Note to New Members ×

Vinyl topsheet cover

xxguitarist

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want vinyl to stick for a long time use 3M #94 Tape Primer from the edge of the board a couple inches in. This stuff is what our shop uses around any contour on vehicles when we wrap them. Next up is 3M Edge Sealer #3950. This is brushed onto the edge of the vinyl and substrate to...you guessed it, seal in the edge. Also, don't touch the adhesive with your fingers, that will transfer body oils onto the adhesive leaving less adhesion.

I have not used either of these when doing boards for the removal factor. These make it much more difficult to remove. I use Avery MPI 1005 EZ RS material (white) and print whatever I want on it, apply it and let it be till I want to remove it. The edges will get knicks in it but it isn't a big deal. Keep your trusty exacto around to cleanup any lifting edge and it will last for quite a while.

If going to a shop for printing, use one with solvent capabilities like Sean said. Solvent inks have a longer lifespan (3-5yrs) before fading and some shops will have laminates which block UV rays adding to the life span. Any printed graphics should be laminated for durability and ease of installation.

Good luck and have fun with your topsheet.

Ink

If you really want vinyl to stick for a long time use 3M #94 Tape Primer from the edge of the board a couple inches in. This stuff is what our shop uses around any contour on vehicles when we wrap them. Next up is 3M Edge Sealer #3950. This is brushed onto the edge of the vinyl and substrate to...you guessed it, seal in the edge. Also, don't touch the adhesive with your fingers, that will transfer body oils onto the adhesive leaving less adhesion.

Ink

Thanks for that.. If this does not stick very well, I'll be sure to follow that procedure the next time around!

Ink and xxguitarist - since you did not already do the primer, maybe it would still be a good idea to do the sealer? I was wondering how I was going to seal it. I remember years ago we used clear nail polish to seal stickers on boards. Obviously this stuff should work better.

Ink - is there any other place to get this stuff? I ordered some vinyl from HH, but they do not have the stuff (at least that I could find) on their website. Would this be something I could find locally?

Ink and xxguitarist - since you did not already do the primer, maybe it would still be a good idea to do the sealer? I was wondering how I was going to seal it. I remember years ago we used clear nail polish to seal stickers on boards. Obviously this stuff should work better.

Clear nail polish works well also. Just remember that it is more difficult to remove and then would require some sanding to smooth out the sides.

Ink - is there any other place to get this stuff? I ordered some vinyl from HH, but they do not have the stuff (at least that I could find) on their website. Would this be something I could find locally?

The cans we have in the shop say "not for consumer use" so it may be difficult to find. We get ours from Midwest Sign Supply. It is also fairly expensive if you are just using it for a couple of boards.

Ink

Went with the "industrial look" and ordered some diamond plate and some silver chrome as well to my son's board and skis. I'll post when done.

Some of these types of material are made with some metal in them so you will be creating your very own "metal" snowboard. :)

Actually, these types of materials don't conform or flex as well and tend to release from the substrate when flexed. Snowboards aren't a good substrate for these materials.

Cast vinyl is best, then Calendered vinyl after that. The metal ones look cool when done until ridden and come undone.

Ink

Ink,

I just received my stuff from H& H.

I am planning on doing the fingernail polish to seal it. Is there a poor man's version of the primer?

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

Unfortunately I don't know of any other primers for this application. Just make sure that you clean the board very well with denatured alcohol. DA will evaporate off very quickly and not leave any residue.

Good luck and post picks when done.

I'll try to get picks of Concussed's board posted.

Ink

Well, ****.

I remember that ad. I was soooo close to buying that board.

But no, I decided to pass because I didn't like the graphics.

foreheadslap.gif

The axis that I re-covered?:D

Ink, I cleaned it very thoroughly with high % rubbing alch, I figure that'll do well enough.

Maybe I ought to seal up my edges with the fingernail polish as well..

Here is the board graphics that Concussed wanted in memory of DragonFlyJones. She came up with the concept, designed it, and I printed and laminated it at work. I think it came out quite well. No primer or edge sealing have been used and it was installed last season. There are a couple small edge spots that lifted that I trimmed but all is doing well.

post-955-141842265118_thumb.jpg

post-955-141842265121_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, I did this last year with my sons board. Jeff at hyghoctane.com designed and made me a topsheet for my son's board. At Christmas last year I found a girl's board at the right price, and since I have a daughter that can use it when he grows out of it - it just made sense. Hopefully these pics show what was done. After a year of hard riding there are some spots on the tip and tail that have come off, but only small spots. I recommend it and my boy loves it. He even put Kyle's football number on it. These were taken with my cel so they aren't great, but there's been almost no color fading.

Jeff

post-7590-141842268469_thumb.jpg

post-7590-141842268472_thumb.jpg

post-7590-141842268475_thumb.jpg