Note to New Members ×

Southern Ontario Session 09

csquared

The session is a great chance to ride with and learn from lots of people. However, it can be hard to keep up with the pack sometimes.

Scott, can you e-mail me through my profile so that I have your e-mail. I like to keep a everyone that is coming informed directly by e-mail.

Glad you can make it.

• 5 weeks later...

Glad you can make it again. Are you all getting exchange tickets or do you need me to put some names on the list for tickets? E-mail me through my profile and let me know.

Its getting close guys. The conditions are great. Hope we can get some sun to make it a perfect day.

Here's the list for Friday. I have group e-mailed everyone on this list but just to make sure, I am posting it here. If you're not on the list below and you're planning to attend, you had better get me your name pretty darn fast. You can e-mail through my profile or post here if you must. If your name is on the list and you are NOT going to be with us on Friday (you poor unfortunate sod) please let me know so that I can remove your name.

In alphabetical order:

Kevin Benner

Tony Boros

David Binder

Chris Couse (coordinator / host member)

Jeff Cooper

Rob Cox

Monique Cox

Sean Craigen

Mike D’Amico (Devil’s Glen member: will obtain exchange ticket)

Darren Eagles

Peter Halsall

Keith Hodgins

Stewart Hodgins

Chris Houghton

Henry Kim

Colin Leong

Greg Marsden

Ian MacKenzie

Beth McNally

Mike McNally

Andrea Morgan

Dave Morgan

Dave Niblett

Craig Nogas (Devils Glen member: will obtain exchange ticket)

Matt Osler (OBSC member: does not require ticket)

Brian Parrott

Derek Peeling

Victor Plopeanu

Mark Rattenbury

Rob Smith

Arthur Tateishi

Gabe Tung

Bruce Varsava

Leslie Varsava

Dr. John Vu

Imo Weinert

Scott Williamson

If you have not been to the event before you can find driving directions here. It is always good to get an early start so aim to arrive about 8:30 to be on the hill before 9:00. You will need to pick up your ticket at the ticket window that is located in the outdoor passage under the main clubhouse. The nice ladies will ask you for the name of the group you are with which is: "Southern Ontario Carvers". I will have provided the above list of names to the ticket ladies and if your name is not there, you are out of luck. Tickets will be $65 which is the going rate at Osler on a Friday (yes, I know it seems expensive but I can't do anything about it).

Boot changing and lockers are through the doors on your left off of the passage (there are no coin lockers, only cubbies). If you have an FRS radio the group will be on channel 7/21 and you can track us down that way if you arrive late. I would recommend that we break for lunch around 11:45 (this will give us a good run at the hills when they clear over the lunch hour). We will use the upper chalet (top of the high speed quad) for lunch. Bring a lunch if you wish to or you can buy a lunch at the Upper Chalet.

Once again, our good friends at YYZ CANUCK are sponsoring an apres event at 4:00 with snacks for anyone who can still walk. Its a great way to finish the day. You can chat with riders you couldn't catch on the hill or negotiate the details of a new snowboard with our buddies at Coiler. If you have any gear you would like to pick up from Dave and Andrea, this would be a good time and place to take delivery so get your orders in today.

Expect good conditions. The gods have been kind to us this season and the snow has been plentiful. Friday's forecast is still a mystery: pray for sunshine.

I have generally had good feedback from other guests and members after this event in the past. Only once did we antagonize another group of guests. So, lets show those less fortunate than us (anyone not able to enjoy our sport) once again that we can be magnanimous, courteous, and well mannered on the slopes. And lets give them a show they won't soon forget.

Hope too see you all there.

A few years ago, I bought Rob Sydia's Prior 175. I've only ridden it a few times since then but I found it is too stiff for me (i'm a lightweight ;)). I've been too lazy to sell it because I don't want to deal with shipping, etc. So if anybody is interested, I can bring it to the SOS. I'm looking for $200. It has lots of camber. It is a WRC 175 with an ~18cm waist. A few minor top sheet blems but only cosmetic. Prob. built for somebody around 185 lbs.

Let me know if you want me to bring it. You are welcome to test ride it if you are interested. I would suggest bringing bindings if that is the case.

Derek

That's funny, I just got home too but I left two (or more) hours before you. Anyway, I would like to thank Chris for being a great host and giving us all the chance to get together and have a great day. Thanks to everyone I shared a lift with and to those I didn't, there's always next year!

What a fun day. Everything from sun to snow and carvers on every hill.

Chris, thanks again for having us all up. Osler sets the bar really high for carving locally.

Andrea and Dave, the food helped us make it through a very slow drive home. I swear we followed every snowplow in Ontario on the way.

it was a great day with 36 turning out by my straw count. This was by far the biggest turnout to date for the event. Best of all, it was an injury free day and everyone left with a smile on his / her face (especially me). Thanks to all for making it a great day and thanks to Dave and Andrea for the apres food.

One irony that struck me in retrospect this morning was that there was hardly a board on the hill that was not created by Bruce and yet he was the one buying rounds at the end of the day. This seems a more than a little upside down. Most of us would have had a lot less pleasure if we hadn't had a piece of Bruce's handiwork underfoot. Next year, I think we owe Bruce more than a few rounds (perhaps a burger or two would go some way to addressing this debt).

And ladies, the schtubette lives!