Note to New Members ×

Wife needs new ski boots

Corey

Where do I even look for more info on ski boots? Google has been near useless aside from manufacturers ads rewritten on various retailers websites and extremely generic advice.

The first thing I've noticed is that heat-moldable liners are pretty uncommon in ski boots. Why is that? They're pretty much standard for snowboard boots beyond the cheapest models. After hearing me rave about mine, her next pair basically MUST have moldable liners.

She's somewhere between beginner and intermediate, very non-aggressive on the skis. She can confidently ski greens and easier blues. She can make it down blacks when necessary but she's in survival mode. Her goal is having fun, she wants to start carving a bit this year and building confidence. She has a size 6 foot that's a little wide and larger calves.

Any opinions on where to look?

Most ski boots now have moldable liners or at least parts of the liner are moldable.

Two places to check boots online are

for good reviews

http://www.bootfitters.com/08_reviews.htm

for specs and to find what year something is

http://www.sportsgearguide.com/gearguides.shtml

Sportsgearguide seems to be an example of a company that google doesn't like. It doesn't come up on a google search.

BobD

Back when I was working in shops and bootfitting, DalBello had the most friendly line-up of women's specific boots. They were wide in the fore foot, narrow in the heel and had short, large cuffs. Couldn't tell you what they are doing now.

DalBello's site

Another option worth considering is Full Tilt boots. These are the new version of the old Raichle Flexon boots. They have a lady's specific model.

Full Tilt's site

Corey, as I do boot-fitting myself, I can tell you that you should take your wife into a shop that has GOOD boot fitters. Don't narrow her down to a specific brand based on others saying "Oh that is a great model for women". FYI, every boot has a very different shape inside. Its important that someone look at her foot and determine what boot will fit her foot shape the best and also to put her in the correct size (lots of people are skiing in a size larger than what they should be in). Yes, all boot manufacturers have women's models now. Also, the same thermo liners that we use in our snowboard boots can be applied in ski boots and foam liners are an option also. The best recommendation is that you take your wife to a good shop w/a good boot fitter!

Thanks all!

I'm going to see if she can tough out the start of the season until we go to SES. 'Good bootfitters' and 'Manitoba' don't really go together, our ski scene is pretty weak.

Any recommendations in the Aspen area? Denver is another option as we'll likely be flying there and driving to Aspen. I had a very bad experience with Surefoot in Aspen, we won't be going back there again.