to either fly into Aspen or fly into Denver and rent a car. Just depends on your situation. If you are coming alone, it might be the same price to fly into Aspen as it will be to rent a car. If you are coming with a few other people, it would be worth it to rent a car.

trying to get there hopefully 2 of us from b-lo (we went to eces for 1st time last year) i was just wondering if we get something from a hotel or condo that includes lift tix is that ok or do we have to get a package from bomber? i know we would at least have to pay for the banquet and demo tent.

ps. i know this is a month after thier post but, toronto people: buffalo to denver is around 250.00 (last time i checked) and with the exchange being more favorable to you guys right know, it might be worth the 1hr drive and customs at the bridges here rather than at the airport? just my .02.

oh yeah- we would be flying into denver also so if anybody thinking of catching a ride or splitting (whatever) we are looking at mon or tues till sat or sun.

later-chris

Originally posted by underdog

...it might be worth the 1hr drive and customs at the bridges here rather than at the airport?

underdog, Not a bad idea, but I think I'll just clarify a couple things for those who consider the option of flying from BUF instead of YYZ...

The distance from Toronto (let's say the CNExhibition area) to Buffalo - Niagara International Airport is about 170km. I fly out of that airport pretty often (due to pricing) and have yet to make the trip in under 2 hours (to or from).

It's a crap shoot at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge too... INS is usually pretty quick but the traffic can be heavy causing some pretty bad delays. INS has pre-clearance here in Toronto, so unless you're traveling on a high travel day, it's pretty painless to use the airport.

Also, for anyone that's planning to use this idea, don't forget to budget for parking at or near the airport. This isn't that expensive if you're just going for a couple days, but it sure adds up after a week.

i was just wondering if we get something from a hotel or condo that includes lift tix is that ok or do we have to get a package from bomber?

You can always ask as the hotel/condo that you are making reservations through if they can include lift tickets, and at what price. However, we are getting such a screaming deal on the tickets that it may be worth it for you to buy the entire 6 days and just not use some of them. You can always try to sell the last 2 days to someone staying late. Check around, I am sure there is something you can work out.

You will have to pick them up from me, so you will have to find me (won't be that hard, just look for the tent. I'm in it all the time!). I don't think they will be for specific days, it will be more like a range (Feb 12 - 20th), or something like that. I am not exactly sure yet, I will find out more information before the prices go up.