Note to New Members ×

How do you like these odds?!

Guest Ghostrider

Guest Ghostrider

I found some stats..just thought I would share.

I'm not sure about anybody else..but it only makes me want to get back on the stick sooner...

For every day of riding, these are your odds...

(Based on the international resort injury survey)

40.3% of beginner snowboarders will require medical attention during the first day riding.

Of experienecd snowboarders ( > 8 weeks riding ), on any given day:

22% will experience a fractured wrist.

13% will have a head/face laceration

9% will have a knee injury

5% will dislocate a shoulder

Originally posted by Ghostrider

Of experienecd snowboarders ( > 8 weeks riding ), on any given day:

22% will experience a fractured wrist.

13% will have a head/face laceration

9% will have a knee injury

5% will dislocate a shoulder

Sure about this? More than 1 in 5 experienced snowboarders break their wrist on a given day?

I don't think so, but it at least gives me an excuse to propagate my favourite snowboard-related web page:

<a href="http://asb-biomech.org/onlineabs/NACOB98/100/">An Analysis of the Effect of a Snowboard Wrist Guard on the Dynamic Impact Response of Human Cadaver Forearms</a>

I love it when they talk about "harvesting arms from cadavers"!

Guest Ghostrider

Yea..it seemed high to me too so I looked into it a bit further. My source was close..but the wording was off...

22% of all snowboard injuries in a given day are wrist fractures.

but I did find also that there were over 95,000 reported wrist fractures world-wide as a result of snowboarding last year.

Also, statistically speaking, an advanced snowboarder will sustain at least one serious injury for every 250 days of riding.

Further, 28% of those serious falls will result in a bone fracture.

So for about every 1,000 days on the slopes, you will be guaranteed a broken bone.

Not too bad, almost sounds safe...but still, the overall chance of an advanced rider needing medical attention is about 0.4% per day of riding. Which is double the injury rate for skiing.

I would bet that the numbers for alpine are much lower injury wise. Most of the Wrist Injurys we (ski Patrol) see are from people comming off jumps. we do have the speed factor aginst us but we Trench diggers are much much lower to the ground.

Rambo

I can totally see that statistic to be true!

Only time I got injured was when I was riding a noodle with softboots back in ’90.

Hurt my left ankle so bad that I still have to deal with it today from time to time.

No more softboots for me...

Totally injury free for the last 14 years carving…;)

I wonder how the stats would look if you figured in the age of the rider. Being one of the oldest guys on this forum I see the <20year olds doing accident prone moves and stunts, most of the time trying to impress those around them. I am reminded of the idiot who was in front of me on a cat track and suddenly took a right off to the right into the trees only to come right back onto the track while jumping 6 feet into the air off a hidden jump. There was 6-8 people behind me, I had to do a quick turn and almost stopped to miss this guy hitting my head. I don't even think he cared he came so close to hurting a bunch of people.

As we get older we get wiser and tend search for an exhilarating ride but a sane one. While some of the young ones tend to search for a higher risk to make an exhilarating ride. Risk = injury

Guest Ghostrider

Well Rusty and Neil cancel eachother out!

And congrats on breaking BOTH WRISTS...you are a lucky fellow. Not many people could do that, you really gotta want it! Way to give 110%!

Guest Ghostrider

Here is my list of the last 7 years..I kinda throw off the statistics I think:

(I used to freestyle)

-4x Separated Right Shoulder

-2x Separated Left Shoulder

-1x Disloacted Left Shoulder

-4x Concussion (I think..:D )

-1x Torn Right ACL

-1x Torn Left Meniscus

-2x Sprained Wrist

-1x Sprained Ankle

-2x Stress Fracture Left Shin

-3x Broken Thumb

-5x Cracked Rib

-2x Broken Tailbone

-2x Neck/Back Injury

-6x Drew Blood (Boarder-X)

hmm...thats the first time I've ever done an inventory of myself.

about 600,000 mg of Motrin, 70 stitches, 20 Staples, 3 screws, 2 crutches, and a partridge in a pear tree later and I still consider myself healthy :D

In 16 years of riding, my BDA (Battle Damage Assessment) has been:

1 broken ankle

1 broken wrist

1 broken elbow

1 torn ACL

2 broken ribs

1 broken tibia

2 concussions

Like Indiana Jones says, it's not the years, it's the mileage...

Ibuprofin is my friend.

George

Originally posted by Ghostrider

I found some stats..just thought I would share.

I'm not sure about anybody else..but it only makes me want to get back on the stick sooner...

For every day of riding, these are your odds...

(Based on the international resort injury survey)

40.3% of beginner snowboarders will require medical attention during the first day riding.

40.3 % of beginners require medical attention? I do not think this statistic is accurate--not at all. The others seem way too high as well.

I tried to google the 'international resort injury survey, but could not find the survey you quote. Would you please link to your source?

Cheers and thanks!

post-285-141842198057_thumb.jpg

Guest Ghostrider

ha yea...

it was one of those links I found through way too much clicking and surfing, so I cant even find it again...

But, I'd believe that 40.3% need medical help. Especially here in south western michigan. You get one day when 8 bus loads of Hoosiers come up from Indiana, and rent a snowboard and there is literally a line out the door of ski patrol that rivals the lift line and a continuous flow of ambulances making meat wagon runs to the hospital.

I'm sure at the larger resorts, the percentage is lower just because of the softer snow and more people take lessons. But it sounds right still, I think about half of the people I know ended up getting some kind of medical help. No fractures or serious stuff usually, but still an injury worth getting checked out.

From <a href="http://www.ski-injury.com/snowboard.htm" target="http://www.ski-injury.com/snowboard.htm">ski-injury.com report</a>: <p></p>

"...In terms of injury rates, most ski physicians agree that boarding carries a slightly higher risk of injury than alpine skiing - around 3-5 injuries per thousand boarder days (as compared to 2-4 per thousand days for skier injuries). Remember though - that is still very low - at worst 0.5%! Once again, so much for snowboarding being a dangerous sport eh?! "<p></p>

I suspect the numbers you posted might be a percentage breakdown of the types of reported injuries, not the overall percentage of people who are injured. <p></p>

<a href="http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/04_99/laskowski.htm">Another study</a>. Same rate overall injury rate of 5 injuries in 1000 skiers is quoted.<p></p>

Not surprisingly, there's a much higher proportion of injuries to the upper body (wrist, elbow, shoulder), but there has been a increase in the number of ACL injuries in recent years.

post-285-14184219806_thumb.jpg

unless your talking about the english that like to come over in the spring and texans of course

the thing is that stupidity is a huge part of this game I have seen people try to get a chair lift to go back down with thier skis on and not even think to ask me

or jump off the lift when they are 10 or 15 ft high because they dropped their pole

funny as hell to watch these morons

humans are the most inteligent creatures on this planet but do stupid that even the dumbest animal would not

in particular the 30 to 50 year old man with the I have been skiing for 25 years atitude they dont use common sense and will not listen to the people who use it for them

Ive been working at ski areas long enough that I can spot these people just at the first glance

I think 70% of the lift related injuries are due to skier/riders do not use their heads and preventable

on piste 50% are careless as well and 80% of the collisions are as well

this is just based on my observation

Guest johann

First day learning to ride on softies broke my thumb.

I Think a wrist guard may have made things worse had I been wearing em.

Nothing like ragdolling down the hill, ass over tea-kettle, and landing head first down the hill on one's back, with one's hand behind them.

Thumb Goes snapp!